C&C - Dragon Ball Super - "Hope!! Redux - Awaken In The Present, Trunks!" [1/27]

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
Yeah, I'm sure you'll find him, "Black." By the way, how come you're wearing only one earring and it's on your left ear?

jaylop97

Staff member
There goes the fun of the game. Way to ruin it Goku, that is the only fun for them in the lookout.

Hypeathon

Uh..... Trunks?

zYyx4Il.gif

DBTrilogy100

The recap scene for this episode provides us with different music, perhaps to reflect the darker tone of the Future Trunks Saga/Black Saga. Picking up where we last left off, Future Trunks has come face-to-face with Black, who is revealed to be an Evil Goku (although he refers to Future Trunks as "Saiyan" quite a bit). Realizing that Black doesn't seem to be aware of the time machine, Future Trunks puts up a bit of a fight and then distracts Black with a Masenko (one of Gohan's attacks) and successfully uses the time machine. Black is notably surprised that he can no longer sense Future Trunks' energy signature.

We then cut to the Main Timeline, where a teacher is teaching Trunks and the Pilaf Trio at Capsule Corporation. When they take a lunch break, the time machine arrives and they get Bulma who recognizes Future Trunks and rushes off to let Vegeta know. Noticing the similarities between the two, Pilaf mistakes Future Trunks as Present Trunks' secret, older brother. Bulma finds the communicator Whis gave her to contact him so she can reach Vegeta and she's glad to see Goku is there too. Present Trunks raises his power level so Goku can lock on to it with Instant Transmission; Beerus & Whis decide to tag along with the Saiyan duo. Goku then uses Instant Transmission to reach Korin's Tower to get some Senzu Beans and the teacher decides to take a break after all the weirdness she's seen. In the Alternate Timeline, Black vows to hunt down Future Trunks no matter what it takes. In the Main Timeline, Goku returns to Capsule Corporation and Bulma gives Future Trunks a Senzu Bean. The episode ends with Future Trunks attacking Goku, thinking he is Black due to PTSD and the last time he saw this Goku was when Cell killed him.

Sean Schemmel had mentioned before that he always wanted to play Evil Goku and it looks like he gets his wish thanks to this saga. Although Black seems to be Goku in some capacity, it is strange that he calls Future Trunks "Saiyan" as if he weren't one too and he is wearing a single Potara Earring, which is usually associated with the Supreme Kais. The teacher's reaction to all the weird stuff going on was pretty funny. Seeing Future Trunks use the Masenko was rather heartwarming since it references how Future Gohan was his mentor. I continue to look forward to watching this saga.

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I want to live at Capsule Corp :(

Anyone know if there's a particular reason that future Trunks' hair color was changed?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Anyone know if there's a particular reason that future Trunks' hair color was changed?
Behind the scenes, the animation studio messed up on Bulma's hair color. Then when Future Trunks came, they kept his hair purple. So when Toriyama did redesigns for Super, he did Future Trunks with blue hair.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Interesting. Is this sort of like Vegeta's original color scheme for his first anime appearance, which were the wrong colors?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Interesting. Is this sort of like Vegeta's original color scheme for his first anime appearance, which were the wrong colors?
Yeah, it was a similar situation. I can't remember if he was consistent with hair color on the manga covers and what not but he didn't tell Toei until later on that all pure Saiyans had black hair but here and there they ignored that like in the Bardock special.

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
Toriyama specifically told the anime crew to have Future Trunks have blue hair as well.

Also, here are Toriyama's designs for Future Trunks for this arc. Note, there are spoilers for Future Trunks' second outfit for this arc:

latest

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts