C&C - Dragon Ball Super - "An Extra-Dimensional Ultimate Battle! Hit Vs. Jiren!!" [5/18]

• Enter to win two tickets to Whisper of the Heart. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
U.S.A.
Breaking time with his eyes? I think Jiren may have just topped Tao Pai-pai killing a man with his tongue.

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
U.S.A.
And Hit is outta here.

Sorry Hit, but Jiren's the new hotness.

And now two clowns from a failed mecha franchise show up.

And other a two-week dry spell we finally get another KO. That makes 50 fighters knocked out with 30 remaining. And this, apparently, marks the halfway point of the Tournament of Power, time-wise (though one could argue time has no meaning in Dragon Ball)

DBTrilogy100

Mar 9, 2010
United States
Hit faces off against Jiren in tonight's episode. The episode starts with Frieza aiming an energy blast at Goku, who has used up his power after Ultra Instinct wore off in the previous episode; Frieza tells Goku that he took him to a blind spot within the arena so that no one else can see where they are. Frieza launches the energy blast towards Goku...which replenishes some of Goku's power; Frieza says they're now even (in reference to when Goku replenished some of Frieza's energy before Namek blew up) and admits he still needs Goku participating in the tournament, especially when it comes to fighting Jiren. Frieza asks Goku if he heard what the majority of the Divine Beings were talking about in the previous episode and when Goku says he didn't, Frieza tells him that the Divine Beings called the power Goku achieved in the previous episode "(Autonomous) Ultra Instinct". Frieza then heads to a different part of the arena and Goku wonders if he could defeat Jiren if he reactivates Ultra Instinct.

Hit continues to try to fight Jiren after his sneak attack from the previous episode didn't work and Jiren sees the Time-Skip Ability in action; the Omni-Kings take an interest in the fight between Hit & Jiren. Hit comments about having an idea of Jiren's attacks that Goku went up against; Jiren asks if Hit believes he can win and Hit answers that he plans to fulfill his job. Top admits Hit is putting up a decent fight against Jiren; Hit attempts another attack by entering a pocket dimension he creates by storing the time he skips and leaving an illusion of himself in the "main dimension" (as explained by Whis) but Jiren manages to detect & defend himself from this strategy, much to Champa's surprise and Vados acknowledges that Jiren's power is frightening. Hit & Jiren continue to fight but Jiren is able to adapt to Hit's Time-Skip Ability; Vados points out that none of Hit's attacks have effected Jiren and Fuwa panics. Champa & Shin both wonder why Hit is still using the Time-Skip Ability even though it isn't working and Jiren thinks Hit is just wasting time; Hit repeats that he needs to fulfill his job and Goku watches the fight from some rubble.

The Universe 6 Namekians find Goku and prepare to attack him...but Gohan & Piccolo arrive to deflect the energy blasts and say that they will be their opponents; the Universe 6 Namekians (the thin one is voiced by Brandon Potter and the bulky one wearing gloves is voiced by Jarrod Greene) are surprised to see a Universe 7 Namekian and are happy to accept Gohan & Piccolo's challenge. Vegeta is fighting Ribrianne and Roasie eventually joins the fight to help Ribrianne (which Jerez & Universe 2's Supreme Kai consider to be heart warming); Ribrianne & Roasie hide among some rubble when Vegeta's energy blasts create a dust cloud and Vegeta leaves when he thinks they went to a different part of the arena. Ribrianne admits that she is losing hope for the Universe 2 Team to win the Tournament of Power and Roasie slaps Ribrianne and gives a quick speech on "the power of love"; Ribrianne's confidence is restored and she thanks Roasie for pep-talk. The Universe 6 Saiyans watch the fight between Hit & Jiren from a distance and Caulifla thinks they should join the fight but Cabba points out that Hit has a plan in mind; Cabba points out how Hit is making a point to block when Jiren attacks him and Cabba suspects that Hit is waiting for the right time to counter attack. Hit mentally notes that he has memorized the timing of Jiren's counters and thinks now is the time to finish things; Hit uses a shockwave punch to distract Jiren so that Hit can punch Jiren to trap him in a "time prison".

The punch pushes Jiren to the edge of the arena and a purple outline surrounds Jiren; Goku goes to different rubble to get a closer look at Jiren's current predicament and figures this is Hit's "ace-in-the hole". Hit is holding out his hand (which also has a purple outline) and the Universe 6 Saiyans go to different rubble so that they can also get a closer look at the fight. Cae & Vermoud are surprised that Jiren is paralyzed and Vados clarifies that Hit continuously using the Time-Skip Ability was to strengthen the time prison, much to the relief of Fuwa & Champa; Hit urges the Universe 6 Saiyans to leave because they have their own roles to play for the sake of Universe 6 and assures them he can handle Jiren. The Universe 6 Saiyans agree to go along with Hit's instructions and Champa comments about how Hit is usually a "lone wolf" while Vados suspects that Hit plans to use all his power to keep Jiren paralyzed until the time limit runs out, leaving the other members of the Universe 6 Team still participating in the tournament to eliminate other fighters from the tournament; Jiren is starting to walk again (although he is struggling) and Hit realizes that his power won't last long enough to keep Jiren paralyzed until the time limit runs out.

Hit decides that he needs to make a huge gamble even if that isn't the "assassin way" and Hit lunges towards Jiren with an energy blast...but Jiren manages to break the energy blast and acts dismissive towards the idea of "an assassin's pride"; Champa is baffled that Jiren could stop Hit's ultimate attack and Vados says Jiren's power "transcends time itself". Tien & Shin are also surprised by what Jiren accomplished while the Divine Beings of Universe 11 comment about how Jiren continues to prove that he is Universe 11's MVP; eventually, Jiren blasts Hit off the arena and the Grand Minister declares Hit's elimination from the Tournament of Power. Vermoud claims no one can defeat Jiren and Champa praises Hit for doing his best during the tournament; Hit admits he figured he lost when his gamble didn't work but Champa assures Hit that his efforts won't be in vain.

Vados acknowledges that Hit's elimination puts the Universe 6 Team at a real disadvantage but Cabba refuses to let Hit's efforts be in vain; the Grand Minister declares that the time limit for the Tournament of Power has reached the half-way mark and changes the sky to a green color. Jiren tells Top and Dispo that he will let them take care of the rest of the fighters since he thinks the fighters that could challenge him have failed (he says this while looking at Goku from a distance); Jiren then enters a meditative state which the Grand Minister takes as a sign of confidence in victory on Jiren's part and Vermoud says no one else can threaten Jiren at this point in time. Goku reacts to Jiren's comment and two fighters from Universe 3 (the robot looking fighter is voiced by Shawn Gann and the fighter wearing a uniform with a "P" on it is voiced by Garret Storms) attempt to attack Jiren but are unable to break through Jiren's energy barrier; Top & Dispo say not being able to break through Jiren's energy barrier means they weren't worthy of fighting him in the first place. The episode ends with Goku determined to have a rematch with Jiren.

The fight between Hit and Jiren was pretty cool but I admit I expected Hit to be one of the last eliminations for the Universe 6 Team; that just leaves Universe 6's 3 Saiyans and 2 Namekians still participating in the Tournament of Power. It was also cool to see the Universe 6 Namekians in action even if it was only briefly, the design of the bulky Namekian wearing gloves sort of reminds of the design of Lord Slug (the main villain of DBZ Movie 4). Hit looking out for his teammates and concern for Universe 6 was heart warming; Champa complimenting Hit for doing his best was also heart warming. Frieza replenishing some of Goku's power was a cool reversal of what happened during the Frieza Saga in DBZ and Frieza was the one who told Goku about his new power being called "(Autonomous) Ultra Instinct"; I think it's safe to say Goku will activate Ultra Instinct again but it's more a question of how he will reactivate it. It seems as though the FUNimation Dub is going with "Autonomous Ultra Instinct" for mouth flap/lip flap reasons ("Migatte no Gokui" has more syllables than "Ultra Instinct"). It also looks like Jiren won't be fighting again until later on in the Tournament of Power. The Tournament of Power has reached the half-way mark and the sky is green now, I imagine the intensity will grow in the later half of the tournament.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
I remember when this first aired in Japan, a lot of people were upset (Hit is a fan favorite). I think everyone assumed he would be one of the last guys to get knocked out, but I like that the show gave us a wrinkle like that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Heh, knew Frieza would heal him in a twist of fate/callback. It's interesting he's been able to fight in and stick to Form 4 this whole time without going Golden whereas Goku and Vegeta have had to alternate between base, SS, and SSB.

Wow, if Hit couldn't stop Jiren... but to escape the time prison -- this is starting to come off a tad OP... so it's up to the three Saiyans -- oh -- and two Namekians. Well, Gohan, all that training with one better come in handy. Heh, it was amusing those other 2 called Jiren on his jerk move to meditate, lmao.

Glad to see Vegeta starting to get an upperhand on Ribrianne. But so annoying they always seem to scamper off!

TheGreatOne2

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I noticed that funimation made a dub error. The Grand Minster said hit is from the 11th universe when he was elimated when he is from 6th Universe

Radical

Banned
Nov 7, 2004
Lacey,Washington
Episode 111 was awesome,

Frieza to heal Goku was great, Goku did a good thing on sparing him on Namek.

Love Saonel/Pirina the Universe 6 Namekians, finally they show themselves to get some fight action to fight Gohan/Piccolo, cool for Piccolo to fight them, they have cool designs looking like Piccolo/Lord Slug, I'll enjoy Gohan/Piccolo vs. Saonel/Pirina, my next favorite best battle:D.

Vegeta vs. Ribrianne was cool, Vegeta facing his fear to punch Ribrianne was so funny, hahahahaha, but I'll be happy to see Vegeta punch Caulifla though:D.

Poor Ribrianne losing hope and Rozie motivating her was sweet/touching, love their sweet character development moment:anime:.

Hit vs. Jiren was awesome/intense, Hit's cool time-skip powers have no effect on Jiren though, my favorite best battle.

Hit caring for his teammates while protecting Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale to win for Universe 6 was sweet/heartwarming:D.

Poor Hit eliminated by Jiren was intense, he fought hard and did an amazing battle.

Champa to show concern for his top ace fighter Hit was nice.

Jiren won't be fighting while meditating, Jiren awesome.

Viara/Katopesla trying to attack Jiren was great/funny, love their cool dub voices.

It reaches the half-way mark and the sky turns green, cool.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
I noticed that funimation made a dub error. The Grand Minster said hit is from the 11th universe when he was elimated when he is from 6th Universe
I had to go back and watch, but you're right. D'oh, seems like a pretty basic mistake for FUNimation to make, but I suppose they're trying to hurry with the dub so that they can catch up to Japan already.

@Yojimbo

To be fair, unlike Goku and Vegeta, Frieza has spent his time either watching other people fight, or toying with no-names. He's taking the "conserve your energy" plan seriously, at least.

And yeah, Jiren is super OP, arguably the most OP character in the franchise. A lot of people hated him for that very reason when the show was first airing.

Reactions: Yojimbo

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
And yeah, Jiren is super OP, arguably the most OP character in the franchise. A lot of people hated him for that very reason when the show was first airing.
So I take it that a bunch of them ganging up on Jiren at once wouldn't do squat either. I wonder if any of the fighters have any mental attacks since the physical ones aren't doing squat. Or, God forbid, but I wonder if they can use the rules against him. Like someone sacrificing him or herself so Jiren gets DQ'ed for killing and in exchange the Z Fighters will use the Dragon Balls to bring him or her back to life.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
That and Jiren is pretty boring and one note. I mean being super serious and stoic as the main and seemingly most powerful antagonist of this arc (to not really spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet) is different for a Dragon Ball villain but it's not something you can really hold for a long time. I mean a villain soaking up and delighting in their evil is really fun to watch especially seeing them get their comeuppance down the road but guys like Jiren for the most part just standing around or now just sitting down and mediating and only occasionally get involved isn't really that fun to see play out in a huge arc like this one.

I will give credit though that IMHO this actually is a better episode then that two part/one hour special. Since quite honestly at least in this instance, Hit is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more likeable and honestly much more of a heroic character then Goku was in his fight with Jiren. Since though a bit of stoic character himself we've seen enough of the guy to get more a grasp of his personality and unlike just brute strength Hit actually has a unique sort of power of his own. Which yeah some would say is a gimmick but the fact we actually see him stragetize and actually push Jiren some with time skip and it's variations is actually interesting. Plus yeah Hit is doing this for the sake of his team thus why the whole "I'm counting on you guys to hold the line for me" actually means something... granted kind of does feel like Hit is ignoring those two namekians who... this episode finally again show us are a thing but eh I can buy him not really knowing them at all. Plus the fact he actually does get eliminated actually shows this one has stakes and IMHO his elimination is handled a lot better here in the manga. Which had this stupid thing about Goku not wanting to tag team preferring one on one fights and still trying to feel out Jiren's power and ugh so stupid. This one feels respectful and hey like the rest of the tourney feels like a break from what we normally see in DB. Granted Goku does appear due to the reveal Freeza gave him some of his energy but he doesn't hog the spotlight otherwise from that so we can just enjoy this specific battle even though it still feels like other things are going on in this tourney. So yeah decently solid enough episode honestly.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Hot take, I actually found this fight better than Goku vs. Jiren. The kind of fights where characters flail around and miss each other a bunch of times types of fights get repetitive after a while. Maybe that framerate issue someone mentioned last week informed my opinion, but I found quite a few Super fights better than Goku vs Jiren.

Gold Guy

Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
So I take it that a bunch of them ganging up on Jiren at once wouldn't do squat either.
Yeah, when Hit sent his teammates off, I guess the implication was that he believed they wouldn't be able to defeat Jiren, even when he was paralyzed.

BUT, without direct spoilers, we will see more than one person try to fight Jiren down the road...

It is odd that there aren't many Dragon Ball characters with mental abilities. We had Babidi with his telepathy and mind control, but that's about it off the top of my head.

A.Magik

Sep 28, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
-During the 21st Budokai, Roshi used telepathy to read Namu's mind and learn his motives for fighting.
-Karin read Goku's mind when he entered his tower.
-Tenshinhan and Chaouzu shared a telepathic rapport.
-Piccolo Daimao could telepathically contact his demons, like when he commanded Tambourine to stop his 'Kill all the martial artists' mission (Yamucha was the next target) and go and avenge Cymbal's death by killing his murderer Yajirobe (leading to his own death by Goku). Piccolo also had this power, eg. getting Gohan to save him from Dr. Gero.
-King Kai contacted Goku at Earth and Namek, and created a rapport between Vejita (and Mr. Satan) and the people of Earth to energize Goku's Genki Dama against Kid Buu.
-Goku once had telepathy, reading Kuririn's mind to learn about their Namek adventures before his Namek arrival.

But all of these are limited to reading and messages. None of them using their mental powers to harm a person (maybe when Gohan knocked Kuririn during a mind game during their travel to Namek).

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Captain Underpants season 3 July 19
Happy 41st birthday, Garfield!
So there's a reboot of this old French series called Oum the White Dolphin. Found it while channel surfing and initially thought it was CGI, but no!
Why are the forums all squished down to the left?
It's been about two years since I joined Toonzone/Animesuperhero. I've come a long way since my days on Fairly Odd Parents wiki.