C&C - Dragon Ball Super - "A Challenge From Champa! This Time, A Baseball Game!!" [7/7]

Hypeathon

This franchise.... REALLY likes to make Yamcha the butt-monkey:

138.jpg

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
New meaning to the term "sacrifice" indeed. Also, Yamcha sure knows how to take quite a bit.

And wow, Champa's plan backfired.

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
By the way, Magetta, don't think I missed you giving your teammate a boost when the opposing team tried to capitalize on your Mighty Glacier status. Failure wasn't even on you there either so no problems on that front.

DBTrilogy100

The episode starts with Champa & Vados contacting Beerus & Whis via holo-staff with Champa suggesting a baseball match between Universe 6 & Universe 7 as a way to strengthen goodwill between the universes. However, Universe 6's Destroyer is really just looking for an excuse to eat some food from Universe 7's Earth (he anticipates a feast at the end of the game regardless of who wins, which means Champa will still get what he wants) and Vados manages to trick Champa into actual joining in on the game by saying the exercise will make the food taste even better.

The game is located in Universe 7 and everyone manages to find a baseball field for the game. Beerus says he'll act as the "manager" of the Universe 7 Team, meaning he won't actually be playing during the game. Yamcha is the Captain of the Universe 7 Team and the other members include Goku, Trunks, Gohan, Piccolo & Krillin. Vegeta & Goten are playing for the Universe 6 Team (which all consists of Champa, Cabba, Botamo & Auta Magetta) to make the number of players per team equal, Hit isn't present as Champa says he's hard to contact since Hit is a "covert operative" and Frost is not present due to his true colors being exposed back in the Champa Saga. Whis & Vados are acting as the co-referees of this game, they each have a rulebook on hand and they make a point to lay down a rule against acts of destruction, stressing that this baseball game is meant to be for the sake of goodwill.

The game starts with Goku as the pitcher and Champa as the batter; Goku has trouble pitching (with regards to how powerful to make his throws) for the first 2 times but Champa is out after 3 strikes (Trunks catches the ball by blasting it as Strike 3). Yamcha takes the pitcher position next and he manages to hit Botamo & Cabba with 3 Strikes each thanks to a combination of the Wolf Fang Fist & the Spirit Ball; this leads to the Universe 7 Team taking up the batter position and the Universe 6 Team taking up the pitcher position.

Yamcha takes the batter position and Vegeta takes the pitcher position, Vegeta throws the ball at Yamcha thinking that beating each player will lead to victory but Whis clarifies the rules and allows Yamcha to walk to First Base, he also warns Vegeta not to hit the players in the future. Goku takes the batter position next and both he and Vegeta power up to Super Saiyan Blue; their struggle allows Yamcha to reach Second Base (Vados rules Yamcha as safe due to Champa obstructing the runner). Gohan takes the batter position next and Yamcha reaches Third Base (Whis & Vados rules Yamcha as safe due to Champa throwing the ball at him, which doesn't count as an out because a player must have the ball in their hand or glove when they tag another player in order to count as an out).

Champa mocks Yamcha's determination to reach Home Base by mocking Beerus, which leads to Beerus & Champa preparing to fight each other and causes destruction throughout the baseball field due to a universe being threatened when two or more Destroyers fight each other. Whis & Vados put a stop to the brothers fighting before it becomes even more intense and declare the game over because of the blatant disregard for the no destruction rule with the winner being Universe 7 because Yamcha managed to reach Home Base during Beerus & Champa's brief fight...although he is in the same pose he was in when he was killed by a Saibaman during the Saiyan Saga (something Krillin & Piccolo point out). The episode ends with Champa encouraging Cabba, Botamo & Auta Magetta to continue practicing while they're in the Hexahedron to return to Universe 6 and Vados thinking to herself that Champa is focusing more on the game then the food.

This was definitely a hilarious episode, I can see why many fans like this episode. Yamcha playing baseball was featured in Filler from (Regular) DBZ and was actually a suggestion made by Akira Toriyama, so it was nice to see him actually play an important role was great. Depending on who you ask, the reference to Yamcha's death pose was either funny or mean spirited, it definitely highlights his status as the Z-Fighters' butt monkey. I admit, it would have been funny to see Hit participate in a "comically serious" sort of way. From what I have heard, the remaining 6 breather episodes will consist of 3 Two Parters.

Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
After so many episodes it was about time Yamcha played a role, it sure was a refresher to see him play an active role and give a helping hand.

A.Magik

From what I've gathered, Yamucha's baseball career (which appeared twice in DBZ) had been accepted by Toriyama as canon.

I think the bug-man is a Dr. Slump character.

And for the first time since the Resurrection F arc, Gohan becomes part of the story. This is his first meeting with the Universe 6 cast (due to missing out on the Tournament because of a conference). This is also one of the rare times Goku and Gohan share a conversation.

Did Vejita ever find out about the RV incident from DRAGON BALL Chapter 9/Episode 6? Since Yamucha and Pu'ar would have kept silent, that leaves Oolong. If he confessed, he would probably omit his drugging Bulma for reasons that would not fly these days.

Cute scene of Goku, Gohan, Vejita, and Kuririn attempting to protect their families during the brothers' quarrel.

"Don't remind me." Either Gohan is referencing his near-death from Goku's pitch earlier this episode, or Yamucha's position is reminding him of his 5-year-old trauma of witnessing a lot of humanoid deaths during the Vejita & Nappa fight.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Yamcha did something? This was funny.

Anyway, I'll be responding pretty late because of con obligations, but I will be excited to keep talking anime.

Rod G

Love the look on Champa’s face . . .

Attachments

• 6E842378-9E9D-4F81-8789-30F137C1A6BC.jpeg
    6E842378-9E9D-4F81-8789-30F137C1A6BC.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 310

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts