C&C - Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - "The Smell of Enchanting Blood" [12/7]

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
^I guess things pick up. We're still early into the series.

I forgot to mention it. So Muzan recognized the hanafuda earrings. Hmm, was Tanjiro and Nezuko's dad a Demon Slayer? Or just a coincidence both slayers had the same kind of earrings and red hair?

PicardMan

Staff member
^I guess things pick up. We're still early into the series.

Yeah. We're 8 episodes into the show and we still haven't met the guy with the boar head in the opening who's supposed to be some super hyped character. I still give props to the visuals in this show as they are well done. Akame ga Kill syndrome is something that even fans admit is a significant problem with this series, but there's supposed to be more good points to balance that flaw out.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
It's a Shonen Jump series, so to an extent, it's always going to be a bit goofy. It's just more jarring because the violence is less censored compared to many other Jump adaptions.

For my money, Demon Slayer is better than Dr. Stone, but not quite as interesting as Promised Neverland. IMO, Demon Slayer is nothing special plot wise; most of the people calling it the "Best Shonen ever!" either just say that because of the gorgeous visuals, or because it was their first Shonen. But it doesn't really do anything that different fro most Jump manga.

PicardMan

Staff member
It's a Shonen Jump series, so to an extent, it's always going to be a bit goofy. It's just more jarring because the violence is less censored compared to many other Jump adaptions.

Some shonen seem pretty humorless. Not many laughs in Promised Neverland and most laughs in Death Note seem unintentional. Now that I think about it, awkward tone shifts are common enough that even a classic like FMA had them. Akame ga Kill probably is still the most egregious offender ever of awkward shifts from darkness to comedy.

For my money, Demon Slayer is better than Dr. Stone, but not quite as interesting as Promised Neverland. IMO, Demon Slayer is nothing special plot wise; most of the people calling it the "Best Shonen ever!" either just say that because of the gorgeous visuals, or because it was their first Shonen

I know that Dr. Stone can sometimes be slow and relaxed compared to the high stakes tension of most shonen, so I get that. It seems that we have a newbie boom in the anime world and lots of gen Zs seem to only watch whatever's current and don't watch catalog titles. I guess my knowledge of both old and new anime is why I tend to dominate trivia contests at cons. They probably haven't seen either of the Ufotable Fate series even though they aren't that old. Fate/Zero especially is probably still the studio's magnum opus, but I know that a shonen will always get way more mainstream exposure.

Lawren22

The show didn't really starting getting called a masterpiece tell episode 19 before that it had its fans but was overshadowed by Attack on Titan Season 3 part 2 and The Promised Neverland. The episode itself is pretty good but not the greatest anime episode of all time that MAL thinks it is imo(so yeah the show was just considered good at first then became a masterpiece and the best new anime of 2019 completely because of one episode ). People also say Tanjioro is a very unique protagonist because he feels sympathy for the enemy but still thinks they need to be kill unlike other shonen leads who either have no sympathy for the villains are completely forgive them but I think there has still a few shonen leads withhis mindset . Still thought it's a well executed battle shonen with likeable characters, nice atmosphere and good animation thought.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
They probably haven't seen either of the Ufotable Fate series even though they aren't that old. Fate/Zero especially is probably still the studio's magnum opus, but I know that a shonen will always get way more mainstream exposure.

I can confirm this is true. One guy on Twitter was shocked/sad because a lot of people who were praising Ufotable's animation for this show admitted that they hadn't seen either Fate show. And I thought Zero had been a huge hit just a few years ago...

I put Demon Slayer in a similar category to Gurren Lagann. I don't personally consider the to be the best shows ever, but the amazing animation, likable characters, and exciting fight scenes make it easy to see why they became so mainstream.

Light Lucario

Staff member
For my money, Demon Slayer is better than Dr. Stone, but not quite as interesting as Promised Neverland. IMO, Demon Slayer is nothing special plot wise; most of the people calling it the "Best Shonen ever!" either just say that because of the gorgeous visuals, or because it was their first Shonen. But it doesn't really do anything that different fro most Jump manga.

That's basically how I feel about those three series as well. I like all three of them, but I think Promised Neverland had a more interesting premise and intensity despite having hardly any action. Dr. Stone is pretty fun, but it can be too slow and calm. Demon Slayer thus far is so far pretty good and I'd say it's better than Dr. Stone, but I also don't really see much for the hype beyond the visuals being pretty impressive.

The show didn't really starting getting called a masterpiece tell episode 19 before that it had its fans but was overshadowed by Attack on Titan Season 3 part 2 and The Promised Neverland. The episode itself is pretty good but not the greatest anime episode of all time that MAL thinks it is imo(so yeah the show was just considered good at first then became a masterpiece and the best new anime of 2019 completely because of one episode ). People also say Tanjioro is a very unique protagonist because he feels sympathy for the enemy but still thinks they need to be kill unlike other shonen leads who either have no sympathy for the villains are completely forgive them but I think there has still a few shonen leads withhis mindset . Still thought it's a well executed battle shonen with likeable characters, nice atmosphere and good animation thought.

I'm almost positive that other protagonists have a similar kind of mindset as Tanjiro does. Plus, Tanjiro is kind of in a position where he can't just not kill demons. Up until this episode, it didn't seem that demons could co-exist with people peacefully and even then, it's still a huge rarity. Demons have been shown to primarily be monsters, so they kind of have to be killed with this setup. I like Demon Slayer, but I'm still not sure if I understand the hype behind it. It might become clearer once more of the main cast shows up.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. It figures that Munzan would use that newly turned demon to get away from Tanjiro. I also expected that he'd kill all of the people in that alley way with ease, but that woman's death was extremely gruesome and horrifying. Admittedly, the comedy bits afterwards didn't feel too jarring to me tone wise, but I think having a commercial break between those scenes helped with that. Yushiro seemed pretty rude with insulting Nezuko like that, but Tamayo seemed pretty nice. The fact that she could survive with minimal amounts of blood is pretty impressive. It might be too risky to try that with Nezuko when she has been tempted to eat people already, but it at least shows that it is possible to be a demon and still try to help people. Testing Nezuko's blood should be easy enough, but getting other blood samples would be pretty difficult.

Those two demons attacking their home were pretty brutal. I also think that Tanjiro and Nezuko's father was a demon slayer based on how Muzan reacted to the earnings. It could explain why he just suddenly attacked Tanjiro's family too. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Birthday, Justin Felbinger
How come nobody made SpongeBob talk back? It's currently airing new episodes every Fridays
Since I'm in New Hampshire, there's snow outside today.
kecskezombi01 wrote on KristofLaci991130's profile.
Hello, here. Are you living in a Hungarian city?

Featured Posts