C&C - Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - "Rehabilitation Training" [4/18]

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yes, Baby Yoda wasn't chasing who he perceives to be beautiful women around. If anything, this episode proved he's perverted.

Exactly. I don't understand the appeal of Zenitsu in general when I find him unbearably annoying, but this notion that he's so pure and innocent when he was clearly gushing over the prospect of girls touching him in this episode is just mind boggling to me. He isn't at a Mineta level of being a pervert fortunately, but I do think that seeing these women who were effectively doing his physical therapy treatment for him as just girls who have to touch him makes him look pretty shallow. He only saw pretty girls and nothing else when he saw them.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Exactly. I don't understand the appeal of Zenitsu in general when I find him unbearably annoying, but this notion that he's so pure and innocent when he was clearly gushing over the prospect of girls touching him in this episode is just mind boggling to me. He isn't at a Mineta level of being a pervert fortunately, but I do think that seeing these women who were effectively doing his physical therapy treatment for him as just girls who have to touch him makes him look pretty shallow. He only saw pretty girls and nothing else when he saw them.
I don't find him unbearably annoying. Yes, he has some traits that annoy me and he can be shallow. But he's a loyal friend when treated kindly and I'm intrigued with his two personas and how crazy fast/strong he is in his more stoic form.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't find him unbearably annoying. Yes, he has some traits that annoy me and he can be shallow. But he's a loyal friend when treated kindly and I'm intrigued with his two personas and how crazy fast/strong he is in his more stoic form.

Zenitsu is far too insufferable for me to find him interesting at this point. He isn't a terrible person and despite how much I loathe him, I don't think I'd say he's terribly written per say either, at least for his role. I just think he's too annoying, loud and unlikable for me to be invested in. Because they go so far and so hard with his comedic gags and scenes, it makes the more serious moments feel too unbelievable or too jarring. As nice as the gesture of protecting Nezuko from Inosuke was, it felt too much of a sudden turn from his previous behavior to be believable. That pretty much applies to nearly all of the serious moments from Zenitsu thus far.

His two personas feel less like an interesting storyline to me and more like a cop out in a sense. Zenitsu can be the annoying virtually useless comedy relief character and the gifted ace in the hole of the team at the same time. Admittedly, it does help in a way that he was only able to master one of the techniques, so his sleeping state isn't just instantly perfect, but it still bothers me more than anything else. Zenitsu just makes the show immensely worse for me and I'd much rather just have him gone at this point.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Zenitsu just makes the show immensely worse for me and I'd much rather just have him gone at this point.
Well, I'd think sooner or later, they will have to split up. There will probably be a time when they each get their own missions in different parts of the country. It was said at the meeting that demon activity is increasing. They're going to have to send slayers on lone missions to handle all the missions if cases start to pop up all at the same time. And pretty much like any Jump manga turned anime, the cast will ebb and flow like Dragon Ball/Z/Super has for example. In theory.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter

Seeing the normally cowardly Zenitsu getting angry and flogging Tanjiro and Inosuke was hilarious. To Tanjiro and Inosuke, the training was tough. For Zenitsu, it's an opportunity to flirt and hang around girls, which he loves. Zenitsu was frightened at first not understanding the depth of their special rehab training until he saw it with his own eyes. Internally, his reaction is, "THIS?! THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE SO EXHAUSTED FROM AND GOT ME ALL SCARED OVER?! HOW DARE YOU!"

His reaction, for Zenitsu, was the natural outcome. Everything he does is with extreme emotion.

And the oblivious Inosuke not understanding what is happening thinks he's underestimated Zenitsu when he sees him happily frolicking during the rehab training, not getting Zenitsu's angle.

That's the appeal. It's amusing. It's comedic.

It's letting these characters have a life beyond the brutal and violent fights. It gives the audience a chance to decompress and have a breather after everything we have come to witness before and we will witness later. Let them breathe and have some moments of peace and happiness before things get worse.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Seeing the normally cowardly Zenitsu getting angry and flogging Tanjiro and Inosuke was hilarious. To Tanjiro and Inosuke, the training was tough. For Zenitsu, it's an opportunity to flirt and hang around girls, which he loves. Zenitsu was frightened at first not understanding the depth of their special rehab training until he saw it with his own eyes. Internally, his reaction is, "THIS?! THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE SO EXHAUSTED FROM AND GOT ME ALL SCARED OVER?! HOW DARE YOU!"

His reaction, for Zenitsu, was the natural outcome. Everything he does is with extreme emotion.

And the oblivious Inosuke not understanding what is happening thinks he's underestimated Zenitsu when he sees him happily frolicking during the rehab training, not getting Zenitsu's angle.

That's exactly why I don't understand the appeal. Zenitsu's extreme over the top emotional reactions are simply not funny to me in the slightest. These kind of gags make him unbelievably insufferable to me. I know that it's supposed to be funny, but they go too far with the gags. Like I've said before, Zenitsu is too annoying to be funny and too pathetic to be sympathetic. Maybe his comedy relief gags would work better for me if they didn't go so far with them, especially when that would make his serious moments land better and feel more believable, but it's hard for me to find constant yelling at the top of his lungs or pathetic winning funny when that's the bulk of what Zenitsu does in general. The vast majority of Zenitsu's screentime is used for comedy relief, so I can't take him seriously or find him particularly funny at this point. Although, I don't think I ever found him funny now that I think of it. I pretty much hated him right from the start and none of the episodes following his proper debut helped at all.

TheVileOne said:
It's letting these characters have a life beyond the brutal and violent fights. It gives the audience a chance to decompress and have a breather after everything we have come to witness before and we will witness later. Let them breathe and have some moments of peace and happiness before things get worse.

While giving the audience and the characters a chance to breathe is certainly not a bad idea, especially when the battles against the Spider Demons were pretty intense, I don't think that this scene works on that level either. I don't think it makes Zenitsu a more fleshed out character knowing that he has such a shallow view of women. The comedy relief scene certainly didn't make me laugh. All I could think of during the scene was how pathetic Zenitsu is if he uses physical therapy to flirt with women. I know he's a teenage boy and this isn't really out of left field for him either with his introduction in mind, but it still seemed incredibly shallow and pathetic for him to gush over girls being required to touch him for physical therapy. It just comes off like he's treating these women as objects, or at least downplaying their roles simply because they're pretty girls. They have some light hearted moments to give the characters some breathing room between battles without making one of the characters look shallow and pathetically gush over women being required to touch them.

Terror of Death

Agreed, it's nice seeing the characters behave so differently. Inosuke going from cocky and aggressive to more subdued and flustered. And Zenitsu from meek and terrified to filled with so much anger and jealousy that he immediately berated his teammates and didn't hesitate to punch Inosuke. The characters doing a complete 180 from when they're out in the field surrounded by danger to when they're rehabbing in a safe environment is comedy gold.

It also gives a little extra insight into these characters. Inosuke is not use to being being completely outclassed and helpless in battle. He also doesn't have a traditional upbringing so stuff like flirting and attraction, kindness from strangers and socializing with various people for extended periods of time are foreign concepts to him. Zenitsu can become confident and domineering when he feels he's been lied to or slighted him in some way. And he's usually bad at training but is surprisingly good at it when the right motivation or reward is involved.

Its so fun because in some ways its a role reversal for them.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
That's exactly why I don't understand the appeal. Zenitsu's extreme over the top emotional reactions are simply not funny to me in the slightest. These kind of gags make him unbelievably insufferable to me. I know that it's supposed to be funny, but they go too far with the gags. Like I've said before, Zenitsu is too annoying to be funny and too pathetic to be sympathetic. Maybe his comedy relief gags would work better for me if they didn't go so far with them, especially when that would make his serious moments land better and feel more believable, but it's hard for me to find constant yelling at the top of his lungs or pathetic winning funny when that's the bulk of what Zenitsu does in general. The vast majority of Zenitsu's screentime is used for comedy relief, so I can't take him seriously or find him particularly funny at this point. Although, I don't think I ever found him funny now that I think of it. I pretty much hated him right from the start and none of the episodes following his proper debut helped at all.

While giving the audience and the characters a chance to breathe is certainly not a bad idea, especially when the battles against the Spider Demons were pretty intense, I don't think that this scene works on that level either. I don't think it makes Zenitsu a more fleshed out character knowing that he has such a shallow view of women. The comedy relief scene certainly didn't make me laugh. All I could think of during the scene was how pathetic Zenitsu is if he uses physical therapy to flirt with women. I know he's a teenage boy and this isn't really out of left field for him either with his introduction in mind, but it still seemed incredibly shallow and pathetic for him to gush over girls being required to touch him for physical therapy. It just comes off like he's treating these women as objects, or at least downplaying their roles simply because they're pretty girls. They have some light hearted moments to give the characters some breathing room between battles without making one of the characters look shallow and pathetically gush over women being required to touch them.

It's fine you feel this way Light Lucario, but I wonder why you are keeping up with the show?

Light Lucario

Staff member
It's fine you feel this way Light Lucario, but I wonder why you are keeping up with the show?

Because I still generally like the show? Because there's thankfully more to Demon Slayer than Zenitsu? I'm honestly confused why you're asking me this. Not only because I have mentioned multiple times that I do like the show, but Zenitsu isn't the center of the storyline. He's part of the main cast, but Demon Slayer is still ultimately about Tanjiro and his quest to save Nezuko. Zenitsu didn't get properly introduced until near the halfway point of the season and he hasn't had a ton of screentime either. This question would make a bit more sense if Zenitsu was the main protagonist instead, but fortunately for me, he isn't. If he was, then I would have dropped the show in a heartbeat.

It may not have been your intention, but this also comes off as pretty rude or too dismissive towards my opinion. Because I hate one main character and not even the main protagonist, it is seemingly strange as to why I'm still watching Demon Slayer. The implication that I shouldn't be watching Demon Slayer because I loathe Zenitsu is strange and bothersome to me. I highly doubt that I'm the only person who hates Zenitsu, especially when he seems like the kind of character that people either love or hate anyway. You don't have to like every character in order to enjoy a show. There are plenty of series where I didn't like every character in the main cast and could still generally enjoy the show or at least find something to engaging with it.

I have other issues with Demon Slayer and I firmly believe that it would be overrated with or without Zenitsu, but I do think it's still pretty good. It doesn't live up to its hype and it certainly isn't a new masterpiece, but it's fine. Maybe you're just more focused on my complaints on Zenitsu, which I could understand to a point. I do tend to complain about him a lot whenever he gets any noticeable screentime and that would stick out for people who do like him. But believe it or not, I do talk about the series beyond my never ending hatred towards Zenitsu and it's generally positive.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Because I still generally like the show? Because there's thankfully more to Demon Slayer than Zenitsu? I'm honestly confused why you're asking me this. Not only because I have mentioned multiple times that I do like the show, but Zenitsu isn't the center of the storyline. He's part of the main cast, but Demon Slayer is still ultimately about Tanjiro and his quest to save Nezuko. Zenitsu didn't get properly introduced until near the halfway point of the season and he hasn't had a ton of screentime either. This question would make a bit more sense if Zenitsu was the main protagonist instead, but fortunately for me, he isn't. If he was, then I would have dropped the show in a heartbeat.

It may not have been your intention, but this also comes off as pretty rude or too dismissive towards my opinion. Because I hate one main character and not even the main protagonist, it is seemingly strange as to why I'm still watching Demon Slayer. The implication that I shouldn't be watching Demon Slayer because I loathe Zenitsu is strange and bothersome to me. I highly doubt that I'm the only person who hates Zenitsu, especially when he seems like the kind of character that people either love or hate anyway. You don't have to like every character in order to enjoy a show. There are plenty of series where I didn't like every character in the main cast and could still generally enjoy the show or at least find something to engaging with it.

I have other issues with Demon Slayer and I firmly believe that it would be overrated with or without Zenitsu, but I do think it's still pretty good. It doesn't live up to its hype and it certainly isn't a new masterpiece, but it's fine. Maybe you're just more focused on my complaints on Zenitsu, which I could understand to a point. I do tend to complain about him a lot whenever he gets any noticeable screentime and that would stick out for people who do like him. But believe it or not, I do talk about the series beyond my never ending hatred towards Zenitsu and it's generally positive.

It was not meant to be rude. It just seems weird that I come here and all I often see are complaints about Zenitsu week after week.

As for how Zenitsu treats girls, he's a 16 year old kid. He's not relentlessly groping them or mistreating them. I see nothing wrong with a teenage boy wanting to flirt and hang around with girls as long as he's being respectful. In fact, he even goes as far as refusing to throw his drink at her.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
It was not meant to be rude. It just seems weird that I come here and all I often see are complaints about Zenitsu week after week.

That's because I just don't like Zenitsu. If he gets noteworthy screentime and something really bothers or upsets me, I tend to bring it up. That doesn't mean that Zenitsu is the only thing about Demon Slayer that bothers me, even though he easily takes the cake in that department, or that I don't talk about anything else in these threads. If you just zero in on anytime I complain about Zenitsu, then you're most likely going to miss everything else I like and dislike about the show.

Besides all that, it's still a strange question to bring up. Hating one main character who doesn't usually get the spotlight focus doesn't mean that I shouldn't keep watching Demon Slayer if I still generally enjoy it in spite of that problem. If I hated the protagonist or the bulk of the main cast with the same kind of intensity, then that would be a different story and I probably would have dropped the series well before now. That's basically what I've done for a ton of shows that have aired on Toonami.

TheVileOne said:
As for how Zenitsu treats girls, he's a 16 year old kid. He's not relentlessly groping them or mistreating them. I see nothing wrong with a teenage boy wanting to flirt and hang around with girls as long as he's being respectful. In fact, he even goes as far as refusing to throw his drink at her.

I already acknowledged that he is a teenage boy with hormones, but that excuse can only go so far and even then, it's a pretty weak justification for his behavior. I also didn't say he was groping them or mistreating them. Zenitsu is fortunately not a disgusting pervert. I do think that it's rude of Zenitsu to basically flirt with his physical therapists. At the very least, it comes off as really shallow and pathetic. They aren't his personal harem who want to touch him. They're required to do so to help him with his recovery process. Using this as just an excuse to live out his personal fantasy is just pathetic. Refusing to throw his drink at one of the girls wasn't really respectful either considering that was part of his physical therapy.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since I'm in New Hampshire, there's snow outside today.
kecskezombi01 wrote on KristofLaci991130's profile.
Hello, here. Are you living in a Hungarian city?
Is it me or is marketing for modern cartoons going through some kind of dark age right now?
This is darkly hilarious.

Featured Posts