Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Toonami2020-Main-Image.png
Toonami2020-Demon-Slayer.png

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Last Episode

Episode 23 – Hashira Meeting

Ubuyashiki, the leader of the Demon Slayer Corps, finally appears before Tanjiro. He tells him that he will allow Tanjiro and Nezuko to join the Corps. But the Hashiras are unable to accept this decision right away. The Wind Hashira, Sanemi Shinazugawa, slashes his own arm and taunts Nezuko with his blood, trying to get her to show her true colors as a demon.

No Spoilers or Get Slain.

Nobodyman

Previously on Demon Slayer: "We all hate your sister!"

Join the club.

You interrupted Nezuko's beauty rest. She is p**sed.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Pretty sure she’s not hungry.

Not to sound racist, but she's one of the good ones.

Nobodyman

"There it is. Undeniable proof that Nezuko won't attack humans."

"Yeah, but...if we were to move the goal post a bit..."

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Well, mostly she's been sleeping all the time, but she helped take down one of those spider people earlier, so...

Tanjiro wants payback all of a sudden.

"Come on, ONE headbutt, just give me ONE GOOD SHOT at him..."

Nobodyman

Tanjiro, no one wins with a headbutt.

Oh yeah, where the heck did Inosuke and chicken boy go?

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
He's staying at a butterfly pavilion.

Are these two twins?

Oh, I wondered where he'd gone off to. F.

And Nezuko's the one who needs the muzzle?

Nobodyman

The Butterfly Mansion. The Mariposa Manor. The Papillon Palace. The Cho Chateau.

Speak of the devils.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
The Butterfly Mansion. The Mariposa Mason. The Papillon Palace. The Cho Chateau.

Der Schmetterling Shack. La Farfalla Villa.

Zenitsu un-outgrew his clothes.
Wipe your nose already.

And surprisingly, he wasn't the one who threw his voice out.

Nobodyman

"One day I'll become an old man and pass on."

In your line of work, I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

"Alright guys, I'm gonna guess that at least half of you will be dead by the time this series is over."

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Maybe if you'd stop giving such lethal demon slayer tests? I've seen Hunter Exams with lower mortality rates.

No way I'm going to remember all those names.

How long is this season again?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The chibi of Nezuko in the box was so damn adorable.

Ooo, Ubuyashiki knows about Tamayo. :D

Man, that Kanao is a space case... but the other one - she seems like she's going to be the Noelle of the show, lol, and back to Zenitsu the spaz, lol. Figures, Inosuke would be depressed about what happened.

Though that Sanemi is kinda right, most of the newbies we've seen were fodder except for Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Inosuke, and Kanao. They need a game changer in terms of recruitment. I like the parallel of how their difficulties in finding worthy recruits coincides with the Meiji era-ish time they are in.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this episode was pretty good. I still really don't like the whole Nezuko being put under a spell to see humans as her family, but I do like that she had to struggle a bit against her demon instincts. That at least gave her a bit more agency in the decision and showed that she wasn't as huge of a threat as they thought. The fact that Tanjiro could break out of that rope in his condition was pretty impressive. I also liked that Tomioka held back one of the Hashira from going after Tanjiro for a few moments. While some of the Hashiras are probably still not satisfied with letting Nezuko go, they're at least more accepting of their leader's decision. Tanjiro wanting to come back to headbutt the Hashira who stabbed Nezuko was pretty stupid. It totally made sense with his character and how much he cares about Nezuko, but he really needed to quit while he was ahead.

Of course, we get back to Zenitsu whining and screaming about his treatment. It was in that one moment where I realized just how much better this series is for me without Zenitsu It's still pretty overrated with or without him, but at least I can enjoy this series more so when he isn't on screen. I'd almost let his rant about taking his medicine slide because of how awful medicine can taste and I'm sure something like a curse for something like being turned into a spider tastes terrible, but he was still too loud and annoying about the whole thing. I also could have done without the whole snot on his nose during the duration of the scene. I know that they wanted to make a more comedic scene, which isn't a bad idea after everything being so heavy and intense, but it was just really gross and too distracting from Tanjiro being relieved to see that his friends were still alive. Zentisu laughing at how calm Inosuke had become after hurting his throat was pretty cold. To be clear, I don't think that was the intent. I'm pretty sure that it was more of a panic relief kind of laugh in that none of them died from the fight despite all of their brutal injuries, but it still came off kind of messed up to me. Zenitsu panicking over whether or not he took the medicine after he was complaining about taking it before might be one of the best examples as to why I loathe him, as well as I why I cannot take him seriously. They go so far and so hard with making him the comedy relief, yet I'm also supposed to take him seriously when the show wants me to do so. That definitely can be done with comedy relief characters, so it isn't a bad idea in itself. It just doesn't work for me when it comes to Zenitsu in the slightest.

I did feel bad for Inosuke since being unable to defeat that demon probably hit him pretty hard. Although, I'm sure it was easier for his voice actor to use that voice as opposed to the high pinched gruff voice Inosuke usually has. While I'm still not entirely sold on the group dynamic between these three, mainly due to Zenitsu, I still liked that Tanjiro was so happy to see that they were alive. His kindness and compassion are big reasons as to why he is a pretty likable lead character.

They definitely do need to do something different with their Demon Slayer recruitment. While it is pretty typical for characters without noteworthy designs to be canon fodder in shows like one, it still puts the Demon Slayers at a disadvantage when demon activity continues to grow. Having a less intense final selection might help or even just have the Hashiras train other Demon Slayers when they can might improve their odds. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
They're concerned with demon activity increasing, but I'm surprised they haven't weaponized wisteria a bit more like nuking demon infested areas like with smoke bombs with I don't know via catapult then sending slayers in to pick them off. Unless it's in short supply.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts