Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Toonami2020-Main-Image.png
Toonami2020-Demon-Slayer.png

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Last Episode

Episode 21 – Against Corps Rules

Seeing Tanjiro try to protect Nezuko even as he collapses triggers memories of Rui’s own past. Once a sickly boy, he became a demon after meeting Muzan Kibutsuji who gave him a share of his blood. But after he turns into a demon, his own parents try to kill him. Ever since then, he has been searching for a family. Seeking a bond that he can never hope to acquire...

No Spoilers or Get Slain.

Nobodyman

Previously on Demon Slayer: This guy is worse than actual spiders who literally eat their mates and parents.

Ugh, MORE flashbacks with spider guy? He's dead! Let's move on already!

What if the entire rest of this season was just more backstory for this guy?

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Last time: Spider cult, spider cult, freaky demonic spider cult...

Eww! Cough into your elbow!

Are we still mid-flashback?

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Demonic blood isn't the answer. Maybe try a demonic sword that can turn people into zombies.

"Hey, get over here and pick me up!...no, turn around, idiot! Follow the sound of my voice!"

Nobodyman

It's like Jud from Pet Sematary said. "Sometimes, death is better."

So there ya go. Even if you become a violent mass murderer, you can still find happiness in death and be reunited with your loved ones.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Together at last.

Thanks for the cold water, JYB.

Now for these new faces who've started popping up.

Nobodyman

"Demons are tragic creatures, but I'll still decapitate the s**t out of them."

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
We won't be intimidated by biological threats.

He's the Charlie Browniest demon slayer.

Everywhere Nezuko goes, nobody likes her.

Pretty sure if your teacher was okay with it...

Like a walking piece of cheese in a rat's nest.

How did she just turn chibi?

Last edited:

Nobodyman

"We're simple demon slayers. We see a demon, we kill it."

Time to bring that little demon racism streak of yours to an end.

So Nezuko can shrink? Guess that explains how she fits in the box.

Ironically, they all got tied up in cocoons in the end.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I like demons. That's why I like to slay them. I never met a demon I didn't like.

Oh dear, someone's in trouble...

So are they like the 13 Court Guard Squads in Bleach? Only more competent?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Okay, based on what Shinobu almost did, Nezuko's plight hasn't been well advertised among the Corps. And Tomioka and Tanjiro are probably in a lot of trouble. Guess Urokodaki forgot to send that letter to HQ...

I guess next episode is the trial episode, everything gets cleared up, Nezuko is declared a non-threat, and everyone is exonerated.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Rewatching this episode again, I was thinking about the recent discussion about why is Demon Slayer so popular, especially selling more manga copies than One Piece in Japan. I don't really have the answer, but I can see it in episodes like this. Giving backstories to minor villains and being very effective at it is probably a part of it. Most shows don't really do this, but I appreciate Demon Slayer showing the humanity that these villains once had before they turned evil.

Also, Tanjiro seeing the good in everyone reminds me of Goku so much.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this episode was pretty good. I have strong mixed feelings on Rui's backstory. On one hand, it does explain why he was so set on forging family bonds by any means necessary. He was dealing with those repressed memories and desires for a long time as well. But on the other hand, I don't really like that he got a heartfelt reunion with his parents. Even before he killed them, he did kill what I assume was his younger brother or possibly just childhood friend since he didn't show up in the afterlife. It's made worse considering what we've seen him do during this battle and in the previous flashback. He was flat out abusive and controlling towards other demons too. He seemingly ripped off other demon's faces just so that they could all look alike, punish those who didn't fit their roles by turning them more into spiders and brutally tortured one demon who wanted to run away by hanging them up to be burned by the sun. I don't think he deserved a happy reunion with his parents after everything he did.

I can see why they went that route. They wanted to show that Rui did indeed have loving bonds with his parents. Plus, they probably wanted to make his fall look more tragic after he realized that he broke the bonds that he desperately wanted to find himself. Other demons have done terrible things and still gotten some sympathy as they're dying, but I think that was easier to accept because they were generally more like monsters. Rui seemed more humanized compared to most of the other demons we've seen. Being so incredibly abusive towards even other demons might have also been an issue. It's kind of hard to make me sympathize with a character who brutally tortured and murdered another demon simply because she didn't want to be stuck in the role he forced upon her in the first place. Maybe this would be a bit easier to accept if they didn't go all out with Rui being so abusive and controlling or that they didn't show just how cruel he was towards even other demons, but this is the only time thus far where making the demon more sympathetic really didn't work for me. It was heartwarming to see that his parents were happily waiting to have their son back with them in the afterlife. I just wish it felt more deserved to me.

Tanjiro saying that demons are really tragic creatures is true, but with few exceptions, they're also still monsters that need to be killed. Few of them are capable or even interested in living alongside humans. I don't think that Tanjiro is wrong for wanting to comfort them or show them sympathy as they're dying. That compassionate nature is one of his best traits, but they're tragic monsters that need to be killed in order for them to save their humanity, as well as countless other human victims.

It was nice that Giyu wanted to help Tanjiro and Nezuko after he recognized Nezuko. I wasn't too surprised that Nezuko's situation wasn't more wide known among the Corp. Even though Urokodaki trained Tanjiro and put that spell on Nezuko, I wouldn't be surprised if the higher ups wouldn't initially approve of a Demon Slayer protecting another demon. Giyu and Shinobu's fight was pretty good. I'd be curious to see who could win in a fight if Demon Slayers were allowed to fight each other. I recognized a few of the new Demon Slayers from some official artwork I've seen too. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The brand-new Evangelion movie can't be delayed anymore. It will be released tomorrow. Rejoice!
Added @Christopher Glennon 's name to the Un-Iverse dedication page.

Frankly, it was long overdue.
Did you know that 99% of the facts about "Xiaolin Chronicles" were actually made up by the fans, since the show was produced in France, not the United States?
This theory is.... interesting.

Featured Posts