C&C - Black Clover - "The Black Bulls" [1/20]

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Radical

Deborah Bispo so epic and hot!!!!!
Nov 7, 2004
Ratings
279 1
Lacey,Washington
Episode 6 was pretty sweet/enjoyable,

Asta meeting the Black Bulls was great/funny much like Lucy first meeting the Fairy Tail gang and Vanessa like Cana, sweet, hehehe.

The other Black Bulls who are Magna, Luck, Gauche, Mary, Charmy, Vanessa, and Grey are pretty awesome/interesting/entertaining:D.

The Golden Dawn leader is interesting.

Both Mary, Charmy, and Vanessa, my favorite awesome cute new funny female characters, Charmy is like Sasha(Attack on Titan), the next great funny hungry girl:D.

Gauche will be the next rival/enemy for Asta next to Sekke, hehehe, but his obsession on his little sister Mary is so creepy/unsettling.

Magna testing Asta to make Asta prove himself worthy to the Black Bulls was great/funny, but Asta hitting his head to the boulder is funny, but painful.

The Black Bulls impressed/getting along with Asta was pretty sweet, welcome to the Black Bulls Asta.

The token cute girl appears who's also a Black Bull, she's a tsundere brat towards Asta from her lines at the end, but she's interesting though, next episode she'll be introduced.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was pretty bad. The series has been heavily inspired by Naruto up to this point, but this episode really showed more of the Fairy Tail vibe with the Black Bulls being really energetic and destructive. They even have a woman dressed in a bikini who drinks a lot. I know that she isn't the only character whose primary outfit is a bikini, but I never quite understood that. Yeah, it's for fanservice, but wearing a bikini all the time would be extremely inconvenient for multiple reasons, so it just seems like a strange and desperate attempt to throw in fanservice. Although, a lot of fanservice in anime tends to make me think that the people involved either don't know how the female body works or they don't know how women tend to act. I wasn't happy with how she was hitting on Asta either, if only because she does look significantly older than him. The rainbow vomit was also pretty gross.

The only thing that was worse was the member gushing over his sister. With the nose bleed gag and a picture of what looked like a five year old girl, it came off as both incest and pedophile at the same time. It really doesn't help that Japan has a creepy obsession with the brother/sister complex, to the point where it's practically it is a fetish and it's a genre of anime titles. That's why red flags were already being set off when he kept focused on his sister, but it just got worse when she looks like a toddler. Despite all of the generic aspects of the series, this was the first episode that I couldn't find too much entertainment for primarily because of these two gags. All of the characters in the Black Bulls have gags, but gags involving fanservice, incest and pedophile are really huge turn offs for me.

Of course, Asta was able to over come the challenge with his sword. It did look pretty cool, although I think we could have done without the narrator. It wouldn't be that hard to figure it out either during or after the fact, but I guess they wanted to make it clear that Asta didn't plan for it. Asta being so determined in spite of having no magic power seemed to be appealing to a lot of the Black Bulls. Admittedly, Yami telling Asta to shut up when he got too loud and excited was pretty funny. Overall, this was a pretty bad episode for me. It's not quite bad enough for me to drop the series. I still want to see what they have planned for the other new recruit of the Black Bulls, but this was the first time I considered it for this series and that may still happen depending on how they handle these running gags in future episodes.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
Oh boy, this episode had a copy and paste of the episode where Lucy first steps into the Fairy Tail guild hall and sees rowdy wizards fighting. There's even a Carta ripoff. Everyone's either uninteresting or creepy. Apparently, Black Clover is to anime as Eragon is to YA fantasy novels. Asta is the Jar Jar of anime. The fight scenes are supposed to make this show worth watching whenever they come but this show has been painful.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Oh boy, this episode had a copy and paste of the episode where Lucy first steps into the Fairy Tail guild hall and sees rowdy wizards fighting. There's even a Carta ripoff. Everyone's either uninteresting or creepy. Apparently, Black Clover is to anime as Eragon is to YA fantasy novels. Asta is the Jar Jar of anime. The fight scenes are supposed to make this show worth watching whenever they come but this show has been painful.
The Eragon comparison is way too fitting for this series. I don't know if I'd compare Asta to Jar Jar though. He can be loud and annoying, but I don't think he's anywhere near as infamous or as insulting as Jar Jar. It's hard for me to really judge the fighting in this series because we haven't really gotten an actual fight. They're just quick sparring matches based on how quickly they are resolved. If we get something that last for more than a couple of minutes, then I'd have an easier way to judge the fighting in this series.

Jul 16, 2015
Ratings
214 4
This show gets a lot of hate, but so far I don't think it's that bad. Great? No. But, decent at least. I've enjoyed this more than anything I've seen of JoJo. I'm actually enjoying this more than Outlaw Star, which I thought I'd love.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I agree for the most part. Aside from this episode, the series has been fairly decent. Nothing to write home about and I can see why it doesn't have the best reputation due to how generic it is, but it's not terrible and Toonami has certainly aired worse shows. I'd definitely take this over Jojo. I'd rather deal with a generic shonen than feel disgusted and insulted like I did with Jojo. I like Outlaw Star more than Black Clover, although I already think that Outlaw Star isn't going to live up to the hype for me by the time I watch the series finale.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
262 5
Dimension W is probably still the worst show in Toonami history (full series, counting miniseries Sand Whale and Me counts). Black Clover is at least comprehensible. There's actual fans for Black Clover, but I've net met a Dimension W fanboy/fangirl ever.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
There are at least a couple of series that I think are worse than Dimension W, but I'd be hard pressed to think of any other series that was just as much of a poorly structured convoluted mess as Dimension W. Even Sand Whale and Me was just nonsensically boring more than anything else. This is one of the reasons why Black Clover's being so generic doesn't bother me as much as it does with other people. Toonami has aired far worse shows, so being generic isn't as bad by comparison. It's still not good, but it needs to do something more than basic Shonen tropes to really bother me.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Ratings
1,316 4
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
Honestly, I like Black Clover more than Fairy Tail. I enjoy the characters in general more.

I honestly don't understand the hate the show gets at all. My only problem is all the added padding and filler. But you know what? One Piece and Naruto have been guilty of the same thing. Naruto especially adds on a ton of extra scenes and subplots that weren't really present in the manga.

Besides Asta, my favorite Black Bull member is probably Luck. I also really enjoyed Asta getting his robes. One thing I like about Black Clover is that it does general story progression better than Naruto. Yes I said that. The entirety of Naruto, he's a Genin, and then he's Hokage at the end.

In the first six episodes of Black Clover, Asta gets his grimoire, his magic cutting sword, passes the Knight's Entrance Exam and gets inducted into the Black Bulls and gets his Knight Robes. There's a better sense of progression of the protagonist toward moving upward towards his goals. The manga does a good job of this as well.

IE this:

After his first mission, the Black Bulls are at -30 stars. Some 100 or so chapters in and they are the No. 2 Magic Knight Squad in the Clover Kingdom right behind the Golden Dawn. Not only that, Asta is declared co-rookie of the year by the Magic Emperor alongside Yuno.

After that, Asta gets past the training camp and makes it to the semi-finals of the Royal Knights tournament. He's then selected into the Royal Knights squad. Basically, it would've been like Naruto getting recruited into the ANBU, of which nothing like that ever happens.

My point is this, the manga-ka for Black Clover actually created a nice sense of progression for the protagonist. And he basically writes the Naruto/Sasuke relationship better than Kishimoto-sensei ever did.

So yeah, I'll say it. Black Clover > Naruto.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,556 10
Honestly, I like Black Clover more than Fairy Tail. I enjoy the characters in general more.

I honestly don't understand the hate the show gets at all. My only problem is all the added padding and filler. But you know what? One Piece and Naruto have been guilty of the same thing. Naruto especially adds on a ton of extra scenes and subplots that weren't really present in the manga.
Thats not really a good excuse, most people think the anime adaption for Naruto and One Piece(especially One Piece) are crap if you told a One Piece fan the anime sucks they would go on a rant on how you're right and the anime adaption is an abomination towards nature.

My point is this, the manga-ka for Black Clover actually created a nice sense of progression for the protagonist. And he basically writes the Naruto/Sasuke relationship better than Kishimoto-sensei ever did.
I'll give you that, as much as I don't like Asta or Yuno(he's still much better than Sasuke) their rivalry is much healthier and feels real, it helps they were raised together instead of actually knowing each other in under a year.
In the first six episodes of Black Clover, Asta gets his grimoire, his magic cutting sword, passes the Knight's Entrance Exam and gets inducted into the Black Bulls and gets his Knight Robes. There's a better sense of progression of the protagonist toward moving upward towards his goals. The manga does a good job of this as well.

IE this:

After his first mission, the Black Bulls are at -30 stars. Some 100 or so chapters in and they are the No. 2 Magic Knight Squad in the Clover Kingdom right behind the Golden Dawn. Not only that, Asta is declared co-rookie of the year by the Magic Emperor alongside Yuno.

After that, Asta gets past the training camp and makes it to the semi-finals of the Royal Knights tournament. He's then selected into the Royal Knights squad. Basically, it would've been like Naruto getting recruited into the ANBU, of which nothing like that ever happens.
I'll also give you that to, I always thought it was a huuuugee missed opportunity to see Naruto work as a Chunin,Jonin, or Anbu. See how he is effective at doing a mission alone, teaching genin(well he actually did that with Konohamru) or doing more stealth based missions.

.So yeah, I'll say it. Black Clover > Naruto.
That I can't agree on, don't get me wrong Naruto did a lot of stuff horribly but I don't see Black Clover having as much highs as Naruto. Black Clover's supporting cast isn't as good as Naruto's and its arcs so far are medicore

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Ratings
1,316 4
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
Thats not really a good excuse, most people think the anime adaption for Naruto and One Piece(especially One Piece) are crap if you told a One Piece fan the anime sucks they would go on a rant on how you're right and the anime adaption is an abomination towards nature.
And you know what? That's fine with me. People are entitled to their opinions and they can like what they like. I for one am a big fan of the Black Clover manga and anime series. IMHO the anime has its flaws, but I generally like where it's going.

At the same time, I'm sure I could go to many sites or locations and find just as many fans who are in love with the anime adaptations of Naruto or One Piece or at least like them as well.

But if you were to ask me what my favorite adaptation of a Shonen Jump manga, no question it would be Food Wars ;)

I'll also give you that to, I always thought it was a huuuugee missed opportunity to see Naruto work as a Chunin,Jonin, or Anbu. See how he is effective at doing a mission alone, teaching genin(well he actually did that with Konohamru) or doing more stealth based missions.
There were so many missed opportunities with the story. For Naruto to be the lowest rank ninja but going on all the high class A-Rank or S-class missions and stuff, it's ridiculous. Plus, to see Naruto progress and get validation through a promotion, that's important storytelling growth. Let Naruto get a medal ceremony or something. He should've at least gotten some kind of token promotion after he defeated Pein and saved the Leaf village. I doubt anyone would've cared if they basically just said, "Yeah your Konoha's new S-Rank Ninja Corp." or something without passing an exam. But when they introduced Chuunin exams, I thought we were going to see Naruto have to work his way up to that level since his goal was to become Hokage.

I highly respect Yuki Tabata for the direction he's taken with the Black Bulls and Asta. Normally when you have story like this and dead last underdogs, they generally stay in dead last or they stay impoverished. They have instances where they like almost get a lot of money or almost get that promotion only to come up short. Kind of like the Class F misfits of Baka and Test. But in Black Clover, while Black Bulls are considered the worst of the worst and the lowest of the low, they actually do something with that and don't perpetually keep them there and keep that as the running joke. But it's not just with the Black Bulls but Asta as well.

You don't just get the satisfaction of Asta gaining recognition from the snobs, but you also get the recognition of his progress of him being a nobody orphan from the boonies to one of the greatest magic knights in the Clover Kingdom.

That I can't agree on, don't get me wrong Naruto did a lot of stuff horribly but I don't see Black Clover having as much highs as Naruto. Black Clover's supporting cast isn't as good as Naruto's and its arcs so far are medicore
I'm not going to say you should keep watching because a lot more and cooler characters will be introduced. But based on where I've read in the manga, I'd say pound for pound, I put the supporting characters of Black Clover above the ones in Naruto. Charmy > pretty much entire supporting cast of Naruto.

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
Jan 4, 2002
Ratings
Florida
Visit site
"Wizard King" count: 2

These new characters really helped me enjoy the episode. I've never seen Fairy Tail and other non-Toonami shonen like the rest of you so maybe that's why I gave it a pass this week.

After witnessing vomit rainbows, what's next? Fart magic?
Please tell me we don't get magic farts.

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
"Wizard King" count: 2

These new characters really helped me enjoy the episode. I've never seen Fairy Tail and other non-Toonami shonen like the rest of you so maybe that's why I gave it a pass this week.
I saw a good amount of Fairy Tail when Funimation On Demand was around. I think it went up to over a hundred or so episodes. Even if I wasn't familiar with Fairy Tail, I would still be pretty disturbed with the fanservice and sister obsessed characters than anything else. Maybe they'll be less annoying in the future, but they did not leave a good first impression on me and that did make it harder for me to get behind most of the Black Bull members as a result.

JTuner954 said:
And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
I loathe Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Not quite as much as some of the other shows Toonami has aired, but I definitely do not like it. I'm a bit relieved to see that there are more people who also dislike it. It's still generally well received here and that's fine, but it helps to know when you're not the only one who likes or dislikes a show.

Scrappy-Fan92

Aug 18, 2011
Ratings
United States of America
Man, you guys all got into a shonen-fight without me. Most of my thoughts were covered by you guys (hooray gratuitous fanservice lady, hooray incest lover). The Black Bulls are kind of stock, but I agree with Yami: they're (mostly) good people. And for what it's worth, I thought the rainbow vomit was funny.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

SweetShop209 wrote on PinkiePie97's profile.
Hey there. I want to ask something. For "Streamtopia", since preschool shows aren't talked about online that much, I'm thinking of creating 2 cumulative threads for Netflix and Amazon's preschool shows so that any news can just be posted there instead of individual threads. May I have permission to post them?
Happy 20th birthday to PPG. Even in the good times and the bad times, you're still a show worth watching.
Holy smokes! Churned out 15 freaking pages of the latest Gilda and Meek today! I am in the freaking zone and so happy with how things are going in the final issue I will be posting on Toon Zone.
Asa
Happy 90th birthday to Mickey, 20th birthday to PPG, and 30th birthday to LBT & O&C.
Happy 20th Birthday to the one, the only... THE POWERPUFF GIRLS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCA1cifF4fY