C&C - Black Clover - "Awakening" [11/10]

Nobodyman

toonami2018-_main_template-png.189602
toonami2018-_black_clover-png.189612

Opening Theme: "Guess Who Is Back" by Koda Kumi
Ending Theme: "Four" by Faki

965e328a8a61a342f76de6e050642fed1534830598_full.jpg

Previously on Black Clover:
Vetto managed to block Luck and Magna’s attack and is unhurt while Luck and Magna collapse. As Vetto is about to kill them Asta blocks his attack and manages to slash his stomach. Kiato and Asta fight him together. Vanessa and Gauche both encounter Midnight Sun mages. Gauche’s enemy wields a magic chain capable of destroying his mirrors. Gauche is forced to hide and he comes across a crab previously seen throughout the caves. He tricks the mage into believing he summoned his mirror clone but then gets behind him and defeats him easily. Both the crab and the fake clone are revealed to have been the recently arrived Grey using transformation magic. Grey leads Gauche back to Charmy but they are trapped by another Midnight Sun mage that begins draining their magic. Gauche recalls the lesson he learned from Asta, that friends protect each other. Grey manages to transform a boulder into a large piece of meat while Gauche shouts at Charmy that the mage is trying to steal her dinner. This snaps the food obsessed Charmy right out of her enchanted sleep and she furiously summons a giant Sheep Chef that crushes the mage. Grey, who is usually seen as a large man breathing smoke, suddenly runs out of magic and reverts to his real body, a young woman with short blue hair and grey eyes who is embarrassed by people seeing her real body. Vetto overpowers Asta and is furious that Asta wields the Demon Dweller and Demon Slayer swords as they do not belong to him. He almost breaks Asta’s arm but he is saved by the arrival of Noelle and Kahono.

Tonight: Kahono and Noelle reach Asta and the others. Noelle is astonished at how powerful Vetto is, but Kahono remains confident. She is the granddaughter of Gifso and cherishes everyone at the Underwater Temple, which she is willing to do anything to protect.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Last time: I'm having one of those times where the fights aren't interesting enough for me to remember what happened in the previous episode.

That animation IS terrible. Their mouths didn't even move.

Nobodyman

Previously on Black Clover: Stupid incest guy gets the spotlight again, but now we know what Grey looks like.

Oh yeah, that's right. I'm sure the girls are gonna shine splendidly in this episode.

Nobodyman

Sure, that's all this show needs is another loud character.

Even the Loud House isn't this loud.

Spinning around in circles while holding blades. Apparently this constitutes dancing.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Uh oh. Backstory. Something happens, doesn't it?

Your singing and dancing are no match for my talking!

Everyone's a critic.

And cue Spopovich moment.

Nobodyman

Hey buddy, looks like you could use a leg up there.

Oh, don't tell me you're giving us this humanity-is-the-real-enemy crap.

Wait, is Noelle going to...do something?

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
YES! THAT'S RIGHT! I TORE OFF YOUR LEGS AND CRUSHED YOUR LARYNX TO TEACH YOU THE FUTILITY OF HOPES AND DREAMS! THINGS LIKE AMBITION AND ASPIRATIONS ARE FOOLISH, PATHETIC LIES AND YOU ALL SHOULD GIVE UP TRYING TO IMPROVE YOURSELVES IN ANY WAY! THE ONLY REALITIES ARE DESPAIR AND MISERY AND THAT I AM A COLD HEARTLESS POWER-HUNGRY BASTARD AND I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT TO WHOMEVER I WANT! EVERYTHING GOOD IN THIS WORLD IS A LIE AND YOU SHOULD ALL JUST GIVE ME WHAT I WANT AND THEN KILL YOURSELVES FOR MY AMUSEMENT! COWER IN FEAR, YOU SNIVELING WEAKLINGS! I AM ALPHA AND OMEGA! YOUR JUDGMENT DAY! YOUR GOTTERDAMMERUNG!

Oh great. The tsundere. What can SHE do?

Yeah. Great. Give him a reason to kill you.

No, Noelle only ACTS like a goddess.

Oh, please don't humanize him. I don't care enough to care.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Let me guess, he's got regeneration powers or something, making the whole attack pointless.

Well, that'll definitely bring down a wedding.

Yep, there it is.

I guess she is just a girl after all. Couldn't expect too much from her.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Mystical Beast Magic what?

NOELLE, YOU SUCK!

Oh no I'm suddenly powerless! Male protagonist, save me!

Hello Asta. (typed five seconds before the smoke clears)

"The real despair starts now!"
NO, IT STARTED ELEVEN MONTHS AGO WHEN THIS SHOW PREMIERED!

Nobodyman

And then beast guy killed them all. Series over.

Ooooooof COURSE Asta saves her!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So cool to see Noelle reveal that powerful attack magic but exhausted it all in that one spell... only for Asta, who has ridiculous stamina, to save her at the last second, ugh. But it looks like we all hated that, lol. Only thing worse was Vetto's rhetoric.

I had closed captioning on and in Vetto's flashback thing, those people that got murdered by light magic or whatever were listed as elves. Hmm. So Licht, Vetto, and those other 2 elites could be elves out for revenge?

Radical

Banned
Episode 46 was pretty sweet/intense,

Kahano/Kiato combining their Song and Dance magic making Kiato stronger was sweet.

Poor Kahano and poor Kiato easily crushed by Vetto was brutal.

Vetto like Menthuthuyoupi the most strongest brutal dangerous henchman:ack:.

Noelle using a cool new spell Sea Dragon's Roar to crush/damage Vetto was awesome/satisfying, go Noelle:D.

Vetto's flashback first meeting Licht was interesting, but the poor elves' village destroyed by horrible hatable human bad guys, that's how Licht/Vetto want revenge.

Vetto getting stronger from rage casting Mythical Beast Magic was scary/intense, he's like Menthuthuyoupi alright:ack:.

Asta protecting Noelle at the end was sweet.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
This was the first time we saw Noelle use an offensive attack and we go to the classic trope of "dismemberment is a minor inconvenience because character can regenerate or something." We all knew that side character, especially a female one, beating the main villain, wasn't going to happen. Still, Noelle's water dragon was cooler than what most other female shonen characters can do (although I wouldn't be surprised if even Sailor Mercury could whoop Noelle's butt using only bubble spray). The action does seem to focus more on magic and effects than strategy, kinetic movement, or the things that make other shonen fights work. This moment was okay-ish despite the overall dullness of the show. We do get a little bit of sadistic violence towards dance battle guy and singing girl. For mindless violence, this show might could work as Bleach-lite. This show isn't that good, but it's fascinating to analyze how it handles shonen tropes a whole. It's the most shonen generic shonen out there that makes all the writing mistakes a stereotypical bad shonen does.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
In Noelle's defense, she did more damage to Vetto than the first two guys did...

One trope that we don't seem to see much is having the main characters fight a powerful minion of the villain of the arc and have them all individually show their power (this arc was the first to kinda do that, with Gauche vs. the one note villain no one cares about. We haven't had any big epic fight against minions a la One Piece). The Alabasta Arc of One Piece is a good example of how to execute this. We got to see Zoro shine against Mr. One and Nami beat Miss Doublefinger. This way, we can have it where the protagonist gets to fight the big bad while the supporting cast doesn't have to lose for plot reasons. Wouldn't it have been cooler if Noelle got to actually beat a member of the Eye of the Midnight Sun and that's how we're introduced to the water dragon attack?

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
In less episodes, Noelle has already proven to be more powerful and useful in a fight than Lucy Heartfilia. So that made this episode a success.

The animation for the show is subpar more often than not. Unfortunate. But not every show gets a My Hero Academia type of production.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts