C&C - Attack on Titan - "Hero" [6/22]

Latest News & Videos

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Wow! I didn't... they beat all 3 in one episode. That's freakin' rad. As crazy as that sequence of Levi in action was, it felt good to see that Beast Titan get his comeuppance finally. But damn, they didn't factor a 4th unique Titan. I guess someone had to get away.

Makes sense Reiner wasn't 100% healed up and a last minute return bailed out the team and gave Mikasa the winning blow. Like with Beast Titan getting beat, it felt great watching Reiner betting blown away...

Can't believe Armin's plan was a suicide run to make Bernholdt exert himself and trick him with hardening. It was gut wrenching and awful to see Armin's body on the roof at the end. But Levi's plan caught my attention. He couldn't use it against Beast Titan, but I wonder is it too late to inject Armin instead? And have him eat Bernholdt or Reiner?

Reactions: Light Lucario

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Can't believe Armin's plan was a suicide run to make Bernholdt exert himself and trick him with hardening. It was gut wrenching and awful to see Armin's body on the roof at the end. But Levi's plan caught my attention. He couldn't use it against Beast Titan, but I wonder is it too late to inject Armin instead? And have him eat Bernholdt or Reiner?
That would be one heck of a twist. It does look like Armin is completely dead and I don't know if the shot to turn a human into a Titan can revive the dead too. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Armin is my favorite character in this show and getting him back would be great in that regard. Not to mention it would give the Scouts another advantage against the Titans. But it would also kind of weaken his sacrifice, even with this being potentially only a one time deal if they do turn another character into a Titan. If they do want to bring one character back to life, Armin would be a prominent enough character to do so.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was really good. It was still immensely brutal to see so many people just charge right towards their deaths. They were able to give Levi enough time to attack the Beast Titan. Seeing Levi do so much serious damage to the Beast Titan was quite satisfying and he would have been able to finish him off if he didn't think of possibly reviving one of the dying soldiers. The Beast Titan was back in human form and saved by another Titan, but it does seem like Levi is going to go chase after him. Having one nameless Scout still alive in the mist of the battle field was pretty unsettling. It is possible that some of the other characters are still alive too, but it is a creepy kind of scene to walk through piles of bodies like that.

Despite being so unsure about what to do, Armin instantly realized what they could do the moment he noticed something was off about the Colossal Titan. The others going off against the Armored Titan was pretty intense. It seemed like Reiner was still recovering from the previous attacks, at least based on his actual face, but they were still struggling just to get a good opening. Hange had a pretty cool reapperance to help out. I figured that she was too much of a prominent character to die off-screen. At least they were seemingly able to kill off Reiner.

There were a lot of death flags for Armin the moment he talked about how he still needs to go to the sea and that he'd let go the moment it got too dangerous. As brutal as the deaths during this arc have been, I think Armin's might have been the worst one yet. Being crushed by a fast moving rock is obviously horrible, but it can be potentially a quick way to die. Armin was slowly burned alive. Seeing his skin and hair being burned away was just so unsettling. It was a pretty smart plan. Erin already looked like he was down for the count, Armin provided a distraction and the smoke gave Erin protection so that he could hit Bernholdt in his weakened state. Erin was a lot calmer upon seeing Armin's body than I thought he would be, but I'm pretty sure he was still in a state of shock and exhaustion from the battle. He obviously still cares about Armin and I could see losing Armin hitting Erin pretty hard once the dust from the battle finally settles. It was touching that he wanted to say that Armin was a hero.

Overall, it was a really good episode. Back when the series first started, I remember part of the praise came from how it was a series where anyone could be killed at any time. Even with all of the characters dying, I never got that impression. The main three leads and arguably some of the prominent supporting cast members couldn't be killed off. The vast majority of deaths in this series seem more for shock value than anything else. Armin's death might be one of the few deaths in this series that actually was emotionally effective. He wasn't a nameless background character or a character that the audience didn't get to know much about before he died. They didn't try to force something like a sudden possible love interest to make his death more emotionally manipulative. He thought about his dream to go to the ocean, but that was established well before this episode and added to the intensity of the scene. This was the first death of a major character. As sad as it was to lose Armin, it seemingly was the only way to pull off the plan and defeat the Colossal Titan. The Scouts have been able to defeat their enemies during this battle, although it might take awhile to finish off the Beast Titan, but it has come at such a heavy cost. While I do want to know what is inside this basement, I'm also kind of curious of just the aftermath of this battle. There's already a lot of huge moments that can drastically change the cast even before learning about the secret in that basement.

Reactions: Yojimbo