Butch Hartman developing new SVOD service Oaxis

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Wow, shocked he actually did it. Well, I still have a bad feeling about this. And I wouldn't be shocked if he asks for more money in the future.
He probably will TBH. The guy is in serious need of a reality check, not just in terms of knowing that this idea can't work, but that pandering to nostalgia is only setting yourself up for failure. I know I've said Nick is becoming too nostalgia-reliant, but at least they are actually making new things off their nostalgic properties, and a lot of them are of actual substance.

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall

Livestream discussion between PIEGUYRULZ and EyeofSol on Oaxis.

Toon4Thought

So apparently he said something... really, really eye-opening on a livestream he did not long ago. For all, all I'll say is this:... to think people say the TTG creators are bad at handling criticism.

Nick Mick

Now forget and be content ♥
...this guy is for real? I- I, I mean, wow. Over the course of what, the latest 10 hours, he has proved to be a shameless con man. Oh wait, even regular con men would try at the very least to sound logical.

Like, isn't it shameless enough that he tries to make his project sound like a charity to homeless children? That he tries even in the very last minute to beg people for money just because he made two childhood shows?

And how the heck did this kickstarter got funded anyway? Ugh... Maybe he's too ambitious for it, and he'll understand more about it later.

Oh, and what makes me really furious, is that this campaign managed to get funded, instead of another one, which had at least some things and information shown to you, as part of a 4-year-work. Look, I know that people think Mr. Enter is a hack, and you know what? It's fine if we can't change sometimes the opinions of other people. BUT, these ones I just mentioned, should aknowledge how Mr. Enter's one, actually has the very bare minimun of what should be called a "crowdfunding campaign". Though Butch doesn't have to do with what I said now.

Anyway, because I don't have the luxury to make myself sound like a broken record, here are two videos of PieGuyRulz, that are eye opening indeed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So apparently he said something... really, really eye-opening on a livestream he did not long ago. For all, all I'll say is this:... to think people say the TTG creators are bad at handling criticism.
Huh. And the complete irony is that he says such things while playing a video game, I mean, he could waste thouse precious hours working on it, but nah, let's criticize instead memes about something coming from a guy that praises them in his twitter account all the time, while also giving all his hate on people who never did art. Oh, and remember to tell that to anyone, even a critic ([sarcasm] "he hasn't done any art, has he?", who hates your work. [sarcasm] He just doesn't understand you.

Also, as a still sincere fan of him, I want to give some advice to Butch. And yes, I have been doing cartoon sketches for years now (recently my skills have been increasing a lot more), and I'm thinking of starting frame by frame animation (you can see earlier drawings of mine on my DeviantArt page).

Look. Over the course of history, people with no constructive criticism, or even a lack of sense, have criticized people with very ambitious projects. And all of them were wrong, because... they didn't know how experienced these people were with what they were doing. No, it wasn't only because the people behind these projects were SO AMBITIOUS. the point I'm trying my hardest to get across, is that just because you're ambitious about something, that doesn't excuse the fact you have no plan about whatever you're making. In fact, history hasn't even shown that your previous experience with it was good. You previously made the Noog Network, which wasn't successful, and there were plans for another earlier streaming service that didn't even make it into the internet. I mean, I would be able to believe that you were trying to pitch those 3 shows you mentioned, and that all those who would criticize you for that were kinda wrong, rather than the fact you're trying not to confess the fact you're terrible with streaming, just because you're ambitious.

Last edited:

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
... to think people say the TTG creators are bad at handling criticism.
At least it can be argued that what TTG is doing is a form of trolling, even if I don't really think it's right for them to do it. What Hartman is doing is just flat-out vile.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well, my respect for him has gone down a lot.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I am a bit confused since it sounds like the fan who asked the question was someone who Butch knows often puts out hate for what he does. If that is the case, I can't blame him for not wanting to answer his question in a way because from his point of view, it would be like feeding a troll. Granted, I could be completely off the mark there, but it did sound like he didn't want to say the username PieGuyRulz. I've only seen a few of his videos and I don't think he's a troll, but from Butch's perspective, he might see him as such. Still not a good thing, but I can at least understand it if that was his thinking process towards the question itself.

However, not wanting to take any criticism from anyone who isn't a cartoonist or who hasn't made any artwork themselves is definitely crossing the line. Admittedly, there are a lot of people who don't know what constructive criticism actually is, but brushing off anyone's complaints about his work if they haven't made some kind of art themselves is pretty belittling, especially when his shows aren't really high art themselves.

Toon4Thought

At least it can be argued that what TTG is doing is a form of trolling, even if I don't really think it's right for them to do it. What Hartman is doing is just flat-out vile.
Also, TTG actually bothers to come up with rebuttals, so they clearly think the criticism is at least somewhat worth the attention. Not to mention they have improved with season 4 and the movie looks better than people initially thought it'd be.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It wasn’t Pieguy.

Oh my mistake. I thought he was almost trying to say Pieguy's username, but maybe that was in relation to the meme the other person was asking about. In any case, that really does make his reaction much worse than I initially thought and makes Butch come off as much more of a jerk too.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
LOL. Despite following Butch on YouTube I had no idea he was doing this until I went into this thread. The reason is because nearly every Butch video on YouTube has a clickbaity thumbnail and title, and I eventually stopped believing them:

Title: WORKING FOR NICKELODEON AGAIN!
Opening sentence: "I remember that time when I was working for Nickelodeon...."

Title: WORKING FOR CARTOON NETWORK NOW!
Opening sentence: "You know, a lot of people don't know this, but I worked for Cartoon Network in its early days..."

Title: I'M STARTING MY OWN NETWORK!
Opening sentence: "I'm starting my own network..."

How was I to know??

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well that was incredibly condescending and unnecessarily aggressive to boot. People criticizing his work or his kickstarter aren't trying to knock him down, or at least I don't think that would apply to everyone who complain about his ideas. It's extremely telling that he labels his critics as weak or cowards who hide behind a keyboard. Granted, the latter comparison does actually fit with how a lot of people behave on the Internet, but I wouldn't say that applies to everyone who doesn't like his shows or projects.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Oh me, oh my, what a mess.
Not even going into anything Butch has said, but if he's actually going to sink money into this, oooooooh boy, this is going to crash and burn in a way none of us have yet seen.

Movies and TV series are one thing, but an entire streaming platform meant to compete with Youtube and Netflix? Oh goodness, assuming the thing even gets made I expect it to last five months at best.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oh Butch you shouldn't have done this, just because you are someone from Hollywood doesn't mean that you are above all, especially if you decided to address this topic that sudden after your kickstarter finished, this was wayyy tooooooo early to say, when you don't even know how well will Oaxis do after the Kickstarter.

You are dealing with the internet, you might not be one to succumb to criticism but not even your credit will earn your victory. This video might not be one you look back in positivity regardless of the outcome of Oaxis, it gives so many wrong ideas.

Dudley

Staff member
Butch is using a tactic and attitude that you'd use with a a real life bully; a person who goes out of his/her way, to make you feel bad. But this isn't a real life bully. You're dealing with people on the internet, and whether someone's trolling you, or thinks they're giving good advice but in an unintentional condescending tone, you have to be really careful how you respond. Because whether you're in the right or not, people online don't like those who brush off critique. Because that's when the trolls really come at you, and if you're not careful or apologize, it's only going to get worse. MUCH worse. They'll spread your anti-critique behavior across social media, and people who don't even know the full story will gunning for him, and will be driven off social media entirely. They might even try to hack Oaxis now!
You guys know Andrew Dobson / Tom Preston? What they did to him, they're going to do to Butch

Honestly? I'm not surprised this happened. I felt it was only a matter of time. Plus Oaxis really is a dumb, unnecessary idea, and having it be the new home for his shows isn't going to change that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.

Featured Posts