Bunsen is a Beast Series Talkback

SmileyToonatic

This is the first show made by Butch Hartman to not use his traditional thick black outline around the characters, and I don't like the change. The thick black outline is a trademark for Butch Hartman so this seems really untraditional for him to design like this. And I too was reminded of My Gym Partner's a Monkey when I read the premise (by the way I love that show, Jake Spidermonkey was hilarious) But Bunsen is a Beast doesn't sound nearly as good. And I have a question: will the show be hand drawn animation or Adobe Flash? Because it could go either way. I'm hoping for hand drawn though.

I kinda wish Butch Hartman pitched one of his better looking ideas to Nick. I was watching Butch's YouTube channel and he had a poster of a cartoon he drew called Planet Penny:
image.png

It looks more interesting than Bunsen is a Beast to me...

And another one called Meeses!:
image.png

What do you guys think? Would you prefer Planet Penny or Meeses over Bunsen is a Beast? I know I would! They look a lot better!

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
This is the first show made by Butch Hartman to not use his traditional thick black outline around the characters, and I don't like the change. The thick black outline is a trademark for Butch Hartman so this seems really untraditional for him to design like this. And I too was reminded of My Gym Partner's a Monkey when I read the premise (by the way I love that show, Jake Spidermonkey was hilarious) But Bunsen is a Beast doesn't sound nearly as good. And I have a question: will the show be hand drawn animation or Adobe Flash? Because it could go either way. I'm hoping for hand drawn though.

I kinda wish Butch Hartman pitched one of his better looking ideas to Nick. I was watching Butch's YouTube channel and he had a poster of a cartoon he drew called Planet Penny:
View attachment 71422
It looks more interesting than Bunsen is a Beast to me...

And another one called Meeses!:
View attachment 71432

What do you guys think? Would you prefer Planet Penny or Meeses over Bunsen is a Beast? I know I would! They look a lot better!

I think Butch should take a break from animation, seriously his shows are basically the same style in both an artistic and comedic standpoint.

Rhaynebow

Honestly, I still kind of like his style. It has a neat 1950s look to it that looks dang good when done right. At least he's experimenting. For someone with his animation caliber, he could've easily stayed the same. But he didn't, so I can respect that.

But that's just visually-speaking. Tone-wise, he needs to realize that screaming idiots can't entertain kids forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaneMan

If the the shows are good then Id agree with Nick is a little hit or miss with its animation. They're improving but still a little hit or miss and this is Hartman we are talking about

I'd still take bad animation over no animatiopn at all

ShadowBeast

I think Butch should take a break from animation, seriously his shows are basically the same style in both an artistic and comedic standpoint.
He should just pitch shows and let someone else handle the writing, and I mean a non-yes-man doing the writing.

Toonatic

I for one, look forward to this and wish the very best.

As for what I want to see; either Planet Penny or Meeses, Planet Penny sounds promising but it reminds me of Planet Sheen. But like I said, it sounds and looks promising. So yeah, Planet Penny definitely.

chum_chum

Wow, I kinda already hate it.
I think Butch already wrote every comedic script he could ever write, so now he is in the recycling mode. Why Nick ordered his show? Wasn't TUFF Puppy's flop enough? And the fact that this is a copy of a CN show does not help either. Nick never learn. I would rather watch 10 more Breadwinners-like shows, at least they are from brand new creators and not from him.
FOP has to die already, but if Nick wants to milk this show so much, they need to give FOP a completely new writing team, and pretend that those trashy dog and girl-next-door characters never happened.
Maybe Butch needs another action show, kind of like Danny Phantom, with great character development, coehesive storyline and minimum amount of jokes.
The only thing I enjoy is character designs, at least his art-style is not as repetetive as his comedic timing

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
^ Hey, you can never have too much animation on an animation network!

Too many of Nick's animated content is universally bashed by people and mistreated by the network. In conclusion, it's an illusion of change - since SBSP and TMNT are all they really care about. Otherwise, things would be different and Nick would NOT be the most hated channel by people!

Maybe if Spongebob were de-throned and ended like FOP needs to be, and these cartoons were made with actual merit and variety to save this sinking ship, then and only then would I be more accepting of this. Too bad most of these show ideas (including this one) just aren't passable anymore.

Lord Hater

Retired
Maybe if Spongebob were de-throned and ended like FOP needs to be, and these cartoons were made with actual merit and variety to save this sinking ship, then and only then would I be more accepting of this. Too bad most of these show ideas (including this one) just aren't passable anymore.
Nickelodeon would be dead without SpongeBob SquarePants. They should keep the show until the other ones get established.

SaneMan

^ The problem is that Nickelodeon does not allow other shows to establish themselves, because they keep comparing them to SpongeBob's ratings, and dismiss them for not having as high ratings right from the getgo

ShadowBeast

^ The problem is that Nickelodeon does not allow other shows to establish themselves, because they keep comparing them to SpongeBob's ratings, and dismiss them for not having as high ratings right from the getgo
It's like Nick is comparing rocks to a diamond without seeing if there's another diamond hidden inside those rocks.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
C.H. Greenblatt said at one point that Nick is trying to do what they can to make these shows gain popularity but because of the rise of digital platforms they are having a hard time transitioning.

But does anyone here buy that at all? I certainly don't. I almost want to directly tell the guy that they're clearly not trying as hard as they could because he really does deserve better.

Last edited:

ToonJay723

Staff member
C.H. Greenblatt said at one point that Nick is trying to do what they can to make these shows gain popularity but because of the rise of digital platforms they are having a hard time transitioning.

But does anyone here buy that at all? I certainly don't. I almost want to directly tell the guy that they're clearly not trying as hard as they could out of sympathy.
I just think they're incompetent. It's not rocket science, TMNT does well on Sunday mornings, move your shows there, and give them weekday repeat slots so more kids are aware of their existence.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
I just think they're incompetent. It's not rocket science, TMNT does well on Sunday mornings, move your shows there, and give them weekday repeat slots so more kids are aware of their existence.
Exactly. If they were trying like Greenblatt claimed they were, they would do something like that. But they aren't, so his argument completely falls apart.

The fact that people like us could literally do a far better job with just a couple minutes of thinking than executives with years and years of experience and education is incredibly sad, and the fact that Greenblatt thinks they're doing better than they are just makes the situation worse IMO.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

But does anyone here buy that at all? I certainly don't. I almost want to directly tell the guy that they're clearly not trying as hard as they could because he really does deserve better.
I'm not buying that either. Other networks have adapted to the digital age just fine so Nick should be able to but they don't try hard enough.

SaneMan

Nickelodoen, or rather their parent company Viacom, are stuck in the past, and refuse to move forward.
In fact, years ago, Viacom was even heavily lobbying to pass laws that would make on-line streaming and distribution (something their competition does nowadays) allot less efficient
They were pretty much trying to stop progress

Mikurotoro92

Banned
Nah, I don't see that happening, honestly.

why? hartman is popular & he is the creator who has created the most cartoons on nick (the one who created the most live-action shows is of course dan schneider) & nick green-lit this new show so wouldn't that mean they believe in it as much as they did with FOP & SBSP? as much as i like FOP & SBSP it really pains me to say this but nick should find something to replace them!

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
why? hartman is popular & he is the creator who has created the most cartoons on nick (the one who created the most live-action shows is of course dan schneider) & nick green-lit this new show so wouldn't that mean they believe in it as much as FOP & SBSP? as much as i like FOP & SBSP it really pains me to say this but nick should find something to replace them!

That's just it. Unless what Nick replaces SBSP & FOP is as good as or better than something like Harvey Beaks (only because of its (internet) popularity - even though I think that show is too nice for its own good, and doesn't seem capable of lasting, either), I don't see it happening fast enough. No offense.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts