"Bunnicula" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Announced as part of WB's new development deal with Boomerang, the classic children's book series, Bunnicula, will be rising from the dead soon. No firm release date yet.
The first of Boomerang’s new original series from Warner Bros Animation are set for a global rollout this fall. They include Bunnicula, an animated comedy series based on the bestselling children’s book. The series follows the paranormal comedy adventures of Bunnicula the vampire rabbit, who — instead of drinking blood — drains the juice of carrots and other vegetables to boost his supernatural abilities.

jolPlkB.jpg

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
Last edited:

DeanBurrito25

Juding by the style of that image I assume Jessica Borutski has found more work since Wabbit and The Looney Tunes Show?

Dudley

Staff member
Man, it's been years since I've last heard of Bunnicula. I hope it's good.
It's also cool that aside from Mike Tyson Mysteries this is WB Animation's first cartoon not to be based on a property they already own in what feels like years. Since Xiaolin Showdown, I believe.

DHB8008

Man, it's been years since I've last heard of Bunnicula. I hope it's good.
It's also cool that aside from Mike Tyson Mysteries this is WB Animation's first cartoon not to be based on a property they already own in what feels like years. Since Xiaolin Showdown, I believe.
Well WB made the Mad show for CN, which wasn't one of their properties.

There was also Coconut Fred and WB did season 1 of Johnny Test.

Last edited:

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
It's also cool that aside from Mike Tyson Mysteries this is WB Animation's first cartoon not to be based on a property they already own in what feels like years.
I have a feeling the new series will more or less be a modern take on the Ruby-Spears animated special from 1982. That's probably how WBA received the rights to produce this adaption, with the acquisition of the RS production library. I noticed in the original press release, they add that the new show is based off of the book, but not the book series.
Bunnicula is an all-new animated comedy series based on the bestselling children's book of the same name.
The 1982 special was released the same year the book's first sequel came out. It would make sense.

Last edited:

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Whoa, talk about unexpected. I remember reading the original novel back in elementary school. Unlike the cartoon, the book made it ambiguous whether or not Bunnicula was really a vampire. I wonder if the book's main characters, Harold the dog and Chester the cat, are going to appear.

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
I wonder if the book's main characters, Harold the dog and Chester the cat, are going to appear.
I was thinking about that as well. If they focus on Bunnicula himself, it might end up like Wabbit with some Halloween theming, but if Borutski worked on both shows hopefully there will be some diversity between the two. Chester and Harold will probably appear (with their significance in each episode to be determined), and I cannot wait to see how they'll look in Jessica's art style.

I assume there will be some other publicity photos (there always is in WBA's case) with such a short time before the debut, but Turner's Pressroom has been down for weeks, so I dunno.

Last edited:

ILuvToons

Yellow Pearl got sass!
Cool! I remember reading the book a bit in elementary school. The problem is it's airing exclusively on Boomerang, meaning not everyone will be able to see it. Oh well, we'll wait and see. Might be worth the watch.

GC13

What would Doyle do?
Clicked this all excited, saw a rabbit that seems far too peppy to be my Bunnicula, not excited anymore. I'll bet they're going to make him the main character too. :-(
</sourpuss>

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
Found this interesting tidbit on Twitter. James Howe, who wrote the Bunnicula series, announced at the "Teachers College Reading Institute" yesterday that Bunnicula would air next year on Cartoon Network. Looks like someone didn't give him the facts straight, as neither the date nor network is correct. That is, unless it goes to CN after it finishes its run on Boomerang, but that wouldn't seem logical. Or, he could have received this information not long after Bunnicula was greenlit by WBA and they were convinced at the time that it would be airing on CN. It seems rather confusing to me.

https://twitter.com/clemenkat/status/616688144352677889
https://twitter.com/franmcveigh/status/616688103944798209

EDIT: I found an article written by Fran McVeigh, who wrote the second linked tweet.
https://franmcveigh.wordpress.com/2015/07/03/tcrwp-day-4-reading-institute-2015/
We heard that Charlotte’s Web was [James Howe's] favorite book (first edition) and that Bunnicula will be on the Cartoon Network in 2016.

Last edited:

SurlyGuy

You don't have to worry. This is going to be a great show. Bunnicula is cute, yes, but the show is NOT saccharine. It's pretty dark in places. I'm not allowed to give much away but I can tell you it's a spooky fun show in the style of Beetlejuice or Tales from the Crypt (That's my own interpretation anyway) It's very atmospheric, and the art style is incredible. After years of what I can only describe as "ugly-mation" on CN, this is probably the closest style to the original Warner Bros animation style. Or perhaps it just stands out that way because of ugly shows like Superjail! or Aqua Teen or any of that Adult Swim drek devoid of appealing character design. (Again, my opinion, no one has to agree) And from what I've seen of the animation, it's also a step up in quality. For fans of the books, I can tell you right now, there are differences, but nothing too drastic or out of character. To give away much more would be very naughty of me, so I'll just end by saying that of all the shows I've ever worked on, this one is the most fun.

Oh and yes, Chester and Harold are in fact the other two main characters.

Last edited:

GC13

What would Doyle do?
I suppose there's nothing for me to do but wait and see.

Normally I identify most with Pearl from Steven Universe, but this is striking a nostalgic chord with me and I have to get my Connie on: "I just hope it stays faithful to the book."

She said that about a movie called "Dogcopter 3D", so it fits quite well. :p

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Sounds interesting. Could be the new Little Dracula:

Urgh, I sure hope not. Little Dracula was just too darn silly, and not in a good way, even though if featured the awesomeness of Joe Flaherty and Jonathan Winters among the voice talent.

SurlyGuy

I agree. That Little Dracula stuff smacks of everything wrong with animation,well, 90's animation or whenever that was made. The voice talent in Bunnicula is great. They match character personalities perfectly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts