Bruce Timm replaced Mark Hamill as Solomon Grundy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it is true that Mark Hamill's not doing any more voices for the DCAU. That sucks because if the creative gets to use the Joker again. It won't be the same.......

Of course not that I don't mean any offense to b.t., because I don't, haven't even heard his Solomon voice yet, But I was asking if does this mean the end of Mark Hamill's work in the DCAU?

Last edited by a moderator:

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
It's not as big a deal as you make it sound:

Grundy never talks in the episode, he just grunts. It was hardly worth bringing in Hamil for grunting noises. Mr. Timm does some great grunt work, actually

Trevor Balena

I can tell you what it does mean: you spoiled the return of Solomon Grundy in the title of this thread.

Is there a Moderator in the house?

Killtacular

the race wars had begun
TBalena said:
I can tell you what it does mean: you spoiled the return of Solomon Grundy in the title of this thread.
They freaking show him in the COMMERCIALS FOR THE SHOW. And in the EPISODE PREVIEW. And just about everywhere else. The only way to not know that he is in the episode at this point is to have shut your eyes and ears tight between each week's episode. Which wouldn't be convenient when driving or going to the post office.

Knight

Emerald Knight
The Grundy voice didnt require a lot this time around so Bruce Timm probably decided to pocket the cash and do it himself. He does a good job so dont worry.

Juu-kuchi

Everypony's Starry-Eyed
JUST BECAUSE MARK HAMILL DOES NOT VOICE ONE OF HIS CHARACTERS IN ONE CERTAIN EPISODE DOES NOT MEAN THAT HE WILL NOT COME BACK.

I mean look at the context of "Wake the Dead" when you watch it and see whether or not it was necessary for Mark Hamill to do such an episode.

Trevor Balena

Matt Wilson said:
They freaking show him in the COMMERCIALS FOR THE SHOW. And in the EPISODE PREVIEW. And just about everywhere else. The only way to not know that he is in the episode at this point is to have shut your eyes and ears tight between each week's episode. Which wouldn't be convenient when driving or going to the post office.
First of all, I don't recall seeing him in the episode preview, but you could be right. And I only saw that commercial once, and even then, barely, because I had gone out of the room for a sec. My point is, it's not like everybody knows he's coming back; I've heard people complain in the past about having this exact plot point spoiled for them.

And, it any rate, it's a moot point. We don't base our definition of "spoilers" on what we think other people might have heard elsewhere already, we base it on things that give away information on future episodes that a lot of people don't want to be exposed to beforehand.

Putting them in a post without spoiler space is bad enough, but it's unavoidable when it's sitting right there in the thread title.

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
TBalena, where are you from? Your location says Canada, in which case we already got the episode weeks ago, so any spoilers are pretty moot...

Trevor Balena

Simple Simon said:
TBalena, where are you from? Your location says Canada, in which case we already got the episode weeks ago, so any spoilers are pretty moot...
Yes, I'm from Canada, and yes, I did see "Wake The Dead" weeks ago, but I don't like seeing the episode get spoiled for other people.

But, since I seem to be the only one who cares, I guess I'll just drop it.

By the by: Bruce Timm does do a great job as Grundy... there's a couple of places where there's some real acting involved in the grunts and groans that he does, and he really sells it.

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
Seing that the joker won`t showing up in JLu anymore he may have gave up his VA job for DCAU. Which mean it`s really is a end of a era.:(

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
RAINMAN said:
Seing that the joker won`t showing up in JLu anymore he may have gave up his VA job for DCAU. Which mean it`s really is a end of a era.
Did several people not just say that Grundy doesn't actually speak?

Please read the posts above you.

There's no point bringing an actor in to grunt... I've heard they now actually a machine that does it for them.

If you ever watched MTV Spider-Man, you'll notice Stan Lee played a character in part 1, but his none speaking role in part 2 was played by a grunting machine. Or so the producer says...

b.t.

spidey, did you just compare me to a "grunting machine"? hurrrmmm! but man, if such a thing really exists, we gotta get one of those, it'd save us a bundle on looping....

anyhow, what happened was this: mark was in new york doing a play on broadway when "wake the dead" was to be recorded...we DO occasionally record out-of-state actors via phone-patch when we have to, but it's quite a bit more expensive (studio and technician fees are doubled, for instance, and ma bell charges an arm-and-two-legs for HER services), and seeing as how grundy only grunts and roars in the episode (and i've "stunt-doubled" mark's grundy in the past, with some success) i figured i could handle it this one time...if grundy had actually had to say real dialogue, we would have used mark, and damn the extra expense....

funny thing: when i covered grundy's looping in "the terror beyond", it was because mark was getting over a severe sore throat, and the grundy roars were killing him...wouldn't you know, when we did the "wake the dead" looping, i had walking pneumonia, and after an hour of primal grundy screaming i could barely talk...

and, for the record, yes, my voice was electronically pitched WAY deeper , by about 20%, (same as when mark does grundy)...

b.t. said:
spidey, did you just compare me to a "grunting machine"? hurrrmmm! but man, if such a thing really exists, we gotta get one of those, it'd save us a bundle on looping....

anyhow, what happened was this: mark was in new york doing a play on broadway when "wake the dead" was to be recorded...we DO occasionally record out-of-state actors via phone-patch when we have to, but it's quite a bit more expensive (studio and technician fees are doubled, for instance, and ma bell charges an arm-and-two-legs for HER services), and seeing as how grundy only grunts and roars in the episode (and i've "stunt-doubled" mark's grundy in the past, with some success) i figured i could handle it this one time...if grundy had actually had to say real dialogue, we would have used mark, and damn the extra expense....

funny thing: when i covered grundy's looping in "the terror beyond", it was because mark was getting over a severe sore throat, and the grundy roars were killing him...wouldn't you know, when we did the "wake the dead" looping, i had walking pneumonia, and after an hour of primal grundy screaming i could barely talk...

and, for the record, yes, my voice was electronically pitched WAY deeper , by about 20%, (same as when mark does grundy)...
So what you're saying is, this does not mean the end of Mark's work in the DCAU? Like if you got to use the Joker again or if Grundy comes back (with actual dialogue), you'd definately use him right?

Knight

Emerald Knight
Batman's Biggest Fan said:
So what you're saying is, this does not mean the end of Mark's work in the DCAU? Like if you got to use the Joker again or if Grundy comes back (with actual dialogue), you'd definately use him right?
Thats pretty much what he said.But deep down we all know that JLU will be over before they ever get a chance to use The Joker again.

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /
Knight said:
Thats pretty much what he said.But deep down we all know that JLU will be over before they ever get a chance to use The Joker again.
*smack!*
Don't say that! You'll jinx something! :(

Well our best chance of Joker and all the other Batman characters returning would have to be if The Batman is cancelled, which I'm sorry to say is unlikely though I would like it to be cancelled as it's a disgrace to the Batman name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts