British dub of The Powerpuff Girls???

Latest News

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon analyst, Harvey Street ambassador.
Jan 10, 2015
Ratings
7,266 86
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.youtube.com
A British dub of the original Powerpuff Girls show supposedly aired on Channel 5 (which is now owned by Viacom, who owns Cartoon Network's rival channel Nickelodeon)'s block for preschoolers. The video games based on the series were also said to be redubbed with UK voice actors just like with Thomas & Friends when it has both US and UK dubs.

Jo Wyatt, the British voice of Buttercup, has included a small voice clip as part of her demo reel.

Existence has been confirmed of this dub, by people from the UK who used to watch it on Channel 5's Milkshake! strand. They then showed the original US version, after people emailed in asking why the voices were different on Cartoon Network.

Last edited:
Ms. Keane, Ms. Bellum and Princess Morbucks were voiced by Teresa Gallagher in the British dub? (voice of Nicole Watterson and Penny in Gumball).

The Powerpuff Girls (1998) (Lost UK Dub, Existence Confirmed)

I knew Channel 5 aired the show, but didn't know it was a separate dub, had no reason to watch it on Ch 5 as I had CN, I think may of watched it at least once on Ch 5, but I was probably too young to know the differences in voices. Also Ch 5 was only available on cable and digital TV in my area at the time.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
Ratings
UK
I have the PAL/UK releases of Relish Rampage for the PS2, and Him and Seek for the Game Boy Advance, both of which feature the original (US) voice cast, so this part, at least, seems to be incorrect.

I don't recall ever watching PPG on C5 so cannot confirm or deny this story, but until some hard evidence like an off-air recording comes to light I would take this with a pinch of salt. I posted to UK media-centric forums at the time and C5 showing PPG would come up occasionally. in particular I remember discussion that C5 had pulled a number of episodes from rotation following 9/11, but cannot recall any mention of an altered UK dub ever airing. In general the internet was already quite established by this time, and PPG had quite a strong fan-site etc presence, I suspect there would be more than this out there.

It would also have been strange given the UK's history of not dubbing American cartoons, even when it would have made pragmatic sense. Top Cat was renamed Boss Cat in the UK from first airing until the late 80s to avoid confusion with a brand of cat food, but the episodes aired unaltered with the main character still referred to as Top Cat and T.C. Conversely G.I. Joe was renamed Action Force to tie-in with a UK toyline of the same name, but the dubbing was only applied to those lines specifically referring to the Joe unit itself, which was extremely awkward and frankly dubbing the whole thing from scratch would have actually worked much better.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Oct 29, 2016
Ratings
1,364 14
New Mexico
How...odd. Though not entirely unheard of, I'm reminded of the redubbing of The Magic Roundabout movie, better known as Doogal, only now in reverse.

For the life I can't even fathom why they would do this for a show that was already in english. It feels like a waste of effort and time.