Boruto Monthly Manga Talkback (Spoilers)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Naruto the series may be over, but you can't keep a good ninja down. Or rather this series is still such a sales cow they'll continue finding ways of advancing it. We've already seen that with a special side series, some comedic one shots, and a movie dedicated to the next generation after the seventh Hokage, but now we're getting the next full on thing. A new Naruto manga. One that Mashashi Kishimoto is mostly just producing... except for the first chapter, out now, which has the origin of one of the more mysterious characters of this new generation. How's that go? Find out... in the spoiler review.

Now it's been hinted at before who Mitsuki, the member of the main squad of characters including Boruto Uzumaki and Sarada Uchida, lineage is. But this chapter finally comes out and clears everything out. Since yeah like many suspected he is indeed the child of Orochimaru... as in a subject created by the snake Sanin injected with various kinds of DNA that give him abilities like Sage powers that Orochimaru wishes for him to... I'm not sure exactly of what his end goal is with this or even if it's suppose to be sinister. I'm also not sure since this mostly takes place before the Scarlet Spring how Orochimaru was even able to be let outside so easily if he was under lock and guard by Yamamto... unless Yamato really does suck that much. Point is this answers the big question for Mitsuki and gives him his purpose: to live the full extent of his life not being ordered around by the adult who control him even if that's what he is sort of doing. Honestly this reminds me of the plot of Hardcore Henry: someone agumented with special abilities wake up to find out their memories of been taken and the supposed love one needs their help to raid the supposed villianous force using them, who in turn just created them as part of an experiment to make the ultimate super soldier. Here though since Mitsuki can speak it's more of a story about the character's own internal struggle with his memories and what he's being told and honestly it's actually pretty good. I don't know why but after finishing the main Naruto series, these other Naruto chapters are a lot better written and flow a lot better. Heck I even liked the battle between Older Mitsuki and Orochimaru of how he supposedly got through his snake armor and what not. And honestly though Mitsuki was acting a bit weird and creepy in the Sarada story this makes him click more as a character. Again for a series named after Bortuo of the three man team he's the one I care the least about now. Maybe the actual spin off will do better with that but until then yeah go Sarada then Mitsuki and... I guess whatever Boruto's point is can go after that. I guess Bortuo has some connection with Mitsuki which part of me thought was cheesy for Orochimaru to say... but it makes sense as Orochimaru obviously learned how much Naruto and Sasuke pushed each other and wants to make his own kin do so to unlock his full potential so hey using that cliche to his advantage so... good on you ya creepy snake guy.

Yeah guess whenever more chapters come out we'll talk about this series here so until then... talk whatever you want about the new Boruto series everyone.

Neo Ultra Mike

The first regular chapter of Boruto has come out *looks around vacant thread* ... fine I guess I'll just be posting my thoughts on these chapters when they come out so yeah chapter 1 thoughts.

Okay first off I get the idea of having a special hook to this series even if the only hook you should need is "sequel to Naruto". In this case most of this seeming story being a flashback before Boruto's big flash with Kawaki but... there are several huge problems with that. First off as you have no idea who Kawaki is any interaction you're going to get with him during the story is just going to feel false or wasted. Like a "well he may seem nice at first when he pops up but you know he's going to be the big bad that Boruto clashes with at the end" so since you already know the outcome it makes it annoying whenever we're going to have to deal with him until we get there. You honestly need a mystery of who with these sort of things like if Boruto was fighting someone but we had no idea why or what he did as yeah we don't know why exactly these two are clashing but it has something to do with the destruction of the leaf village and... death of Naruto. Which yeah is another way of honking off your readers right off the gate: you're saying the character you cared about in the first series is going to die just so we can make way for our new hero. Which if it's something like Legend of Korra and that's just part of how the world works with the Avatar cycle I get it. Or if it's like even the new Star Wars where yeah Han Solo dies but the movie didn't start of saying he was killed by Kylo Ren but rather that's just how it played out. This is saying Naruto dies and honestly that's a pretty bad hook especially when you give the why as well. Not to mention by showing us this apocalypse image first it makes everything going till we get there feel superflorous. Like how can I care about Boruto's angst and the drama of the other kids if I know the big thing is the entire village being destroyed and their leader being offed? Really this was NOT a good way to start this chapter off any way you think about it.

Honestly even besides that the rest of the chapter also had problems. I've made it clear I really liked Sarada as a character and her struggles and backstory and motivation. And heck the preview even got me behind Mitsuki and his story some as well but mannnnnnnnnn can I not get into Boruto at all. What they're doing is actually well handled and I get the dramatic beats and the struggle but... Hinata was being nice saying "it's like night and day compared to what Naruto struggled through." And by that I mean it feels like a very family movie cliche from the 90's drama of "oh dad is too busy with his job and doesn't spend enough time with me and us." Yeah having a shadow clone for your sister's birthday isn't the best thing and it does seem Naruto has a lot of time focused on the worries of the village and I can see that being a thing to tick a kid off but... there has to be more to them then that. Since yeah seems Boruto's biggest angst is his father not being around and that making him want to act out. Which is honestly NOTHING especially comapred to what even his team mates have went through. Mitsuki is a clone trying to discover the true purpose of his identity, and Sarada has much more legitimete and ticked off reasons to be angry and disgusted at her father's behavior since yeah he barely spends any time around his kids but also doesn't tell his family at all what he's doing. Naruto just being busy with meetings and working late nights isn't nearly as bad and the fact Boruto makes such a fuss about it even saying "it was better off for my dad since his dad wasn't around at all and that's how it should be" is just cold and insulting. Not to mention this guy is even less a team player then Naruto was when he first started out. At least Naruto seemed interested in wanting to be in a team even if it wasn't with Sasuke and it was because he had a crush on Sakura. Boruto is just "oh I can make shadow clones to be my team mates I don't need you guys" and just has this massive chip on his soldier that's really hard to get past.

I mean there are interesting things with this Katasuke who seems like he could be a villain who favors making these new technology to replace standard ninja devices who feels Naruto isn't respecting his work and is trying to get around cheating to learn and train super advance modes as that's how technology marches on and I like the bits with the other families and the actual drama and emotion is well staged and presented but yeahhhhhhhhhhh if I don't like the main character it will be hard getting around this series. Maybe Boruto will eventually grow on you but this chapter confirms what I felt about watching Scarlet Spring: a Sarada spin off and focus would of been the way to go. Yes Boruto's story is different then Naruto's story. I get it Boruto you don't need to say it 5 times for me to get that. It doesn't mean your story is any good and what we should be spending time on when as we've already seen your team mates are better then you. Even at Naruto's worst I never felt the Naruto character wast so inefficent and an irritant he wasn't the hero we should stick with in 700 of those chapters but... one of you and I'm feeling that so what does that say?

mumbo

Look skyward
This manga is starting out by adapting the Boruto movie, which is definitely a letdown. Dragon Ball Super all over again.

I found the art a bit jarring. It's similar to Kishimoto's in a lot of ways but doesn't quite match, so there's an uncanny valley effect going on there. I've never been a huge fan of Kishimoto's art, it was always a bit too clean and static for my liking, so I wish Ikemoto would go more with his own style than imitating Kishi.

The flash forward to Boruto fighting Kawaki was intriguing at least, wonder how long it will take before we catch up to that.

Neo Ultra Mike

Boruto chapter two is out and here are my thoughts on it.

*Sighs* It's sad when your series biggest problem is it's title star because that's such a huge problem to get over. Especially when it feels like a repeat of Naruto's story except the passion and drive aren't justified, the goal isn't worth while, and the kid just seems like a whiner that doesn't bother doing anything productive whatsoever. You know by chapter two his story Naruto had stuck up for his teacher and spent hours mastering a fairly difficult for a child move on his own after learning the horrible truth about his legacy, used what seemed like joke tactics against another teacher to knock him down and inspired someone else to better his life. What's Boruto done besides whine and complain ,and in this chapter constantly point out his goal is just to defeat his father and then cheat to make a bigger Rasengan? I get it: he't not like Naruto, but that should mean he should be a character we like. Mitsuki has a different arc the Orochimaru and I like him. Sarada is very different from Sasuke and Sakura and I really like her... sans the stuff here that has her just stalking Boruto. Seriously Sarada you have more going on in your life then this loser even if he is a team mate; you don't need to keep spying on him. Also maybe it's been awhile but that Konomharu Kore joke just seems like a bad translated pun that doesn't translate and grand standing Naruto even if it's to try and get to Boruto does get rather annoying.

Sadly despite the major issues with this one I think this is a better chapter overall for the other stuff going on in it. Katsuke appearing again with his ninja tech is interesting, I like the other bits we get of Sarada like pointing out her dad is around more and knowing how Sakura gets when wanting to "be around" Sasuke, and though it's a pretty been there done that idea to build up this new villians by having them so eaisly and so off screen take out Killer Bee, the fight they had before Sasuke was decent and curious exactly how a fight with Naruto would go. And he idea of dealing with more from Kaguya's era was something promised before so it at least it feels like a worthwhile follow up. Again though anything with Boruto just drags this story down from having to deal with this annoyance. Really if I wasn't so loyal/desperate for Naruto content I'd drop this story for this stupid whiny kid who has as much reason to whine as Jamie from Jingle All The Way: Sorry you didn't get a turbo ninja doll Boruto but you're dad has better things to do then cosplay as your favorite fictional hero to fight the evils of Sinbad... whose comedy is probably scarier then the two other energy stealing mooks around heh heh.

Neo Ultra Mike

My thoughts on Boruto chapter 3.

Probably the best chapter so far since only a part of it was spent on Boruto's whining though... yeah there was still quite a bit of that but at least it was added up to something: in his desire to try and supposedly be better then his dad and do things his own ninja way he ends up needing to either be constantly saved by his team mates or cheating to get ahead. As his own natural skills aren't nearly as good as he believed. And granted with Naruto you had some of that starting out but by the Chinin exams he could more then handle his own weight... that reminds me I think it's weird how they're doing the Chunin exams since yeah I don't remember them having day long breaks from each part. Maybe that's something that's been implimented in the new generation so it's a lot harder to pull crap like Orochimaru did but it is odd to see. I guess it could also in a sense be a commentary on our move safety prone life style where yeah worst you can get instead of a forest of death is a hole filled with ink if you fail. But yeah those are the only annoying points: Bolt's whining and the odd usage of the Chunin Exams now. I think everything else worked.

Though I still don't know a lot of the kids names I do like setting up the new Sand trio and their interactions with Gaara and Kankuro (the puppet brother's "uh yeah guess he picked that up from you know who" look was great) and... Rock Lee Jr among others. And the actual ideas this time around for the exams were good as the "answer a question that likely doesn't have an answer and see if you accept failure or not if you pass" were good. And again since I'm a fan of Sarada I really dig her wanting to pick something that her father wouldn't and her and Mitsuki helping save Bolt from falling in and how the new Ino Shikko Cho team worked with that and the other challenge and how the new sand siblings were able to technically win the capture the flag against new Rock Lee and Bolt only winning his through cheating and everyone else just assuming it's because he's Naruto son. Since that's a good catch 22; loose and be a failure but even win and cheat and looks like you only succeeded due to relations which isn't what Boruto wants either. So yeah this was a really solid read. Honestly the action and focus on others even puts it a bit above One Piece for me since though I think the drama between Sanji and his father is more interesting, the moment of Naruto sending that email to Boruto and his annoyance to it spoke a lot about that relationship and there's a lot more going on with the Chunin Exams full in swing. So yeah solid stuff here and can't wait to see how the rest plays out.

Neo Ultra Mike

Boruto chapter 4 is out so here are my thoughts on it.... not putting in spoilers because I'm like the only one who comes to this thread anyway so just going to cut to the review.

I could make complaints I have in previous chapters about "can we please focus on other characters more then Boruto?" I would of loved to have seen more of the various other battles especially with Sarada and Choucho and Shikdai and others then the little glimpses we get as honestly the battles in the Chunin exam round 3 were by far some of the best battles of Naruto and if any of the magic of Hinata vs Neji or Rock Lee vs Gaara or even Naruto vs Kiba could of been captured, that would of been worth seeing. I guess since this apparently is all based on the Boruto movie instead of an original plot that'd make more sense as a movie kind of has to keep a more narrow focus but again I honestly would of prefered getting much more time spent on building up these other new recruits who children of the main cast or not could make for some epic fights. But instead of that I'm going to instead focus on something else.

I am possibly... almost close to liking Boruto.

I still think the kid is annoying and honestly I don't feel bad for the ending where Naruto figures out he's cheating (I wonder why the proctors in the exame didn't notice that but remember these were the guys in the original Chunin Exam didn't notice when Orochimaru had disgusied himself like several times to watch what was happening or got instant sleep gased out so I suppose that fits. You think super genius Shikamaru would notice at least though) but since there's not as much of him just whining in this chapter and actually wanting to prove himself he makes for a compelling character. Him actually winning through his own skills in the first match actually being happy Naruto was proud of his success and saying his opponent's tagline was lame and not even remembering his name was actually a good moment for him. And quite honestly I do like how this time around Naruto is actually trying to be a more supportive parent actually seeing Boruto and congraulting him but then that turning around when he realized the kid is cheating. Of course with that planner guy and those mysterious people looking for the Fox chakra looks like we're going to be interrupted before that is given much focus anyway but it's honestly good character stuff. It is still weird how different these chunin exams feel from the ones from the first series but for the character moments we get here from Naruto and his Son, Naruto and Shikamaru and even Naruto and Sasuke it actually does flesh things out more. Plus knowing that the **** is about to go down next time really does amp up your curiousity on how it's going to play up which is always a good thing.

I admit I still would want to see more from the other characters but finally coming around a bit on Boruto and the flow of this one did actually make me really dig it. I think since there was more characters in chapter 3 that was still better but again getting me to like Boruto more and finally him getting caught on his cheating were good moments and since I didn't see the Boruto movie looking forward onto how the rest of this pans out.

Neo Ultra Mike

Thoughts on Boruto chapter 5 since it's out and again I'm the only one who comes here so no spoiler tags.

I do like how with the Sarada mini series they are trying to parallel the kid's drama with the actual villain. There it was about cloning about genetics vs who actually raised and what exactly are you trying to pass down to your children. This is "you can't just use technology and cheating drugs to get strong. That is doing it the wrong way and makes your power not your own but simply a tool that says more wrong about you then right." I also like how we do get to see bits of the others trying to help clear out the stadium or take on the baddies like with Temari and Sakura and Gaara and Shikamaru (didn't see that Earth Kage do anything despite the other Kages helping out though so what's up with that?) though I again wish we got more from the kids. Did we really need to see Sarada so useless here needing to be saved by Sasuke and then later protected by Boruto and at least show she's not just another Sakura and can help herself? That's pretty lame. Though the actual build up of the villains walking around so easily at first and knocking away Naruto and taking Boruto's fake attacks and then seeing that giant energy ball they were forming at the end gave them a sense of intimidation especially if Naruto has to go all out with the nine tails for the first time in awhile so that stuff was good.

Honestly not much else to say about this one as it's more of a "stuff actually went down and the action has started" sort of chapter. I did like the opening of Naruto wanting Boruto to be disqualified for cheating and Bortuo trying to drag their family drama out now that it's in the spot light but again quickly sidelined now that the action started. Same with the technology guy who I guess wasn't in league with the villain or anything with how easily he was knocked away unless for some reason that was his plan. Eh an alright build up of action chapter that would of been better if we saw others step up but again obviously based on the movie that probably had to focus on specific characters but again hope we do get more at least from the four featured of Sasuke, Naruto Sarada and Boruto... well obviously we're going to get something from at least 2-3 of them but you know which one I want to do something here. ..

Neo Ultra Mike

Here are my thoughts on Boruto Chapter 6.

I've complained about a lot how a general problem I have with Shonen manga is that there's an emphasis of the main hero sometimes over taking not just the plot or the point of the direness of the situation but also of a lot of the cast in general. Because we have to see things so much from their perspective a lot of interesting or intriguing or even moments that could of been cool feel like they were cut out. Apparenlty HInata actually did try striking back at the villains taking Naruto but we never see that since the focus is much on Boruto. And we also aren't really going to get much from Mitsuki or Sarada I guess as it seems like they aren't going on this mission to save Naruto which will just be Sasuke, the other Kage and Boruto. Heck most of the after math in general seems to be skipped in favor of just focusing on what Boruto's feeling about this entire thing which is honestly very frustrating. I guess this makes even more sense to do though if this was adapated from a movie where it makes more sense to focus on the main character but honestly it does feel very small and limited and honestly less like I'm reading a story and more like I'm reading someone just building up one person over and over again. How much of this chapter is put on "you can be better then your father Boruto. You have to get over yourself and realize your potential" and that sort of talk? Feels like at least half of it from either Sasuke talking or even silent pages of just Boruto trying to find his resolve. And quite honestly that doesn't work for me especially as even if Boruto is more likeable now and realizing how much better off he has it... I sitll don't care that much for him as a character. Again Sarada's struggles were actually interseting and even Mitsuki I could get behind but not this guy. And I especially find it annoying how this is going to be a rescue Naruto arc which.. okay I know rescue arcs are a thing especially with Naruto and I guess it's nice for Sasuke to be leading the charge to get his rival back instead of the other way around but... really I thought the whole point of the next generation was to find newer and different problems and ideals to tackle. Again last chapter brought up good points about using tools or devices to help you cheat as a parallel that wasn't explored much in Naruto itself. We definitely explored rescue arcs over and over again in Naruto and building up the main character and their legacy so seeing it here isn't very inspiring.

I did like the other Kages wanting to help out and the idea Naruto could of taken the villains if he blasted the attack back but that doing more damage so he had to take it but... that's pretty much it. Honestly I really hope at some point we stop either focusing on stuff from the movie about Boruto or focus on others of the newer generation then Boruto as even this big push with his character isn't very interseting or engaging at all. It looks nice but... that's really all it's got going for it and the fact this was a super long monthly chapter but felt like at most the content of a standard chapter wasn't doing this one any favors either. Probably overall the weakest in terms of this series so far. Maybe not in terms of being into the main character but in terms of what I got out of overall reading the entire thing.

Neo Ultra Mike

Here are my thoughts on Boruto Chapter 7

I have to admit I'm a big fan of team up battles where you know you actually have the teams working together to take down an opponent so that stuff was actually really good. Especially Kurotschui and Chojoro team work where Chorojoro got cornered by one guy only for Kurostuchi to appear and she punched him around and then he got Sasuke lightning blasted and then trapped by their two jutsus. Plus liked how Gaara and Darui were working together with sand drops and about to swordsman clash. All that stuff was solid. The stuff with Naruto and Boruto reconnecting was lame and honestly this whole part feels really rushed. Like I get them wanting to go save Naruto ASAP but for having spent so much time on the recovery last chapter for this one to cut straight to action feels jarring. Like we needed to cut down on that and if they wanted down time speaking between the Kage as they were going to rescue Naruto. Also the apperance of the guy transformed at the end isn't anything special and still feels like they're trying too hard to keep constantly hammering in the message of "these guys are cheating kind of like how Boruto is with how they do their jutsus" with how one transformed by eating the spirit of the other. Still not a bad chapter as it was mostly action and that was good but nothing really that interesting in this one really.

Neo Ultra Mike

Here are my thoughts on Boruto Chapter 8.

This is like the latest Fairy Tail chapter: most of it is actually really good but the ending comes and screws everything up. Except instead of a "I am Erza so everything ends up coming down to me making friendship speeches" this time it's when we see Katasuke come in with his stupid magical ninja magic which just makes the situation worse which is just one of those horrible cliches I hate. Even in stuff that's suppose to be more a pure comedy like Dexter's Laboratory in that episode "Last But Not Beast" when Dexter's Family formed the giant robot and were doing fine fighting the monster but then Mandark came in with his sutpid invention which the monster just fed off and made it much stronger and dangerous. Same crap here but again at least Dexter's Laboratory is suppose to be more goofy and that whole thing was a joke. This was played off for an excuse to have a serious moment from Boruto who I still can't get behind. And did Sasuke seriously tell him "yeah just in case we all get screwed over you have to step up to save the day?" What exactly is this runt who has to cheat to be impressive really do against the villain exactly? I'm not saying that because I really want to know I'm just asking in a way that is figuring something out that wouldn't be some bull crap ex machina. Honestly the other 30 pages were actually some really good action. I don't even know who the name of this villain is (something I never wrote down in previous reviews either so I clearly haven't cared the last year about this so I guess why start now) but his actual beat down of the Kages actually was pretty impressive and again I like how most of it was silent pages or more just quick attacks and being knocked around. I guess this makes sense as this was adapated from a movie who likely wouldn't have such continious bull crap talk but still appreciated. I honestly liked the battle he had with Naruto and Sasuke a lot too and I have to admit the combined Suasanno spirit 9 tails giant beast form was wicked cool and seeing it cut that guy in half like that was satisfying as was Kurotsochi "kill it with a super move and be done with him" attitude. But again this was ruined by that stupid stupid ending. Stupid Katasuke, stupid trying to give Boruto time to shine (looking back a couple of months ago I tried giving him more of a chance but yeah that didn't last too long did it) and stupid way to end all this. I'm guessing if this is Boruto's crowning moment we're ending this part soon and moving on probably past the movie into hopefully more interesting arcs as yeah this was pretty weak sauce. I guess not the weakest of sauces but man what a solid 30 something aciton pages ruined by what came after. And unlike Fairy Tail where I could at least separate the ending I didn't like as pointless fluff that didn't ruin what came before it, this is still a part of the story so yeah works more against it honestly.

Neo Ultra Mike

Thoughts on Boruto chapter 9

This one is pretty much "Boruto gets a huge chakra boost from Naruto to use his new disappearing Rasengan which is the only move that seemingly can take out Momoshiki and defeats him." I have a feeling that in the movie this looks way more impressive then what's being drawn down for it here as this seems like one of those things far more impressive in movement. But eh for action destruction of a villain it honestly works and I admit I do like seeing the various Rasengans being made throughout the years and Boruto putting his own spin on it as well as how they managed to trick Momoshiki into hitting him with it. That's pretty much it though an action climax. But again I still don't like Boruto especially as they keep hammering in how he's different yet not so much from Naruto which again doesn't make him that appealing a character. Sarada had a much better arc where we really felt like getting and understanding her while this just wasn't that appealing. Still the ending fight was decent even if I don't just like shots of people just giving out exposition or standing there shocked but... shonen trope stuff blah blah blah. Still decent climax to all of this as I guess next month we're finally going to move on to either wrap up or a different arc then just adapating the Boruto movie so hoping for more from other characters then what we got here.

Neo Ultra Mike

Thoughts on Boruto Chapter 10

There were parts of this I liked. I actually do like Boruto getting this warning from Momoshinki as a spirit that once you kill a god you stop being ordinary. And again still half and half on Boruto himself but I do like him wanting to not grow up to be Hokage and walk a different path and be someone like Sasuke. I also liked the bits we got with Shinki wanting to go on his own ninja way and Shikadi's team but... other parts did annoy me. I get Sasuke and Naruto should still have a rivarly but to still act like how they were before instead of more adult about it did feel annoyingly off. Plus I don't get Kankuro being afraid of Shinki as what exactly does that kid have besides just being the son of Gaara who was mostly scary because of having the one tailed demon in him? Also I don't like Sarada developing a super crush on Boruto. Seriously Sarada you better not just become the love sick emotional fool support like your mother did. You're working to become Hokage and walk your own path so grow from that and don't rely on Boruto and be so super shy about it as that's kind of annoying and backwards from how Kishimoto was trying to progress you in your own series only like two years ago.

Still not a bad chapter and hey now that we're apparently going to be dealing with non movie stuff hopefully the story will be better and focus more on the supporting characters not just on Boruto's angst who I am glad is trying to not just be a Naruto clone even if he still acts half like that and half still really face punchable but again hoping for better story progress from now on.

Neo Ultra Mike

Chapter 11 of Boruto is out so here are my thoughts on it.

Okay the first 10 chapters of this story were all about dealing with the movie but now we've finally got our first post movie episode dealing with the adventures that actually relate to this manga. Which will eventually tie into the opening of the first chapter with missing nin Boruto fighting that guy who supposedly killed Naruto but.... yeah we may be a way off from that if we're just dealing with a sort of well known criminal from the bingo books and this Tentou kid who is pretty much Remy Buxaplenty from Fairy Oddparents: Has parental angst but solves it by throwing tons of money at the problem and buys out things and feels he can act snooty to everyone. I guess since Boruto also still has his issues and annoyances maybe that's a way to make the son of Naruto look better: hey check out much more annoying this kid is compared to Naruto. Though that reminds me of that obnoxious kid and parent in the third Naruto movie and how much that sucked and man I don't want a repeat of the 'oh these guys are obnoxious but if Boruto really talks back to them he's going to get punished wah wahhhhhhhh". because yeah I can't think of anyone who would want that.

That said most of the chapter was good. I like it being Bortuo and Sasuke who are dealing with that leftover Momoshinki stop time ghost spirit still in Boruto and trying to figure out when that will come into play again. I really liked the actual mission the team went into especially seeing Sarada be a bad ass again and kick the crap out of two of those bingo book guy followers (until he does something specifically why bother remembering his name) as she actually got to look really cool pounding one around and asking where the boss is. I guess she had to be saved by Boruto but I like her playing it off as just wanting to be dramatic but still thanking him and Boruto screwing up the mission by not allowing them to tail the boss due to him not paying attention. Seems like something Sakura would of scolded Naruto for but Sakura also would of been totally useless in the original 3 man team and just been all ragey tsundare while Sarada feels more legit in being kind of ticked off but doesn't overreact to it as much. I guess she is still sort of following Boruto looking down on men outloud but eh it's not annoying here and I like that moment between her and Mitsuki. And the actual jokes here like Miri being asked by Shikamaru if she had a light for him to smoke or Boruto and friends looking to get cards and Boruto only getting super rares of his dad and not the card he wanted was good stuff. I guess I'm looking forward to this arc more if we are getting original content and can expand the characters more since we're not limited to a movie having to focus just on Boruto's struggles but will with aution due again to that Tetou brat. Maybe he'll wind up actually being enjoyable or going through decent development but he looks like one of those "oh man won't it be so good when you're taken down a peg only" sort of people.

Neo Ultra Mike

Here are my thoughts on Boruto Chapter 12.

You know last time I was complaining about how Tentou just reminded me of an annoying rich kid stereotype and felt like someone just there to be taken down a peg but surprisingly we actually did get development and emotion from the kid and have a reason for him to actually bond with Boruto. Seems like Tentou also has "daddy doesn't pay much attention to me" issues but solves his just by trying to pay for things and wants to be more of a ninja to get his father's attention and Boruto realizing they have that in common and helping train him in the art of shurkien throwing (heh too bad Shuriken usually doesn't wind up helping in an actual battle. Just ask TenTen about that) and the two actually becoming friends. This is a lot like the Naruto/Konohoamuru connection of "even smaller kid bonding with our main lead who you think is a brat but has this thing in common with our hero and the two becoming friends over it" but honestly I think this works better then that as Boruto though joking with him at first with the sexy harem actually feels like he's trying to teach him important stuff and Tentou actually coming around rather quick with the "i'm going to stob my snobbery". And the fact this was actually a quiet chapter just focused on that. Yeah there's the whole "boss of those bingo book ninjas took over as the care taker oh no he's up to something" ending but otherwise this is just a chapter of the two bonding and getting along and I admit I don't have a problem with that. It's not too funny or action pack but the actual character development and bonding was nice and actually gets me to like Boruto better and since he is the lead here guess we need that and using the whole card thing as a goal more for him ties into the last chapter well too. So solid just character talk chapter here which I wasn't expecting but glad we got.

Neo Ultra Mike

Boruto Chapter 13 is out so here are my thoughts on it.

Honestly this is still a good chapter in this pretty simple arc. Tentou gets kidnapped by this guy who wants to hold him hostage and no one else seemingly really knows and can do anything about it except Boruto who takes it upon himself to save the kid. And I do like the reason why Boruto knew and honestly though part of it seems a bit in your face I think the actual comparisons with the ninja cards and who is on them and how useful they are in comparison to actual Tentou's situation works and I do like Tentou not just wanting to be a hostage pawn even if the only thing he can do is threaten to off himself and Boruto saving him at the last minute. Standard but if you like and get the characters that's fine as I'm not expecting a master piece off the bat. Hell this honestly works better then Konohomaru actually really building up more just how the two have this relationship and where to go from here.

I think my main problem with this though is something I've said before: I know this is called Boruto but I wish we had more a focus on the other characters. Since honestly the bits we had of the main team were good. I like Konohamaru having this super messy office and offering the team a B mission and Sarada determined to ace it due to her dream of wanting to be Hokage and even the moment she shared with Boruto understanding why he wouldn't be there. And... I still wish there wasn't so much of her character focused on crushing on Boruto but again at least she isn't annoying about it or anything. But I have a feeling we won't really see her and Mitsuki on this mission or just hear about it and not see any of them and honestly I don't want that. I want to see the adventures of the team and of the group and not just the lead kid. I get that Naruto had a problem with that as well but that should be something this series should try and fix not just double down on. Otherwise fine chapter. Don't know how long this arc is going to go on for but still liking it more then I thought even if again wish there were focus on other things then just Boruto and Tentou or knowing at least we will get a focus on those other things.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I hate Sarada's clothes, whoever designed that should be burned

Neo Ultra Mike

Thoughts on Chapter 14 of Boruto.

I think the main villain of this "arc" was Shojojo so that's what I'm calling him. Anyway this is pretty much just a big huge fight chapter and... you know it may be the son of the title hero vs this fat pig that only really lasted a chapter but I have to say this is one of the best fights of the entire series. Seriously a lot of Naruto battles always had a problem of being too long and "let me tell you exactly how my powers work" and having all these long drawn out back and forths with people expositoning or a lot of just confusing action or super magic eyeball powers that made it hard to care or get into. But this was simple enough: Boruto smashes in the four guards but Shoujo is a lot tougher and can't just be knocked around easily and when Boruto tries bringing ou the shuriken and Rasengan turns out he's got a super power defense barrier ability that yeah he blabs about but in a "ha you can't hit me and I know what your powers and can just take it" which we see as he decimates the four shadow clones even one trying to hit him as he grabbed the real Boruto but gets distracted by Tentou throwing a shuriken at him (man Tenten's going to be pissed when it's this kid who is the first to show the value of Shurkien) allowing Boruto to escape the guy's grip and give him a powerful Rasengan to the back to finish him off. Just a really cool solid way to end this fight. Heck even Boruto with his "you just hire weaklings to guard you?" after easily tearing through the guy or actually trying to straegize how to beat Shoujuojo and his "looks like you misjudged the power of our teamwork" again really amped him as a character and again Tentou actually contributing to the fight was great. It took till... what Shippuden for Konohamaru to actually do something worthy in this series? Took this guy like 5 chapters and again really worked with how this was set up. Again it's nothing extradionary or anything but this is just a really good fight I really got into and if these are the kind of stories and action this series have even if it's too Boruto focused I can dig it. Just really good stuff here honestly that pumped me up in a weird way more then the latest OP chapter. Maybe it's not as grand but the action and flow is more then we've hoenstly even seen from OP in awhile so I have to give this series those props at least.

Neo Ultra Mike

Chapter 15 of Boruto is out and here are my thoughts on it.

I do feel like a one trick record saying this over and over but I do wish we got more of the world and of our supporting cast and not have everything try to connect back to Boruto. And I get that you need a focus on a lead and to see what they can do but honestly I just much prefer teamwork kind of stories and honestly too much focus can make it feel like a restriction then a benefit. I get that a lot from Steven Universe and yeah the original Naruto had that too. Speaking of the original Naruto I wonder how this would really do on it's own as a story because if you were to remove the connection from the previous generation... this feels like an overly simple and straight forward kind of series without too many super interesting bits. Some mark on Boruto connects to some super mysterious new villain group we're just hearing of now called Kara and they have this meeting with all of them in hoods which... feels like tropes even shonen manga kind of moved away from like a decade ago. I mean yeah the original Naruto had some of that as well but the original Naruto came out at a time when that made sense while... stuff like Kara feels like a major throwback. Which may be the attention but I don't have a feeling this would be especially popular or known if it didn't have a brand behind it. I have to admit it also feels weird to have so much resolution and wrap up about this little Tentou arc. I'm sure we'll see the kid again and I do appreciate the character moments but this sort of wrap up feels not even late Naruto but early Naruto which may be the intention but again weird to see for a series now.

I"m harping a lot on some things but I do honestly like most of this chapter. I really do appreciate seeing Sarada and Mitsuki come and save Boruto especially Sarada leg chopping down on Shojojo's neck. Again I am so glad this is not just Sakura 2.0 in terms of being so useless and we do get to see more of her being cool and do like the two of them coming and demanding stuff from Boruto for saving them and then him later saying he'll take the punishment for the team and Konomharu saying the entire team has judgement passed on them for their actions but being lienent when Tentou's dad came in all blubbering or even Sarada deciding to try the card game and being surprised on Mitsuki's dad being Orochimaru. It just feels like we are slowly but steadily seeming them bond more as a team which I wish the focus of this series was more on. Like actually give us the drama of all parts of the new Team 7 not just "oh let's have all the attention focused on Boruto and this mark on his arm." But again a fair chunk was on the team and that was good and this wrap up did feel satisfying so... solid chapter. Last month did have a better fight which could of been fine resolution but this was good too honestly and hope we actually do get more of the team fighting in the months to come of this series.

Neo Ultra Mike

Thoughts on Boruto Chapter 16

A third of this chapter was dedicated to the Kara meeting which may be the first major scene in this series without Boruto really involved at all which you know should be good but it's lame. There's a lot of vague talk for seemingly the sake of vaguness ("the target" isn't as lame a line as "that jutsu" but it's up there in this scenario) of this plan and... there are a couple of characters named but we've just met these guys so we have no idea what they're personality is and what they're like and they don't really make a strong impression here. IMHO if you are introducing a villain group you either need to have someone familiar there to have a focus on or some actual strong or unique personalities to bounce off of. Even if you didn't know Hidan and Kazaku in Naruto Shippiuden for instance at least they had a unique dynamic to bounce off of. Here... I got none of that from this group so seeing them talk about one another and even have one guy take out the old lame and talk about Konoha doesn't really mean anything. Just again feels like we're trying to build up these guys but you've got really nothing to build up and yeah Shippuden at least waited until we knew something about that Atasuki and saw some of them before having a group meeting but we didn't get that with Kara so these guys are a lot of nothing. I do like the battle between Naruto and Boruto especially Naruto sticking his artifical hand in to absorb the jutsu to come behind Boruto and kick him. Reminds me "oh yeah Naruto does still technically only have one actual arm that wasn't something that was just regrown" in a nice way and I like having this friendly match to show off more of the artificial jutsu. Too bad the ending is again focused on trying to build up the villain again and yeah still do not care about that so... that part is lame. A decent practice battle means this isn't a waste but this is not the way Kara should of been built up since at least for me it makes them feel wannabe threatening and tough not actually there. Boruto I noticed as a series does have the attitude of "here is someone trying to do their own version of Naruto but not having the same exact spirit of the original" but there's usually some heart or earnesty that works. Stuff like the opening though doesn't and make the build up of these guys lesser then more honestly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts