Boomerang (US) News & Discussion II: Rebrand

This was just released by a worker at Discovery/Warner Bros. January 31st 2022 will be the last day to watch boomerangs linear cable TV channel. This is happening due to the discovery and Warner bros merger, one insider said. They are trying to cut costs and they see no need to have 2 animated cable networks. Cartoon Networks 30th celebration turned out to be a huge success so Cartoon Network plans on having a daily classics block starting sometime in 2023. Also Adult Swims time will be changing sometime in 2023. Adult Swim will be gaining the 6am slot playing PG rated shows and Cartoon Network will be gaining the 8pm and 9pm hour so they will be able to keep the diverse lineup from the morning pre school block to the Cartoon Network block and the throwbacks block. I personally don’t know how I feel about losing boomerang but if it means classic shows get prime time television air time again then I guess this is a good thing?

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
This was just released by a worker at Discovery/Warner Bros. January 31st 2022 will be the last day to watch boomerangs linear cable TV channel. This is happening due to the discovery and Warner bros merger, one insider said. They are trying to cut costs and they see no need to have 2 animated cable networks. Cartoon Networks 30th celebration turned out to be a huge success so Cartoon Network plans on having a daily classics block starting sometime in 2023. Also Adult Swims time will be changing sometime in 2023. Adult Swim will be gaining the 6am slot playing PG rated shows and Cartoon Network will be gaining the 8pm and 9pm hour so they will be able to keep the diverse lineup from the morning pre school block to the Cartoon Network block and the throwbacks block. I personally don’t know how I feel about losing boomerang but if it means classic shows get prime time television air time again then I guess this is a good thing?
Is there a source for any of this?

Moe

We are already past the January 31st, 2022. Do you means 2023?

It would be helpful if you share a press releases from WBD and resolve the trust issue between you and members in here.

Garfield and Friends have been removed from Boomerang streaming services at unknown date last month.
Oh wow, Tubi hasn't add 1st to 3rd seasons and few episodes of 4th season yet.

What Scooby-Doo cartoons are airing as part of Scoobtober this year?
Tune to Boomerang channel to find out.

I have no access to Boomerang because I'm on YouTube TV.

I believe that @JMTV may know and able to answer your question.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Guys, we should take this "news" with a HUGE grain of salt. I'm noticing quite a number of holes in this:

First, it's Warner Bros. Discovery, not "Discovery/Warner Bros".

Second, the projected last day of the Boomerang channel is listed as January 31st, 2022, which is already past. It's possible that the date was meant to be January 31, 2023, and that this was merely a typo, but still...

Third, Cartoon Network's 30th anniversary celebration was today, so how could the execs know that the celebration was a huge success so soon?

Fourth, this "news" was supposedly released by "a worker at Discovery/Warner Bros.", which as previously stated isn't the studio's correct name. This "worker" doesn't apparently have a name, nor is his/her specific position within the company ever given. This could just be the copy boy, for all we know, assuming that this even a real person. It's possible that this "worker" chooses to remain anonymous, but if that's the case, then why reveal this to public at all?

Fifth, Boomerang (the channel)'s last day is supposedly the 31st of January. That's only 3 months from now. If the Boomerang the channel was really going off the air that soon, wouldn't WBD have made some formal announcement about it by now?

Sixth, "the preschool block" has a name. It's Cartoonito. Kind of funny how someone who works for Cartoon Network and knows all of it's upcoming plans doesn't know the name of one of the channel's programming blocks.

Finally, no official source (or source of any kind at all) is listed, nor is there a link provided to an official source. What's more, I searched for this particular headline, and nothing came up. So please, everyone, don't get over excited about any of this until it can be proven as fact.

Last edited:

Dynamite Soldier

I find that all BS. Unless you have a reliable source with all that info, you are just spreading misinformation.

Even still, why would they shut down Boomerang so soon? It (surprisingly) still brings in decent ratings thanks to endless LT and T&J reruns, not to mention its ad revenue. At least the channel is in a somewhat better position than say, TeenNick or Universal Kids.

Also, why the heck would Adult Swim take the 6am hour? That's around the time most of the target audience is awake getting ready for school.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Taking this info with a grain of salt

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I was going to break down all the reasons why this "news" has more holes in it than a pound of Swiss cheese, but several of my fellow posters have already done so, so rather than dogpile, I'll just (once again) remind everyone of the Internet Rule of Thumb:

No source + No link = FAKE.

Unless we hear this from a reliable (and traceable) source (and no, someone's DeviantArt page or a thread in another message board are not reliable sources) then it's a rumor (or a fabrication), not a report.

Last edited:

Moe

WBD would have until between October 31 to November 1 to notify the MVPD about closure of Boomerang, so it would be on news. If there is no news after November 1, Boomerang isn't going to close on January 31, 2023.

Amazon was plan to close MGM HD with notification was 30 days away, then cancelled the plan to close because of not enough days that is required for MVPD to be notified. MGM HD deleted one of their FB post contain closure information.

It would be ironic to see Boomerang closes before Discovery Family, and Turner and Discovery didn't take closure of channel lightly, unlike NBCUniversal closed Sleuth/Cloo, Chiller, Esquire, NBCSN and Olympic Channel.

I absolutely hate to see someone spread the misinformation in this forum and we received unreliable news about closure of Disney channels that turned out to be untrue.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Guys, we should take this "news" with a HUGE grain of salt. I'm noticing quite a number of holes in this:

First, it's Warner Bros. Discovery, not "Discovery/Warner Bros".

Second, the projected last day of the Boomerang channel is listed as January 31st, 2022, which is already past. It's possible that the date was meant to be January 31, 2023, and that this was merely a typo, but still...

Third, Cartoon Network's 30th anniversary celebration was today, so how could the execs know that the celebration was a huge success so soon?

Fourth, this "news" was supposedly released by "a worker at Discovery/Warner Bros.", which as previously stated isn't the studio's correct name. This "worker" doesn't apparently have a name, nor is his/her specific position within the company ever given. This could just be the copy boy, for all we know, assuming that this even a real person. It's possible that this "worker" chooses to remain anonymous, but if that's the case, then why reveal this to public at all?

Fifth, Boomerang (the channel)'s last day is supposedly the 31st of January. That's only 3 months from now. If the Boomerang the channel was really going off the air that soon, wouldn't WBD have made some formal announcement about it by now?

Sixth, "the preschool block" has a name. It's Cartoonito. Kind of funny how someone who works for Cartoon Network and knows all of it's upcoming plans doesn't know the name of one of the channel's programming blocks.

Finally, no official source (or source of any kind at all) is listed, nor is there a link provided to an official source. What's more, I searched for this particular headline, and nothing came up. So please, everyone, don't get over excited about any of this until it can be proven as fact.
While I do agree with all your points, I can also understand the other point of view and am open to this scenario. Just for context, overseas Boomerang feeds will be rebranding into Cartoonito eventually, so Boomerang being ditched altogether in the US doesn't sound unrealistic. Also, while you are rightfully expecting some announcement, there were many instances over the years in the industry when changes were literally overnight or with just a week heads up - especially overseas with smaller channels. It's not unheard of. Sometimes there is even no info at all. I believe the 2022 to be a typo and preschool block/company name... You'd be surprised how many people in their field have their head up and don't know or don't consider certain things important. As for being anonymous, there are many anons reavealing things all the time. Obviously they don't want to get into trouble being tracked. And the ratings, they might see just the first day, but remember the celebration started last month, so they could have monitored ratings then and also social media. Last but not least, some feeds do carry a CN Classics block. So all in all, let's wait and see. There's a chance it will happen.

Toonhead2002Ultra

Yeah to me this doesn't really seem likely at all. However I wouldn't necessarily hate Boomerang being shut down if some of its franchises like Looney Tunes get moved back to Cartoon Network, and I'd love it if Adult Swim moved its start time back to 10pm. Don't know why they'd take 6am though. Also I'd have a classics block air on Saturday nights. The weekdays have Cartoonito and Sundays have Acme Night so I feel it's only fair that Saturdays have a little something something in terms of a block as well.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Bringing this up again...

The Boomerang channel launched in 2000. It seems to me that if Warner Bros. Discovery were planning to shut Boomerang down at the end of January after being on the air for 22 years, it would make the news. This (in addition to the other reasons that I mentioned previously) is why I don't believe any of this is real until we hear or read something from WBD officially.

Having said that, I'd be OK with the Boomerang channel going back to being a program block on Cartoon Network. The only problem with that would be time; presently, Cartoon Network is only CN for 6 hours per day. As it is, there's not enough room on Cartoon Network's daily schedule for another programming block unless either Cartoonito or Adult Swim were to be reduced by a couple of hours. There's no reason for Adult Swim to get 6AM. That'd be preposterous, since 6AM is when kids are waking up and getting ready to go to school. However, I'm completely down with AS starting at 9PM or 10PM, but not 8PM. If we're going to have more CN hours, 8PM should be used for premieres. Perhaps there could be an hour of original CN shows at 8PM and then an hour of Boomerang at 9PM before AS starts at 10PM. I would suggest that AS start at 11PM so that the Boomerang block could be 2 hours long, but I don't think that WB would want AS to start that late. Or else, have Boomerang air on weekends between 12PM and 5PM. non-peak viewing hours, basically.

Last edited:

Toonhead2002Ultra

Bringing this up again...

The Boomerang channel launched in 2000. It seems to me that if Warner Bros. Discovery were planning to shut Boomerang down at the end of January after being on the air for 22 years, it would make the news. This (in addition to the other reasons that I mentioned previously) is why I don't believe any of this is real until we hear or read something from WBD officially.

Having said that, I'd be OK with the Boomerang channel going back to being a program block on Cartoon Network. The only problem with that would be time; presently, Cartoon Network is only CN for 6 hours per day. As it is, there's not enough room on Cartoon Network's daily schedule for another programming block unless either Cartoonito or Adult Swim were to be reduced by a couple of hours. There's no reason for Adult Swim to get 6AM. That'd be preposterous, since 6AM is when kids are waking up and getting ready to go to school. However, I'm completely down with AS starting at 9PM or 10PM, but not 8PM. If we're going to have more CN hours, 8PM should be used for premieres. Perhaps there could be an hour of original CN shows at 8PM and then an hour of Boomerang at 9PM before AS starts at 10PM. I would suggest that AS start at 11PM so that the Boomerang block could be 2 hours long, but I don't think that WB would want AS to start that late. Or else, have Boomerang air on weekends between 12PM and 5PM. non-peak viewing hours, basically.
Actually nowadays CN proper has 11 hours on weekdays, Cartoonito ditched 11am to 2pm and most recently the 6am hour, along with CN taking 8pm from AS for the time being. In this scenario I'd think the classics block would air from 8 to 10pm, replacing what used to be Adult Swim airtime. Also, unfortunately I could totally see Zaslav or one of the other people he brought from Discovery deciding to announce Boomerang's shut down at like the last minute possible if the day were to ever come. Heck, they might even close it with no warning at all in this scenario given their other crappy business decisions. Lastly, while Nick @ Nite generally has the 6am hour nowadays, Adult Swim is much more mature than it, so I agree that them taking the 6am hour even for shows like Brak, Space Ghost, KOTH, or Home Movies would be incredibly bizarre.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Actually nowadays CN proper has 11 hours on weekdays, Cartoonito ditched 11am to 2pm and most recently the 6am hour, along with CN taking 8pm from AS for the time being. In this scenario I'd think the classics block would air from 8 to 10pm, replacing what used to be Adult Swim airtime.

Yeah, I could see that.
Also, unfortunately I could totally see Zaslav or one of the other people he brought from Discovery deciding to announce Boomerang's shut down at like the last minute possible if the day were to ever come. Heck, they might even close it with no warning at all in this scenario given their other crappy business decisions.

I don't know. I may be giving Zaslav too much credit (I don't want to give him any at all), but I don't think even he'd flat-out shut Boomerang down; he's a TV guy first and foremost, plus Boomerang still earns decent ad revenue. I think a more likely scenario would be if he were to consolidate Boomerang with one of their other existing kids' channels like merging it with Discovery Family or Goldstar's idea or reducing it to a block on Cartoon Network. But Discovery has a ton of 'junk' channels that exist solely for ad revenue, so I easily see him leaving Boomerang alone just for the revenue.
Lastly, while Nick @ Nite generally has the 6am hour nowadays, Adult Swim is much more mature than it, so I agree that them taking the 6am hour even for shows like Brak, Space Ghost, KOTH, or Home Movies would be incredibly bizarre.
Yeah, I think we can all agree that this is highly improbable.

Last edited:

Toonhead2002Ultra

Yeah, I could see that.

I don't know. I may be giving Zaslav too much credit (I don't want to give him any at all), but I don't think even he'd flat-out shut Boomerang down; he's a TV guy first and foremost, plus Boomerang still earns decent ad revenue. I think a more likely scenario would be if he were to consolidate Boomerang with one of their other existing kids' channels like merging it with Discovery Family or Goldstar's idea or reducing it to a block on Cartoon Network. But Discovery has a tone of 'junk' channels that exist solely for ad revenue, so I easily see him leaving Boomerang alone just for the revenue.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that this is highly improbable.
I love how my post forced you to give ol' Zaslav some sort of credit lol.:p But you do make some good points. I really dislike Zaslav too just to make it clear.

Update on what I posted earlier. Boomerang will be shutting down on January 31st 2023 not January 31st 2022. January 31st 2023 will be the last day to watch boomerangs linear cable TV channel in the USA. This is happening due to the discovery and Warner bros merger multiple workers have confirmed now. No official statement can be made to public until January 1st 2023 due to contract negotiations and agreements with cable and satellite companies. Again they are trying to cut costs and they see no need to have 2 animated cable networks. Cartoon Networks 30th celebration turned out to be a huge success based off the month of September not October 1sts celebration. So Cartoon Network plans on having a daily classics block starting sometime in 2023. Also Adult Swims time will be changing sometime in 2023. Adult Swim will be gaining the 6am slot playing PG rated shows or lower that will be a mix of Cartoon Network shows and Adult Swim shows. These shows will air with the adult swim logo even though they may be Cartoon Network shows. Think of it how SpongeBob sometimes airs at Nick at Nite. These shows will not be rated anymore then PG. This 6am hour may bring back some live action CN shows that are rated PG. Some example shows that are on an unofficial list include Adventure Time, Regular Show, Tower Prep, Sin Bionic Titan, Generator Rex, Total Drama, Mad, Out of Jimmy’s Head, Samurai Jack, The Problem Solverz, and The Brak Show. As you can see not all of these shows are rated PG and some of these shows Cartoon Network have even written off for tax purposes or do not have the full rights to anymore but they still made the list somehow. I expect this list to change drastically over time. Cartoon Network will be gaining the 8pm and 9pm hour so they will be able to keep the diverse lineup from the morning pre school block to the Cartoon Network block and the throwbacks block. The throwbacks block will run Monday through Thursday from 8pm-10pm and Fridays will be focused on a special event or show etc… Saturdays will focus on a Movie and Sunday will still be Acme night and left unchanged. The throwback block has an unofficial name at the moment called Throwbacks from Cartoon Network with Throwbacks written in a classic style font and Cartoon Network being the old checkerboard style. That logo for the block is unofficial but so far looks very good. The checkerboard logo for it is not the newly designed one it is actually the original one from the 1990s. If I gain any more information I will be sure to post it here as soon as I know about it.

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
Update on what I posted earlier. Boomerang will be shutting down on January 31st 2023 not January 31st 2022. January 31st 2023 will be the last day to watch boomerangs linear cable TV channel in the USA. This is happening due to the discovery and Warner bros merger multiple workers have confirmed now. No official statement can be made to public until January 1st 2023 due to contract negotiations and agreements with cable and satellite companies. Again they are trying to cut costs and they see no need to have 2 animated cable networks. Cartoon Networks 30th celebration turned out to be a huge success based off the month of September not October 1sts celebration. So Cartoon Network plans on having a daily classics block starting sometime in 2023. Also Adult Swims time will be changing sometime in 2023. Adult Swim will be gaining the 6am slot playing PG rated shows or lower that will be a mix of Cartoon Network shows and Adult Swim shows. These shows will air with the adult swim logo even though they may be Cartoon Network shows. Think of it how SpongeBob sometimes airs at Nick at Nite. These shows will not be rated anymore then PG. This 6am hour may bring back some live action CN shows that are rated PG. Some example shows that are on an unofficial list include Adventure Time, Regular Show, Tower Prep, Sin Bionic Titan, Generator Rex, Total Drama, Mad, Out of Jimmy’s Head, Samurai Jack, The Problem Solverz, and The Brak Show. As you can see not all of these shows are rated PG and some of these shows Cartoon Network have even written off for tax purposes or do not have the full rights to anymore but they still made the list somehow. I expect this list to change drastically over time. Cartoon Network will be gaining the 8pm and 9pm hour so they will be able to keep the diverse lineup from the morning pre school block to the Cartoon Network block and the throwbacks block. The throwbacks block will run Monday through Thursday from 8pm-10pm and Fridays will be focused on a special event or show etc… Saturdays will focus on a Movie and Sunday will still be Acme night and left unchanged. The throwback block has an unofficial name at the moment called Throwbacks from Cartoon Network with Throwbacks written in a classic style font and Cartoon Network being the old checkerboard style. That logo for the block is unofficial but so far looks very good. The checkerboard logo for it is not the newly designed one it is actually the original one from the 1990s. If I gain any more information I will be sure to post it here as soon as I know about it.
Please stop posting misinformation!

Please stop posting misinformation!
It’s not misinformation I’m a janitor at Warner Bros Discovery and talk to workers everyday how they are unhappy with the way things are going. I can post so much more but it has nothing to do with boomerang so I just keep quite. My kids actually enjoy boomerang so this is why I posted what I did. All this other stuff I know that most don’t know about I don’t post about because it doesn’t affect me or my family and I don’t care enough to write a paragraph about it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts