Boomerang (US) News & Discussion II: Rebrand

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
The bumpers are much like the Latin American version, except the background is black instead of white and there's no intro bumper. Additionally, the "Next" bumpers announce the movie title, not the block, with a clip from the movie instead of the 3D glasses graphic.

If it wasn't for the announcer referring to "Boomerang Theater" in the bumpers, I would be convinced it's called something else.

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
Also today, I noticed the new Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo promos were cropped to remove the black bars, with some of the scenes modified. Seems a bit disrespectful to Michael Kohler, who produced the remix-style promos, but I won't judge. I guess it had to be done for some reason.

BlooMac

Also today, I noticed the new Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo promos were cropped to remove the black bars, with some of the scenes modified. Seems a bit disrespectful to Michael Kohler, who produced the remix-style promos, but I won't judge. I guess it had to be done for some reason.
I guess it's because Boomerang still broadcasts in 4:3 and with the promos being letterboxed, the scenes were windowboxed, which didn't look very appealing. I'm surprised they even used black bars in the promos, so far only Toonami has done that for Dragonball Z Kai and the HD version of Cowboy Bebop.

mqg96

Has Boomerang gone HD in the U.S. yet? I have Charter cable and for some reason it's still in the same standard definition 4:3 quality, and I can't find the HD version of Boomerang if there has been one yet. I know some other countries has had Boomerang HD for a long time, and they had several different Boomerang rebrands long before our first one just happened anyway.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Boomerang will probably need to get some more sponsors and increased viewership before it gets an High Definition feed. The channel just re-branded on Monday. We may get Boom in HD somewhere down the line, but it's not going to happen overnight.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I guess it's because Boomerang still broadcasts in 4:3 and with the promos being letterboxed, the scenes were windowboxed, which didn't look very appealing. I'm surprised they even used black bars in the promos, so far only Toonami has done that for Dragonball Z Kai and the HD version of Cowboy Bebop.
BM HQ has some 4:3 promos on their Facebook page, though I suspected that the channel would go 16:9 when it would rebrand.
Over here, CN PT airs older shows letterboxed, as it's a widescreen channel since day one.

Pac-Attack

I sat through Grojband and I can confirm Boomerang has a New Episode bug, it's the same as how the other countries look. But I find it weird that they don't promote the Numb Chucks/Grojband hour.

That's actually understandable, it looks better on my TV now.

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
I sat through Grojband and I can confirm Boomerang has a New Episode bug, it's the same as how the other countries look.
[video=youtube;IiDxxLlWWVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiDxxLlWWVg[/video]
Actually, it's not. Boomerang LA has a small, Magenta-colored tab that sticks out left of the bug with the word "NUEVO" when a new episode airs (see SPOILER above). Our bug looks more like the new Boomerang +1 bug (below), because it has the same color scheme and uses the "Teaspoon" logo font on the tile.

10897742_384500841711229_6041034083335205533_n_p.png

(Our bug replaces "+1" with "NEW" in that same font.)

Pac-Attack

Heh, I could of sworn LA had the same bug (aside from obviously using the word "NUEVO").

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
[video=youtube;IiDxxLlWWVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiDxxLlWWVg[/video]
Actually, it's not. Boomerang LA has a small, Magenta-colored tab that sticks out left of the bug with the word "NUEVO" when a new episode airs (see SPOILER above). Our bug looks more like the new Boomerang +1 bug (below), because it has the same color scheme and uses the "Teaspoon" logo font on the tile.

10897742_384500841711229_6041034083335205533_n_p.png

(Our bug replaces "+1" with "NEW" in that same font.)
I thought that it was the same as Brazil for a few hours now.

Mesterius

It's being advertised as coming to Boomerang worldwide. Last time I checked, America was part of the world. There's no reason to believe that Boom U.S. will be the exception, even if the series airs on Boom and Cartoon Network simultaneously.

Um, no, not exactly. Many news headlines about the Inspector Gadget Turner deal included the words "global reach", "globally" or something to that effect; but what the news were actually saying was this: "Turner Broadcasting has picked up DHX Media‘s Inspector Gadget reboot for its Boomerang channels across EMEA [Europe, the Middle East, Africa], Latin America and Asia Pacific." (Quote from Kidscreen.)

Since then, a few other Boomerang feeds have been announced, including BM Australia. But notice that none of the announcements so far (to my knowledge, anyway) has mentioned Boomerang US as part of Turner's Inspector Gadget deal.

In addition, from last June, we have this small statement saying that the new Gadget series will air on Cartoon Network in the U.S.

Of course, the plans for Cartoon Network and/or Boomerang in the States may have changed since last Summer. It doesn't sound too unlikely that Boomerang might end up airing the series in the U.S., too. But still - at this point, Boomerang airing Gadget in America does not seem to be an official fact, but rather an assumption that a lot of people make.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
OK, then, I'll concede. I believed that some official word from Turner confirmed that the new Inspector Gadget series would be coming to Boomerang U.S., but a search for such news turned up nothing. But while it's indeed true that I couldn't find any official statement that the new Inspector Gadget definitely will be coming to Boomerang U.S., at the same time, I've heard no news that it definitely won't be airing here either. Looks like we'll just have to wait until after the Upfront for the official news.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
My memory's a little hazy on this, but wasn't Numb Chucks originally announced as an upcoming Cartoon Network show but then ended up debuting Boomerang? It's possible the same could be the case with Inspector Gadget, but you guys are right, until we receive actual word or press, we'll just have to wait and see where IG actually goes.

Sparkster24

I would be very surprised if all this wait upon the possible Feburary schedule actually has a "new-to-Boomerang" show involved for the weekdays! That, or it could just be new Garfield beginning to premiere on the channel + a major schedule change!

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
My memory's a little hazy on this, but wasn't Numb Chucks originally announced as an upcoming Cartoon Network show but then ended up debuting Boomerang? It's possible the same could be the case with Inspector Gadget, but you guys are right, until we receive actual word or press, we'll just have to wait and see where IG actually goes.
You are right, on last years upfront it was announced that Numb Chucks would premiere on Cartoon Network.

Francisque

BM HQ has some 4:3 promos on their Facebook page, though I suspected that the channel would go 16:9 when it would rebrand.
Over here, CN PT airs older shows letterboxed, as it's a widescreen channel since day one.
It's still 4:3, otherwise a DSTV forum user would've talked about Boom Africa going WS already (as they did with CN)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts