"Blood of Zeus" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK

If there's already a thread, I can't find it. Anyways this drops 10 days from today.
To be showrun by the writers behind that Immortals movie.

khuddle

So basically, 'Greek Castlevania' :p

I just finished Season 1. Yeah, it is EXACTLY that. Right down to the excessive gore and ultra-violence.

I went in with high expectations, after reading the IGN review which gave it an enthusiastic rating of "9".
Well, brother, it ain't no "9". The good news, though, is that it isn't bad. I'd give it a solid "7", which is respectable for a first season:

Pros:
* Soundtrack is AWESOME. One of the best I've heard on a TV series. WOW!
* Liked the way the Gods were depicted. My only criticism here is -- where are the babes? The entire male pantheon are given significant roles (with the exception of Dionysus, I guess), but of the females, only Hera is given an important part; Athena, Artemis and Aphrodite only make brief cameos. We need more
girl-power in future seasons, fellas.
* Both Hera and Seraphim make excellent villains.

Cons:
* Art and Animation is inconsistent: at times glorious and wondrous, at times choppy and messy. Lacks Castlevania's polish.
* Story is slow, plodding and predictable. For those of you who have played the God of War video games (particularly God of War III), you've seen the story before. As for dialogue, they shamelessly rip off lines from "The Empire Strikes Back" and "The Legend of Korra". Guys, most of your audience have probably seen these shows before and are going to make an immediate connection like I did.

Overall, though, I enjoyed Season 1 of "Blood of Zeus", and am looking forward to future seasons.

Last edited:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Not that good of a finish to a promising season start. I was wondering if the show would ever really delve into character motivations beyond basic emotions. Zeus loves other women and has been fathering multiple children all this time and Hera maybe sort of saw this one time with this one woman Zeus has been hiding as the last & final straw even though there wasn't much indication for this beyond awakening their existential foes to destroy the pantheon of Gods. What I mean by that is this whole season was some cat & mouse chase between Zeus's pawns and Hera's rather than an all out-war (last episode is that all-out war). As soon as the viewer finds out who's leading the demon zombie army after two episodes where that is the main focal point, the story shifts to being about Zeus & Hera, historic revelations with various characters and the main character and the main antagonist doing their respective treasure hunts. Eventually, it all ends in one big fight.

I'm ok with this being one-and-done compared to Seis Manos and Castlevania. They need better writers if there's any more story left to tell in this series.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I guess all of Netflix's adult action cartoons will have the anime label?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts