Blade of the Immortal-Manga-to-Anime Transition, how's it far?

Latest News & Videos

Soul

Nov 11, 2006
Many Tsubasa fans know how Bee Train can be with manga to anime adaptions, and I plan on watching Blade of the Immortal soon (with 6 episodes currently out) so how does the anime far?
Does it receive a Bee Train'd bastardization nod?
Or was Tsubasa a fluke that was issued to edited down the way it was by NHK, it's broadcaster.

EDIT: The title is a type-o, it's "how's it fair?"

Rud

Nine Arts Dragon
Aug 22, 2007
Mays Landing, New Jersey
REALLY!? :eek:
none of the violence has been toned down?
not realy

only real difference i can see is that in the anime the events dont happen in the same order and certain characters being itroduced a hell of alot faster, like Rin appearing in the first episode (along with others). Its like their trying to compress the material to make things go faster or something, sometimes things dont make much sense.

I know some people who've given up on the anime just because of that, but its still really the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Feb 21, 2003
Arlington, VA
Wow, sounds like it's practically the opposite of normal Bee-Train treatment. Quite a surprise.

Soul

Nov 11, 2006
Hm.
I don't know
A lot of negativity when I asked on the "Other Anime" board at [as].
Though, I've heard the manga is well... EPIC.
Like GOD like epic.
Epicly awesome.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Ep. 1 and 2 were pretty great. Granted I never saw the previous anime, it was interesting this one skipped direct adapting the first issue. They don't show Manji vs. his brother-in-law, Johnny, Machi playing with poop. It starts in media res with Manji fighting Shido and his Shinsengumi gang but interesting to see it play out in black and white and red. The rest is close to the manga chapters - Rin finding Manji, Kuroi, bald guy with spear, Sori, Magatsu.

Liden Films did a damn good job of adapting Hiroaki's designs, imo.

But based on what 2 episodes covered, looks like the 1st 24 episodes could adapt up to Dark Shadows.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
^Presumably, it will cover up until Kaga or get into a little of that arc then season 2 will be the rest, such as Magatus vs. Shira and the final battle with the Shingyoto-ryū.

Interestingly enough, episode 3 was the entirety of the "Dream Song" story, the introduction of Makie, rather than Eiku Shizuma, the next story in the manga.

Reactions: Radiant97

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Episode 4 was a head-scratcher. What was originally more a Rin story, more was added to also star Anotsu. The core of it was the chapter 12-13 "Rin's Bane" story, when Rin randomly finds Anotsu practicing in the woods near Manji's hut. But the beginning of the episode was the Makie flashback from Dream Song, the previous arc in the manga, where Anotsu's grandfather Saburo leaves her up in the tree and the next day they learn she survived by killing 52 wild dogs. Then the episode ends with another addition, the flashback from all way at the end of the manga series, chapter 185 "Law of the Road" part 1 when Abayama kills Saburo to save Itto-ryu and 10 year old Anotsu's life. And it seems like they removed Eiku from this anime completely as he's not in this flashback like he was in manga either, just Koroi, Anotsu, and Magatsu are witness.

Animation wise, the bits with Anotsu using his Kabutsuchi axe were well done, imo.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Episode 5 was Cry of the Worm with Eiku Shizuma the 200 year old immortal. It was probably the closest to the manga so far and yeah, because of the poison, lot of blood when Manji's wounds all resurface. Still, it had some of my favorite moments early into the series like when Manji correctly pulls his sword on Eiku at the rest stop and when he uses his connected swords to slice and dice him in the finale. Next episode I guess should be Kawakami the mask maker.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

back when the Harvey Weinstein allegations happened i remember saying "well i'm not surprised he's known for being a jerk to certain movies particularly in his treatment in animated movies he acquired and is known for re-cutting live action flims behind director's backs."
They are still airing New Episodes of Max and Ruby???
Most NBCU networks will air movies with limited ads.
Happy 51st Birthday to MCU Ant-Man's Paul Rudd
Happy 24th Birthday to Bunk'd star Miranda May
Happy 22nd Birthday to Bunk'd and Jessie's Peyton R. List