"Black Widow" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Release Date:
May 1, 2020 November 6, 2020 May 7, 2021
July 9, 2021 (in theaters and on Disney+)

blackwidow_card.jpg

Well, it might finally be happening. The Wrap is reporting that Marvel has hired Jac Schaeffer to write a solo Black Widow movie.

However, there isn't a release date, and this doesn't seem to be officially green-lit yet; I expect we may not hear more until after Infinity War.

I'm not very familiar with Schaeffer's works, but having a female writer should be good PR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
A solo film for Black Widow has been in-demand for a while now, so it's nice to see Marvel Studios finally moving ahead with it ;).

I'm certainly curious to see what kind of premise or story they tell with this and what kind of focus they give Natasha. All the moreso given this is likely to be a post-Infinity War movie :ack:.

I hope Bucky and maybe a few other Avengers can make an appearance :anime:.

Greg91

Reporter
I've been waiting for this. Not as much as the Black Panther movie, of course, but pretty much since Iron Man 2 released and talks began about a Black Widow movie. I was seriously thinking we could get this movie in 2020 alongside Guardians Vol. 3 and I imagine a Doctor Strange sequel would release that year as well. If they only have a writer though, it may come out later. A writer was hired to write the script for Black Panther in 2011 and that movie is coming out in 2018.

Either way, I'm ready for a more serious, character driven MCU action film in the same vein as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Logan, and Haywire. Black Widow certainly fits the bill and I want to see this movie happen for sure!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Finally! :D Interesting read. So Marvel met with Johansson about it over Thanksgiving and Feige interviewed writers over Christmas and New Year's. But it's still in early dev and not officially greenlit. Still, come along way since Nicole Perlman's drafts before Thor 1 came out.

the greenman

Maybe they're getting tired of other films trying to copy what it could be:

Lucy
Atomic Blonde
Red Sparrow

Honestly, the only way I can see this breaking from the pack is more sci-fi elements. With so many anti-heroine films, Disney needs to draw in a larger audience.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Honestly I am kind of hoping after Spider-Man Homecoming 2 (or whatever that's called) It's the next big Marvel movie they have come out in like 2020. I imagine they're keeping mum on it due to wanting to still be vague on what the Avengers will be like after the 2 part Infinity War but I think we all know Natasha will survive it and I hope it does lead to her own movie and franchise. Especially since after Infinity War, you are going to have to need to scale back all the movies anyway as you can't go super full mega universe destroying/reality altering behemoth as Thanos is so having just a super spy story with a much more grounded hero and obstacles would work and we all know Scarlett can certainly carry the movie well. Not too much a fan of the wteri's work but could still make a good movie if the team commits well to one.

the greenman

Honestly I am kind of hoping after Spider-Man Homecoming 2 (or whatever that's called) It's the next big Marvel movie they have come out in like 2020. I imagine they're keeping mum on it due to wanting to still be vague on what the Avengers will be like after the 2 part Infinity War but I think we all know Natasha will survive it and I hope it does lead to her own movie and franchise. Especially since after Infinity War, you are going to have to need to scale back all the movies anyway as you can't go super full mega universe destroying/reality altering behemoth as Thanos is so having just a super spy story with a much more grounded hero and obstacles would work and we all know Scarlett can certainly carry the movie well. Not too much a fan of the wteri's work but could still make a good movie if the team commits well to one.
I don't think it'll be that quick. I just hope they tie in the Skrulls to any story. That seems the most logical sci-fi story element for this. Tracking down Skrulls after IW.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
1/10: Keep in mind the timeline is not necessarily anchored to release schedules as is evident with Phase 3 like "Black Panther" takes place right after Civil War or "Captain Marvel" being in the 90s. This Black Widow movie might not be after the 3rd and 4th Avengers movies.

As for development. Hmm. We're talking an existing character... so like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Gunn got started on it in August-ish 2014 almost right after Vol. 1 and finished by December. Pitched the story treatment in February 2015. Then the work on the 1st draft was April to June 2015. Casting and all that till the end of that year. Filming in February 2016 and the movie came out in May 2017. Granted BW won't a CG-heavy movie -- but if it's in early development now, this could be a 2020 movie at the earliest. Vol. 3 likely has a lock on May 1, 2020. The other 2 unassigned slots are August 7 and November 6 supposedly. 2021 if you're pragmatic because you have to figure there's others in front of this movie in the pipeline we don't know about yet since there's a gap of time between us finding out about Homecoming 2 and Vol.3 and the announcement of BW this week.

1/12: Johansson and Schaeffer will reportedly meet at the beginning of February.

Neo Ultra Mike

Well again I would hope it does get made in 2020 so glad it's moving along well. As for the figure well supposedly Scarlet got 20 million for being in Age of Ultron and likely Captain America Civil War and these two connected Avengers movies paid the same amount as well so this isn't the biggest bump compared to that but still a nice hefty sume which I think she's more then earned. Granted not as much as Robert Downy Jr makes per movie since the first Avengers but honestly she still makes more then most any other actor in this franchise. Though I don't really see Black Widow doing near a billion dollars in the box office though since I think it would be on the lower end cost wise of a Marvel movie (no offense to the character I just think it would make sense for a storyline about her not to be as uber expensive as say an Avengers movie or even a Thor movie or the like) it would still be a pretty big success and honestly Johanneson does need one after her last major starring role in Ghost of the Shell was kind of a major flop and a sign that "yeah even one of the most beloved actresses can't sell an adaptation that doesn't really appease to a general audience."

Frontier

Staff member
That would put it in the same year as Guardians Vol. 3...it looks like the Phase 4 slate is beginning to reveal itself ;).

reflection01

I would like to see a pre-Avengers Black Widow spy film. Perhaps a romantic thriller with Winter Soldier but not necessarily.

Neo Ultra Mike

Again I'm cool with this happening in two years since that's what I wanted to happen anyway. And I don't think this is just being fast tracked either since again they have had ideas and obviously have the character and obviously know there's a huge fanbase for Black Widow in the movies so there isn't as much convincing or worry or even having to come up with ideas or casting worries (at least for the main star) that can take months of a movie's initial pre-production. Honestly once you have a base and know where you're going with a character actually making a movie with them doesn't take nearly as much time. Thus why Captain America Civil War only came out a couple of years AFTER Winter Soldier and both movies were universally praised and adored. If you have the talent that already cuts a lot of the time.

I do hope though this isn't a Black Widow movie that takes place majority in the past. That worked for Captain America as that's not only how the character generally starts but it was also OUR first introduction to him and his mythology so it made sense to do so. Black Widow has been pretty well established at this point in the other MCU movies where you probably can get a story about her past that's feature length but there's probably more interesting stuff you can do with present material. Especially since prequel stories starring a backstory of a character also have to do away and shed the actual character development and journey we've taken before. I want to see a movie star a Natasha dealing with the fall out of Civil War and the Infinity War storylines and the like with maybe a side story about her past then just focus there. With stuff that's introducing the character okay that can work since we're also getting that with Captain Marvel but we don't need that with Romanaov. Just do a story taking place in the present and I'm already instantly down for it, whatever else it may be about.

the greenman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts