"Black Widow" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I'm pretty sure at this point most of Phase 4 is confirmed and being plotted out... In Marvel studios as yeah it's still too early for us to know about that, but pretty sure Marvel has it's plans laid out for movies for the next few years. Remember Phase 3 was laid out pretty handily all the way back in late 2014. And though we have gotten some changes to that schedule (mostly in not doing an Inhumans movie and adding Spider-Man to the mix due to getting the rights back as well as Ant Man getting a sequel) the plan of movies stayed pretty consistent for the last 3+ years. Hell late 2014 they said Phase 3 would end with the two part Avengers 3/4 coming out in Summer 2018 and 2019 and yeah that's still the case so again Marvel probably has a lot of those slots confirmed. And also probably told some of the cast of these movies that as well. Again probably too early for us to know but I think it works slipping out at least Black Widow more officially getting made sometime pretty soon. Again be perfect timing if that was the May 2020 slot considering it would mark the character's 10 year introduction history in the MCU.

Neo Ultra Mike

Probably not honestly because unless Black Sparrow was specfiically using the same name of they're ideas and world as Marvel is, you can't really sue someone for using a lot of the same basis ideas as you if they call and dress it as something else. I mean, why else hasn't Twilight sued 50 Shades of Grey which literally started out as just Twilight fan fiction? Pretty sure Red Sparrow didn't even start out as someone's Black Widow fanfiction and even if the idea is similar, the usage of differing names and placement make it unique enough to avoid copyright claims. Especially since I imagine the Black Widow movie won't focus that much on her actual backstory and be a more modern story long after the agency that trained her and even regular SHIELD are long gone.

Frontier

Staff member
Probably not honestly because unless Black Sparrow was specfiically using the same name of they're ideas and world as Marvel is, you can't really sue someone for using a lot of the same basis ideas as you if they call and dress it as something else. I mean, why else hasn't Twilight sued 50 Shades of Grey which literally started out as just Twilight fan fiction? Pretty sure Red Sparrow didn't even start out as someone's Black Widow fanfiction and even if the idea is similar, the usage of differing names and placement make it unique enough to avoid copyright claims. Especially since I imagine the Black Widow movie won't focus that much on her actual backstory and be a more modern story long after the agency that trained her and even regular SHIELD are long gone.
I'd be surprised if the movie doesn't go more in-depth with the Red Room and Natasha's history with it (certainly given how often that storyline is re-used for her in the comics).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If the script requires Bucky like Black Widow was in Captain America: Winter Soldier -- sure, that's a world builder story. But if it's a stand-alone story that doesn't necessarily require existing characters to guest star, nope. Black Panther was able to keep it pretty minimal with just Ross, Klaue, and a Bucky cameo.

Frontier

Staff member
If the script requires Bucky like Black Widow was in Captain America: Winter Soldier -- sure, that's a world builder story. But if it's a stand-alone story that doesn't necessarily require existing characters to guest star, nope. Black Panther was able to keep it pretty minimal with just Ross, Klaue, and a Bucky cameo.
I think by nature of Black Widow being an original Avenger and having mixed in with all these different characters, there's a far likelier chance we might see a few more heroes pop up, if not in a way that detracts from Natasha's screentime and personal agency :).

And, of course, Bucky would have more reason to have a significant role in a Black Widow movie then he would in a Black Panther film ;).

Frontier

Staff member
Looks like the movie will be a prequel (set before Iron Man 2), and Winter Soldier might show up.
I wasn't expecting a prequel, given Natasha probably has enough going on in the modern era, but I guess it would be interesting to see Natasha pre-Avengers when she was more of a clandestine spy for SHIELD :cool:.

I guess we'd get to see Natasha and Bucky's first encounter again, maybe establishing there was more to their relationship then Natasha had ever disclosed :ack:?

Neo Ultra Mike

*Groans* I'm really getting sick of like EVERY major female super hero movie now having to be a prequel of some kind. Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, heck to a certain extent X-Men Dark Phoenix, and now this. And yeah I know there's a lot of material for Natasha's past to make a movie about but... we've seen her develop and change a lot as a character in the current run of films and I want to follow THAT story, not wind the clocks back for... whatever reason. I really hope this does not turn out to be the case and granted I trust Marvel to tell this story well but I'm really just sick of all these freaking prequels and really thought we were past that especially with ESTABLISHED CHARACTERS in the MCU.

the greenman

*Groans* I'm really getting sick of like EVERY major female super hero movie now having to be a prequel of some kind. Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, heck to a certain extent X-Men Dark Phoenix, and now this. And yeah I know there's a lot of material for Natasha's past to make a movie about but... we've seen her develop and change a lot as a character in the current run of films and I want to follow THAT story, not wind the clocks back for... whatever reason. I really hope this does not turn out to be the case and granted I trust Marvel to tell this story well but I'm really just sick of all these freaking prequels and really thought we were past that especially with ESTABLISHED CHARACTERS in the MCU.
" target="_blank" class="link link--external" rel="nofollow ugc noopener">https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/female-superhero-movies-past-captain-marvel/amp/

We'll find out how they handle this. I figured this would include past elements of the MCU. Peggy Carter, Fury, maybe Coulson. Would they dare attempt a crossover Captain Marvel?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
It does seem kind of weird, when you put it that way, that most modern female-led Superhero movies seem to be prequels or period pieces :sweat:.

Neo Ultra Mike

It's not even most though as it seems like ALL of them are like that. I mean technically if Incredibles 2 is focused on Helen Parr that would make a female led super hero movie that takes place in that universe's modern day setting but... not only is that still part of an already existing franchise, animated and not sarring a Marvel or even DC character, it's still likely going to be an ensemble led movie. But all others from Wonder Woman 2, Captain Marvel, maybe this and even Dark Phoenix are all that. Silver and Black if it had actually been made might of broken that mold (even if that was technicall more about female anti heroes) but it got halted mid production so it's unlikely/unknown if it will be made. Same with a lot of the female led DC projects tossed around from Batgirl to Gotham City Sirens: actually get in production and not just have scripts tossed around and I may believe you're actually getting started. Heck it says a lot when of the female led super hero movies that may start with they're characters in the present coming out soon, the closest may be Eternals of all things. It really should be Black Widow and again hoping that just a bunch focuses on Natasha's past not setting the entire movie there but... already ranted on that enough already just hoping for more actual confirmation on the movie, especially if it removes the whole "taken place in the past" info going around.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Eh, it's still early dev. They could scrap the prequel idea if true.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
At the end of this article on Hollywood Reporter, they mention some of the directors which are currently considered for this movie.

Marvel Studios has been looking for a director to break its glass ceiling with Black Widow and has been meeting with filmmakers such as Deniz Gamze Erguven (the Turkish movie Mustang), Chloe Zhao (The Rider) and Amma Asante (A United Kingdom), among several others. That search is still ongoing, according to sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts