"Black Lightning" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Felt like a bit of a sucker punch there was a Earth-1 version of the Black Lightning cast of characters. But still rad that Jefferson was Secretary of Education like in the comics. But troubling there's an ASA.

Well, that was a bit predictable for the kind of story we had, but that's okay. The Pierce family exists (existed?) on both Earth-1 and Earth-2, each version illustrating a different side of Jennifer's dilemma. And the ASA could be even worse than what we've seen in the series. Do we have a designation for the Earth of Black Lightning? I can't recall, but I guess we'll have one tomorrow.
Good question, I don't think they ever announced what it was so yeah, I think we'll know in the Flash episode.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Black Lightning "The Book Of Resistance: Chapter Four: Earth Crisis"

I'm glad this wasn't an official part of the Crisis, because man, that was bleak. Now we know the story behind Black Lightning of Earth 1, and it's grim.

As for Earth 2, I am not surprised, because good people are more likely to become evil in that Universe. I do not fear for Jennifer because that strikes me more as a Universe specific thing, instead of a Jennifer specific one.

What I don't get is the timeline. Is Jennifer going back and forth in time? Because Earth 2 was "destroyed" earlier in Arrow's season. And what was with the red skies being ever present? The destruction of Earth 2 on Arrow happened nearly immediately, and it is hinted Earths 66 and 89 were obliterated pretty quickly too. It's clear Black Lightning taking part in the Crisis is last minute, because unlike those other shows, they don't have the story straight.

Jennifer speculating that their Universes were being pushed together suggests that if the Arrowverse will wind up combining the Universe's of Earth 1 and Earth 38 as speculated, they will probably do the same for this Universe. I vehemently spoke out against the likelihood of this idea on message boards, because the crossover was last-minute, and that notion would basically change everything about the show, including the fact that DC heroes like Supergirl are fictional in that Universe. But I'm guessing I'm going to have to eat crow about that. That's how seriously they are taking this.

Part of me wonders if this was a mandate from the network (unlikely) or Berlanti (my guess). But I can't imagine the showrunners must be happy about it. I think it's a good thing, but I also think it could mess up a large subtext of the series. We'll find out in January, I suppose.

Can you believe Freeland under NSA occupation is the GOOD Universe? At least Our Jennifer now knows what's up with Odell. That will help thing greatly, I think.

Dire episode. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What I don't get is the timeline. Is Jennifer going back and forth in time? Because Earth 2 was "destroyed" earlier in Arrow's season. And what was with the red skies being ever present? The destruction of Earth 2 on Arrow happened nearly immediately, and it is hinted Earths 66 and 89 were obliterated pretty quickly too. It's clear Black Lightning taking part in the Crisis is last minute, because unlike those other shows, they don't have the story straight.
Yeah, that could have been executed better. I guess it was a combo of her instability emotion-wise, her powers, the anti-matter wave, space-time that allowed her to project her consciousness to Earth-1 and Earth-2 prior to the current events in Earth-2's demise? I hope the crew doesn't say it was a fever dream thing. But man, wouldn't it be weird, wrong, etc. if Jefferson has to slip into Earth-1 Jefferson's life after the Crisis? I kinda wish the only tie-in aspect of the episode was Jefferson being plucked out of his universe, feels like they did too much, imo.

hobbyfan

This interlude was mostly a showcase for China McLain (Jennifer), illustrating Jennifer's conflict of interest between her family and that backstabbing Odell, who is our season long big bad, unfortunately.

Interested in seeing how Jeff interacts with his new friends......

@Fone Bone: This is actually part of Crisis, but an interlude chapter, not a full episode of Crisis.

Otaku-sempai

Jennifer speculating that their Universes were being pushed together suggests that if the Arrowverse will wind up combining the Universe's of Earth 1 and Earth 38 as speculated, they will probably do the same for this Universe. I vehemently spoke out against the likelihood of this idea on message boards, because the crossover was last-minute, and that notion would basically change everything about the show, including the fact that DC heroes like Supergirl are fictional in that Universe. But I'm guessing I'm going to have to eat crow about that. That's how seriously they are taking this.
I do remember hints, early in the series, that suggested that other superheroes do exist in Black Lightning's world (something like, "Why is it, if a person of color gets powers, they are seen as a thug or a terrorist?"), though I don't recall any being mentioned by name. On the other hand, those hints could easily be dismissed as pop-culture references.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

41606911_714841895543276_7300027854266302464_n-png.203761

"The Book of Markovia: Chapter One: Blessings and Curses Reborn" - Episode 10
Jefferson navigates his new reality following the events of the Red Wave, and Lynn's determination to save the meta kids deepens her troubles. Meanwhile, Anissa/Blackbird faces new challenges. Lastly, Jennifer's bond with Brandon begins to grow.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Black Lightning "The Book Of Markovia: Chapter One: Blessings And Curses Reborn"

Lynn seems extra pathetic. I get that's what addicts are, but it sure isn't flattering to her actress.

It amazes me that Jefferson actually HAS to be told by Anissa to step back. He should already know that.

Odell is still one step ahead. The rat. But Jen is so powerful she fried her collar. If she can do that, Odell and the NSA is in trouble.

Like the relationship between Gambi and TC.

Jefferson saying Superman is real is another reminder than before the Universes were combined, the DC Heroes were all fictional in this Universe. And nobody else but Jefferson and possibly Jen knew that.

Solid episode. ***1/2.

hobbyfan

Lynn is in denial, not so much pathetic. For that alone, Odell needs to be taken down once and for all. The time for that old rat to keep running is over.

The way I see it, this should've been over before Crisis, and post-Crisis, you could start with a clean slate, and a new story arc for the rest of the season, since there's two months or less left.

But the idiots didn't think of that......

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
^It has been said adding Black Lightning to the Crisis was a last minute thing so likely the showrunner and crew for BL couldn't really change the season arc.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Lynn is in denial, not so much pathetic. For that alone, Odell needs to be taken down once and for all. The time for that old rat to keep running is over.

The way I see it, this should've been over before Crisis, and post-Crisis, you could start with a clean slate, and a new story arc for the rest of the season, since there's two months or less left.

But the idiots didn't think of that......
Black Lightning's involvement in the Crisis was last minute. The producers aren't idiots just because they were caught flat-footed with the Universe reboot.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
But was it WB's or CW's call to include Black Lightning in the crossover?
Even if it weren't it is not something to call the producers idiots over. Words have power. Berlanti shows have done their share of idiotic things (side-eye in Riverdale and Titans' direction) but you are using language that is appropriate in only the harshest of circumstances for things that are no big deal. That's not okay.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

"The Book of Markovia: Chapter Two" - Episode 11
Jefferson, Anissa and Jennifer discover that the ASA is now hunting the entire Pierce family. Meanwhile, Lynn does the unthinkable.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Black Lightning "The Book Of Markovia: Chapter Two: Lynn's Addiction"

Man, TC is going to be really helpful with Kahlil. Gambi befriended the right kid. TC noting most other white people would have ignored him made me wince. Because that observation was completely true, and I felt guilty that it was.

When Jefferson literally makes a veiled threat to cut off Brandon's penis I was like, "Jefferson does not respond to problems fathers go through like a sane or good person." It's a bit rich how upset he is at what Jen has done when pretty much Jefferson's words and actions are always violent, disturbing, and yes, patently creepy where his daughters are concerned. It really bothers me. A lot. The guy is out of control in his personal life. It's hard to root for a hero who is so ill-mannered in every respect in his civilian identity. And fathers so concerned with their protecting their daughters' virtues creep me out, and they should creep everyone else out too. Why the writers gave Jefferson this borderline incestuous facet and think it's funny is beyond me.

In the rebooted Universe Odell is from Gotham. I also strongly suspect he's lying about his past with MLK. Why? Because he's almost certainly lying about golfing with the President. Does the white female lady President seen in the rebooted Universe at the end of the Crisis seem like much of a golfer to you? It's likelier Odell is simply a pathological liar.

What's messed up is that as much as the Pierces hate Odell, they are still unaware of his biggest crime against them: Deliberately hooking Lynn on drugs. That is the major shoe drop I'm waiting for. Jefferson is SO against killing the guy. I hope that idea gives him some perspective.

I had a huge problem with the brothel scene. Full disclosure: I have never visited a cathouse. But I am 100% certain clients would have to check their phones at the door, and not be allowed to wander off by themselves, specifically so they wouldn't do what Big Man just did. I am a total layman regarding that specific institution, but one thing that is consistent in real-life is that criminals are careful, particularly the organized ones. Why wouldn't that be true for brothels too? If it is, the episode is outright badly written. It is very common that writers of the Berlanti shows do no research into any given profession they write about. And one of the most infuriating aspects of them never doing that is that they make sloppy asinine mistakes that you shouldn't even NEED to research, and should just be plain common sense. What irks me is that Black Lightning, the series, does this far less often than the other Arrowverse shows and Riverdale. But apparently it is not immune to lazy writers too busy to research an even cursory understanding of a given subject or profession.

The plot was a bit sloppy and the characters grated. A mixed bag. ***.

Last edited:

hobbyfan

Odell? A pathological liar? DUH! He probably has no clue who the President is in this new earth.

So Jefferson doesn't trust Brandon right away. No shock there, either. It's a parental thing.

Grace wants to be on the team? Team Lightning can use all the help they can get right now.

Lady Eve (Jill Scott) resurrected? Never saw that coming.

This is going to get crazy real quick.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

"The Book of Markovia: Chapter Three" - Episode 12
Jefferson and Anissa join forces with the ASA to help one of their own. Meanwhile, Lynn is forced to continue battling her demons.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Black Lightning "The Book Of Markovia: Chapter Three: Motherless Id"

I am amazed that Jennifer thought bringing Kahlil back would be in his best interest. I get she's a selfish teenage girl who wants her boyfriend back, but surely even she should appreciate that the guy killed his own mother and now has to live with that. I forgot that Jennifer didn't know until tonight. Gives me an extra reason to want to see her take Odell out.

The kill order on Lynn is not a surprise, but I hope the Pierces are smart enough to know it exists and plan accordingly. That is not something they need to get surprised with again. That family could use a little common sense for once.

I love the doctor at the beginning telling Tobias how much he hated self-hating black men. That has always been Tobias's most loathsome quality and it galls me that the first time anybody ever called him on it was midway through season three.

For the record, were I the Pierces, I would not be begging loved ones off the mission. A pardon and destruction of files means they should WANT their loved ones on this op. Truthfully however, I suspect Gray may have promised much more than she intends to deliver. I don't see how any agreement she makes on a handshake with Jefferson now can be enforced later. Jefferson is taking a lot of this pardon business on blind faith.

The series put Jace on the spectrum to make her easier to relate to, but it doesn't work because it's wholly inconsistent with earlier episodes. Jace is a sociopath who doesn't care about people other than herself. That has nothing to do with misreading social cues or having Asperger's. It's like the producers completely forgot the mental disability they actually afflicted her with. You can't just pick and choose about stuff like that.

That was interesting, but I can't say I actually enjoyed it much. ***.

hobbyfan

Quick note: Gardner Grayle is a character from the books, well before Black Lightning was an idea in Tony Isabella's imagination.

Grayle was part of a Silver Age team known as the Atomic Knights, and was rebooted post-Crisis into a solo Atomic Knight, IIRC.

I don't think Khalil is going to survive beyond this season. Period.

I don't trust Major Gray. I'd sooner jam that beret over her eyes so tight, it'd be surgically removed.

Next week: Gravedigger II (the New 52 version), as Wayne Brady joins the show. Whee.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts