"Black Lightning" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg91

Reporter
It would be kind of amazing if the Arrowverse next year or the year after takes on a five-show crossover with Black Lightning joining the ranks :D.
As long as it doesn't get too busy. I always find myself worried about these crossovers being overdone for fan-service, but when I watch them, I can't stop smiling, so what do I know? :)

hobbyfan

I look at it this way.

Vampire Diaries & Reign are ending. Berlanti conceivably can now checkerboard the entire week, provided, of course, that Riverdale is renewed for a 2nd year. Black Lightning can air on Fridays, and give us something to watch virtually every night of the week.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
2/14: Some possible plot details have surfaced - Jefferson Pierce is a 40-year-old high school principal who hasn't used his superpowers in over a decade but un-retires to save his two daughters after they are kidnapped by the One Hundred street gang, a group that's currently at war with the LAPD. The series is set to tackle many of the problems we see every day on the news including corruption and racism.

Character breakdown of the Pierce family.

2/23: Akil will direct the pilot, too.

I swear the DC tv shows are getting better awesome and awe-inspiring i imagine dc power hour with reruns and New episodes until Saturdays every week

Otaku-sempai

Well, Williams is supposedly 46 years old, so I see no problem with Jefferson Pierce's youngest daughter being 17 or 18 with the oldest in her early 20s.

When Tony Isabella created Black Lightning, Pierce was single with no children. The ex-wife and daughters (and his niece Joanna Pierce) were additions by later writers. He was also a teacher at first, not a school principal. Pierce's niece and Oliver Queen had a one-night stand. Her connection to Queen got her murdered. The show will probably ignore that unless it actually becomes part of the Arrowverse.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm unfamiliar with him, but we'll see how he does. From his age, it seems his daughters might be kinda on the young side, thinking pre-teen and teen.

For you fans, what's the story with the mother? Dead?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
I've seen him in a few things myself over the years (90210, Living Single, Veronica Mars, Never Been Kissed, Hart of Dixie) but he was pretty much a side or guest character in all. It's interesting that this is probably his first or biggest lead role. Someone at the CW (I'm guessing) must be a fan.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
I think I've seen him briefly when I saw some Hart of Dixie while channel surfing, and while he doesn't really strike me as the lead in a Superhero drama, I'm curious to see what he'll bring to the role :).

Nice to finally have our hero cast, if nothing else :cool:.

the greenman

Well, Williams is supposedly 46 years old, so I see no problem with Jefferson Pierce's youngest daughter being 17 or 18 with the oldest in her early 20s.

When Tony Isabella created Black Lightning, Pierce was single with no children. The ex-wife and daughters (and his niece Joanna Pierce) were additions by later writers. He was also a teacher at first, not a school principal. Pierce's niece and Oliver Queen had a one-night stand. Her connection to Queen got her murdered. The show will probably ignore that unless it actually becomes part of the Arrowverse.
Ok. Thnx. I know we won't see the niece stuff happen, but interesting info.

Frontier

Staff member
Nice to finally have the sister's confirmed :D.

Also good timing since they just had their first speaking roles in today's DC Super Hero Girls episode :).

the greenman

Okay, I'm not really feeling this so much now. I rather had them younger, or at least one young preteen and the other pushing young adult. Be interesting for a little girl dynamic and father. But not that this can't work. It worked in 'Too Close For Comfort'.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Okay, I'm not really feeling this so much now. I rather had them younger, or at least one young preteen and the other pushing young adult. Be interesting for a little girl dynamic and father. But not that this can't work. It worked in 'Too Close For Comfort'.
Consider the channel. If it were on a channel that skewed younger, they'd be younger. But it ain't.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I thought CW skewed pretty young to begin with :sweat:.
If it were on Disney or Nick, the girls would be more the age you saw in the DC Nation shorts. On CW, it makes sense to me we have one of teen and college age each. Or did I take my crazy pills again?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I think that's how it was in the comic pretty much with Thunder into adulthood and Lightning being around 16. If this fits the story they're going for, I think it might work.

I totally empathize though as it always feels as though they're casting somebody too old in one of these superhero shows to me.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts