Black Friday 2010 talkback

Manga4life

DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
So, what is everyones plans for Black Friday this year? Historically I have always worked the Black Friday event due to being in big box retail so this year will be no different, but honestly, I have never been shopping on Black Friday and the bulk of the stuff I do buy is product I have put aside in the office so I can't say that I've had to put up with waiting in line or anything. It's funny because most of the people I work with hate Black Friday and dread it year after year, I personally love it and the rush of opening the doors to 100-150 people is just incredible, I really am excited and can't wait. Tonight I'll be staying late to help set up my store with displays and bulk stacks of all the big sale items, it's a fun time and it really is a true kick-off to the holidays for me, anyone else doing the same?

So, what's everyones plans for the big day? Working? Shopping?

ABrown

I truly don't understand what people are thinking shopping on black Friday. I'm done with buying presents for Christmas. Now days, I only buying gift cards for people for Christmas. I'll buy actual presents for my wife and step son. But I'm done with going and buying presents for over a dozen people. I don't have that kinda time or patience.

Mistah K88

I will be working starting at 3 AM to 11 AM since I work retail. Normally I'd hate working that early...but THAT day i'm fine with it. This will be my first time opening on Black Friday, I want to see it happen...however I don't want to end up trampled on the job...

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
I'm avoiding all of the big box retailers, but a local comic book store usually has a half-off sale and I can't miss that.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Gonna drop into Best Buy at a minimum. Movie hunting last year was a great success. Also might try shopping for clothes + sneakers, but "cool" shopping first.

Yep, I'm just shopping for myself. I used Amazon to get my Christmas shopping done. No stress for me!

Cartoon_Kid

Customized
Mm, i'll probably buy a few dvd's , games, or just shop for some clothes. black friday is actually a blessing for me.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
I'm definitely going shopping once again this year, although this year, I'll be waiting outside of my Target instead of Best Buy due to that store not having any real big doorbusters (aka those that require a sheet of paper that is passed out to receive) that interest me.

Michael24

Staff member
I won't be out shopping. But my mom has to work and doesn't want to deal with parking, so after somebody drops her off in the morning, I'll be going back to pick her up. I may also catch a movie beforehand since most of the crowds should be at the stores as opposed to the movie theater.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
The only thing I really need on Friday is a Wii card... Don't know if I want to try to find one though.

JasonFox

The Maniacal Movie Critic
I'll probably go on the prowl for some DVDs and Blu-Rays, I'll check out what's there.

Marvin Tikvah

My mom had me help her pick out a PC last night that she'll be buying on special during the sales.

As for me, I'll be spending that day waxing floors. No crazy shoppers for me.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I've never actually shopped on a Black Friday. I usually do my Christmas shopping online with a few gifts here and there in a store during the first week or two of my winter break. This year won't be any different. I plan on staying at home, most likely covered in blankets since it will be really cold and working on some projects and papers for my classes. There were some people in my classes talking about just going to a store on Friday to see what it would be like. Maybe it's just my discomfort with large crowds of people and unwillingness to shop that early, especially with the cold winds and rain around this time of the year, but I don't really want to go out just to satisfy my curiosity like that.

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
I'll most likely be going into work at 11 and leaving at 7. Luckily, it shouldn't be as packed since I work at a supermarket. While there are some good deals here and there, I'm just not one of those guys that likes to go shopping, and wake up that early. Normally, I go to bed around the time most of these stores are opening this year. 4 AM, really?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm not sure what, but I will definately buy something. I'm just not sure whether I will buy something at Best Buy, Borders, or Gamestop.

Sparticus

Should be drawing right now...
Eh, just Petsmart. Gonna see if I can snag a carry bag/crate thinger for my cat.

We don't really do Christmas anymore (can't even begin to afford it) so there is no shopping rush in my house. And I don't miss it, to be honest.

RIBMAS FTW.

dothesmartthing

Planet Yakko
I have to work this Friday, but only from 7:30 to 11:30 in the morning. Then I need to get some body wash, and finally I'll catch an evening movie at home.

purplehairedwonder

No woman should suffer at the hands of men
Staff member
Luckily, it shouldn't be as packed since I work at a supermarket.
Oh man, I worked a few Black Fridays when I worked at a grocery store and it was so dead. Everyone has all kinds of leftover food from the holiday and are out doing Christmas shopping so have no reason to come to the grocery store. That was always a loooong day.

I'll be spending the day out shopping with a friend and her parents. I can't afford to go home for Thanksgiving, and her parents are coming here, so they invited me to dinner and to go shopping at some of the local spots. I'm not planning to get anything--it'll be easier to shop once I've flown home for Christmas--but it'll be fun to look.

Golfkid

I will be working starting at 3 AM to 11 AM since I work retail. Normally I'd hate working that early...but THAT day i'm fine with it. This will be my first time opening on Black Friday, I want to see it happen...however I don't want to end up trampled on the job...

I'm in almost the exact same situation! ;)

I have to work 3:45 AM-12:15PM. It's my first time working on Black Friday, but I actually don't mind. Being busy makes the work go by faster.

The one thing is that I don't know how early to go to bed. Can someone with experience help me? I want to spend some time with my family, but at least get some rest too. Is there a certain time? :confused:

As for Black Friday shopping, no way! I'm not getting up at 4 AM, especially after eating all that food, just for a video game or whatever I might want.

I already bought my family's gifts, even though they aren't that great!

The Cartoon

Blast From the Past
Our family generally doesn't go shopping on Black Friday because of the crowds. Sometimes some online shopping since the prices are still good. But I mostly use the day to start decorating for Christmas.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts