black and white clip in "Alice in Wonderland"

GCFyouthcamper

Promoted to Camp Counselor
In "Alice in Wonderland," everything loses color for about two seconds exactly when the Mad Hatter smashes the "mad" watch. Why? I've always wondered about this. Even in remastered editions, it is still there. Does anybody know why?

Dr.Pepper

Oh yeah, same here. I remember I had it on recorded video when I was younger and I thought it was just something wrong with the tape, until I got it on DVD that is...

Mini Garbonzo

Do you like my eyes?!?!
Dramatic effect.
That's what I thought too, but I noticed how almost right after it turns to black and white, it goes back to color. There's something a bit off timing there in the dramatic effect, but I guess that's probably what it was intended for.

Last edited by a moderator:

EJLD4Ever

Animation Student
Here's one theory---the film was released about a year before Eastman colour negative existed. The Technicolor process, used theretofore, used a B&W negative to record the values of red, green and blue, separately, which was later used to make dye-transfer colour prints.

When the Eastman process was introduced, the original 3-colour successive-exposure negative was transferred to Eastman stock in order to keep the 3 colour records in proper allignment, which would otherwise be lost as the successive-exposure negatives naturally expand and contract with age. This labour-intensive process involved making a positive print of the SE neg, and triple-exposing every frame of the raw Eastman stock on an optical printer---once through a red filter, then again through a green filter, and finally through a blue filter.

The B&W segment comes from error, as the printer operators probably forgot to put the filters in front of the lens of the "camera" half of the printer.

Just a theory!

JerryvonKramer

Reviewer, Retroist, Batfan
I always wondered about this too. It was the same on my old VHS copy.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts