Black Adder

Calhoun07

It's Me
Who else likes this great show? I just got the DVD box set and it is AWESOME! Each series is put on one disc, and disc five has a bunch of bonus materials (tho each episode disc has special features, also). I love Britcoms much more than 99% of American comedies, and this show is among the best, if perhaps not the best. Series 2 was my personal favorite, if that was the one with Miranda Richardson.

Kylewayne

Mrs. Outlander00
I loved that show!!!...Are you for real ...they have a boxet out?
Houray!, it,s tue that show is HILARIOUS" I used to watch it when it used to play on T.V here. Too bad there isn't many shows out there like that.

Calhoun07

It's Me
I hope they release the Young Ones real soon, too. And Red Dwarf. Those are the other two series I would give up eating to own on DVD, if I had to!

don Jaime

Okay, I may have reason to get a DVD now. I have the VHS box set, plus the Christmas special. I've never managed to run down "The Cavalier Years" and I don't think the Millenium Dome episode has been released to video yet, except maybe in the UK. What's on that bonus disc??

The second series was best, followed closely by the fourth (that last episode was great but such a downer).

Wanna quote?

"So what you're telling me, Percy, is that something that you have never seen is slightly less blue than something else that you have never seen."

"Is this Jane 'Bury Me In a Y-Shaped Coffin' Harrington?"

"Could it be that I hold in my hands a lump of purest green?"
"Well, it's not really a lump, is it? It's more of a splat."

"Great Boo's up, Edmund!"

"They've vanished."
"Like an old oaken table."
"Vanished, Lord Percy, not varnished."

freakboy86

Ahhhh, Black Adder. That's a show I haven't seen in YEARS.
I do know that they have 'Young Ones' on VHS, but I haven't heard if it will ever be on DVD. The same for 'Red Dwarf'. As a matter of fact, both of those, as well as 'Faulty Towers' and 'Monty Python' have subscription services thru, I believe, Columbia. Similar to the 'Anime' club where you get a new tape every 2 or 3 weeks.

"NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!"

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Blackadder is one of the best comedies ever. I still haven't see Blackadder: Back and Forth yet though. There are rumours of a Blackadder movie. It will be set in the 70s and focus on a rock group called *drum roll* The Blackadders.

"That's because you don't say 'bibble' after all your scentences"

Calhoun07

It's Me
Originally posted by freakboy86
Ahhhh, Black Adder. That's a show I haven't seen in YEARS.
I do know that they have 'Young Ones' on VHS, but I haven't heard if it will ever be on DVD. The same for 'Red Dwarf'. As a matter of fact, both of those, as well as 'Faulty Towers' and 'Monty Python' have subscription services thru, I believe, Columbia. Similar to the 'Anime' club where you get a new tape every 2 or 3 weeks.

"NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!"

Monty Python, of course, is already out on DVD, and I own the entire series of that one, and Watery Fowls...uh, I mean Fawlty Towers will be out on DVD before the end of the year. If I recall right, the entire series will be put on two discs. And I know that Warner has special plans for Red Dwarf, but I haven't caught any official announcements yet, tho I am hoping for a box set like Black Adder.

As far as the Young Ones goes, if it's on VHS, I hope that is a good sign that they will put it out on DVD. There are so many other Britcoms I'd love to have on DVD, I can't possibly list them all. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and Butterflies are two series I hope they put out on DVD.

Calhoun07

It's Me
Originally posted by don Jaime
Okay, I may have reason to get a DVD now. I have the VHS box set, plus the Christmas special. I've never managed to run down "The Cavalier Years" and I don't think the Millenium Dome episode has been released to video yet, except maybe in the UK. What's on that bonus disc??

This is excellent motivation to get a DVD player if you don't already have one! The special features do include Black Adders Christmas Carol and the Cavalier Years! The bonus disc (which I understand is not for sale outside of the set) includes Back and Forth and Baldrick's Diary.

don Jaime

Time to save me money!

Blight Man - you're thinking of the proposed fifth series, "The Black Adder Five," which was to be set in the '60s rock era. The drummer would be Bald Rick. Sounds awful, especially after the shattering end to "Blackadder Goes Forth."

James

Administrator
Staff member
BlackAdder

Who else likes this great show? I just got the DVD box set and it is AWESOME! Each series is put on one disc, and disc five has a bunch of bonus materials (tho each episode disc has special features, also). I love Britcoms much more than 99% of American comedies, and this show is among the best, if perhaps not the best. Series 2 was my personal favorite, if that was the one with Miranda Richardson.

BlackAdder was an excellent show.... however you must be cautious not to over rate British Comedy, sit coms in particular. Yes, over the past 30 years we have had some great, ground breaking stuff. Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, Young Ones, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers - but we have had some serious dross. VERY bad comedy. So bad you will never hear it in the US... be thankful.... you'll never watch Waiting For God, Keeping Up Appearances, Last Of The Summer Wine, The Two Ronnies.....

And as for our 'comedy films'....... good lord.... (except the Python films of course!!)

End on a patriotic note... top UK comedy...

League Of Gentleman
BlackAdder
Fast Show
Father Ted
Bit Of Fry and Laurie
Hitch Hikers
Bottom
Python
Fawlty Towers
New Statesman

.... erm.... that's it!

Fav Blackadder? Well all of them for different reasons.

Blackadder being the first and the one I never see mentioned in any reviews.. with a very different Blackadder to the sequels...

The second, for the rather cool Blackadder and the best Percy. Queenie is also a gem.

The Third for it's heavily underated script, satire and performance from both Laurie and Atkinson... the most historically intelligent of the four in my opinion..

The forth... well we all know why the forth is so great so I won't even go there!

The only disappointment is the Blackadder Goes Back and Forth.. heavily diluted and not a glimmer on the series..... not as good as the Christmas Carol one off which was proof that one off episodes could be done just as well as the series'

don Jaime

SJJ, I live in a fairly backward part of the US, and I've seen all four except the Two Ronnies. The Trent woman and the Bucket lady kick ass, IMHO. You're right about The Last of the Summer Wine, though.

Calhoun07

It's Me
Re: BlackAdder

Originally posted by SJJ

BlackAdder was an excellent show.... however you must be cautious not to over rate British Comedy, sit coms in particular. Yes, over the past 30 years we have had some great, ground breaking stuff. Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, Young Ones, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers - but we have had some serious dross. VERY bad comedy. So bad you will never hear it in the US... be thankful.... you'll never watch Waiting For God, Keeping Up Appearances, Last Of The Summer Wine, The Two Ronnies.....

Well, the others aren't familar to me, but Keeping Up Appearances is shown here in the US, and seems to have it's fair following, but I am not among them. I'd have to say that my favorites (off the top of my head) are Are You Being Served, Reginald Perrin, Butterflies, Ever Decreasing Circles, Mr Bean, Open all Hours, Good Neighbors, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Next of Kin, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, the Young Ones, Fairly Secret Army....and I am sure I could find more and keep going on and on. The PBS station in St Paul/Minneapolis airs quite a bit of these, but the PBS station here in Kansas City sucks and only shows To the Manor Born and Keeping Up Appearances.

I even really liked Tripods, and wish they would put that entire series out on DVD.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts