"Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
FEBRUARY 7, 2020

In development with writer Christina Hodson. Margot Robbie is reportedly a big fan of the Birds of Prey comic books.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Well, happy as I am to see DC doing a Birds of Prey movie and building more on their bevy of female heroines/characters, there's so many DC movies supposedly in development that it'll probably be a while before we see anything more from this :sweat:.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Yeah seriously. At this point Marvel has realized pointlessly announcing movies they haven't definite plans to make is a waste of time and resources so when the MCU announces they are making a film, 90% chance it is coming down the pipelines. At best DC's got a... what 15% average at this point? For that matter why are they interested in all of these brand connections anyway? Harley Quinn is obviously a popular and magnetic enough character to star in a movie by herself. As proven in the endless comics made about her and now even getting her own animated series. So why attach her to all of these other ideas that either have terrible baggage attached to them (Suicide Squad 2) seem like they're forcing her into the concept (Birds of Prety) or aren't films people asked for (Joker vs Harley. I should point out people do want more of the backstory of her relationship with the Joker but they either want a movie of them being together or her alone, not one where they're constantly fighting), so I don't know why they're being made this way.

That said if something good with the general brand can be done I'd be for it and it would be nice to have a super hero female team movie THAT WAS IT'S OWN THING. Seriously I appreciate female team up movies but I want less stuff like Ghostbusters 2016 (even if I'm one of the few people who really liked that movie) and Ocean's 8 and well, movies starring characters that aren't just doing a genderswap story or scenario previously seen before. Though yeah don't expect Warner Brothers to have this done for awhile with they're let's face it really shoddy track record.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah seriously. At this point Marvel has realized pointlessly announcing movies they haven't definite plans to make is a waste of time and resources so when the MCU announces they are making a film, 90% chance it is coming down the pipelines. At best DC's got a... what 15% average at this point? For that matter why are they interested in all of these brand connections anyway? Harley Quinn is obviously a popular and magnetic enough character to star in a movie by herself. As proven in the endless comics made about her and now even getting her own animated series. So why attach her to all of these other ideas that either have terrible baggage attached to them (Suicide Squad 2) seem like they're forcing her into the concept (Birds of Prety) or aren't films people asked for (Joker vs Harley. I should point out people do want more of the backstory of her relationship with the Joker but they either want a movie of them being together or her alone, not one where they're constantly fighting), so I don't know why they're being made this way.

That said if something good with the general brand can be done I'd be for it and it would be nice to have a super hero female team movie THAT WAS IT'S OWN THING. Seriously I appreciate female team up movies but I want less stuff like Ghostbusters 2016 (even if I'm one of the few people who really liked that movie) and Ocean's 8 and well, movies starring characters that aren't just doing a genderswap story or scenario previously seen before. Though yeah don't expect Warner Brothers to have this done for awhile with they're let's face it really shoddy track record.
It does strike me as odd that when Marvel announced a movie, I see it in theaters two or three years later, and that is almost never true for DC stuff. It's been like that for ages, and long before the DCEU, so I think there is something wrong with the entire company.

Otaku-sempai

If Quinn is in Birds of Prey then she's more likely to be working in opposition to the "crime-fighters" rather than with them. If they want to make Harley an antihero, maybe DCE should revive Gotham City Sirens after all.

Might the Birds of Prey be pitted against the Gotham City Sirens?

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
The problem is that Gotham City Sirens is still attached to David Ayer. Since technically, Ayer wasn't really ever fired or let go or quit the project and honestly it seems like despite they're problem with directors, The DCEU isn't about directly firing these people as much as taking opportunties to have them leave either on they're own or behind closed doors. See what happened with Zack Snyder or even Joss Whedon. So until the DCEU totally cuts the cord with Ayer they still have him attached to Sirens which is why that project was getting the least push of the four Harley Quinn related movies the team were trying to push, even if sans Suicide Squad 2 it's hard to see any of them being made any point in the future.

Again I just wish that if the DCEU wanted to make a Harley Quinn movie, they would just make a Harley Quinn movie and use just her supporting characters and storylines from her comic. You don't need to put her into a Birds of Prey film as that's a group she was never really apart of, nor would it make sense for her to be apart of one. Especially within the DCEU's take of the character. I am glad to see they are pushing for equality and diversity with they're castings but... that should be for a project it makes sense for them to make... also for a project that well will actually get made. Again the DCEU at this point is even worse then FOX or Sony Marvel in actually getting movies of they're universe out with all the various plans they keep talking about with characters that may never see the light of day.

Otaku-sempai

It's reported Batgirl will be introduced in this movie, before starring in her solo film. Similar to Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (or Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War).
Okay, Oracle is pretty central to the core concept of Birds of Prey, being the founder of the team. Are we going to introduce Barbara Gordon as Oracle to just cure her paralysis and have her move on as Batgirl? Are we going to have the Birds, but without Oracle? Or are we going to have a different Batgirl (Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, someone else)? Everything we've seen so far suggests that the solo Batgirl movie should feature Babs.

Frontier

Staff member
Okay, Oracle is pretty central to the core concept of Birds of Prey, being the founder of the team. Are we going to introduce Barbara Gordon as Oracle to just cure her paralysis and have her move on as Batgirl? Are we going to have the Birds, but without Oracle? Or are we going to have a different Batgirl (Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, someone else)? Everything we've seen so far suggests that the solo Batgirl movie should feature Babs.
It wouldn't be the first time Barbara's Batgirl has been involved with the Birds of Prey, although either as Batgirl or Oracle I imagine Barbara will be pretty central to the movie :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Feels kind of weird to be associating "the next Harley Quinn movie" with Birds of Prey given she has virtually little connection to that group in the comics :sweat:.

If Quinn is in Birds of Prey then she's more likely to be working in opposition to the "crime-fighters" rather than with them. If they want to make Harley an antihero, maybe DCE should revive Gotham City Sirens after all.

Might the Birds of Prey be pitted against the Gotham City Sirens?
It's so convoluted at this point but Harley is the focal point of like 4 movies in development at least. If it's going to be centered in Gotham, the implication in SS was Joker and Harley are at the top of the criminal underworld's food chain -- so some sort of appearance is expected.

Frontier

Staff member
It's so convoluted at this point but Harley is the focal point of like 4 movies in development at least. If it's going to be centered in Gotham, the implication in SS was Joker and Harley are at the top of the criminal underworld's food chain -- so some sort of appearance is expected.
This movie, Suicide Squad 2, Gotham City Sirens, Joker vs. Harley...she's giving Batman a run for his money :p.

the greenman

I never saw the Birds of Prey as a strict team but rotating.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Dreyfus

If Quinn is in Birds of Prey then she's more likely to be working in opposition to the "crime-fighters" rather than with them.

I hope this is the case, but knowing how much WB sees Harley Quinn as a cash cow I wouldn't put it past them trying to pass off a more heroic version of the character, which would be a misstep in my opinion.

I've always thought of the Birds of Prey as being Oracle, the Huntress, and Black Canary. It would have been cool to see them let Gail Simone do a script with them and maybe Harley and Ivy on the side. I would love to see a good Batgirl movie lead into this sort of thing, but then the question would become could we still get Oracle in it. That probably depends on what they want to do with Barbara Gordon, but it would be a shame to miss out on a chance to see a strong, fan-favorite character and crime fighter with a disability like that. I think it sucks what they did to her in the comics with the reboots and stuff.

EDIT: As long as we're talking about it, it would be awesome to see my favorite Batgirl, Stephanie Brown, down the line here. People always talk about "Batgirl of Burnside" being so great, but Brian Q. Miller's run on Batgirl with Brown taking on the mantle is so much better it's not even a comparison to me. That comic was like watching the female Peter Parker from the early Amazing Spider-Man comics.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm not super excited for anything Harley Quinn, but I do like the idea behind Batgirl appearing. I've wanted a (good) live action Batgirl for a while, so I'm rooting for this film for her.

Otaku-sempai

EDIT: As long as we're talking about it, it would be awesome to see my favorite Batgirl, Stephanie Brown, down the line here. People always talk about "Batgirl of Burnside" being so great, but Brian Q. Miller's run on Batgirl with Brown taking on the mantle is so much better it's not even a comparison to me. That comic was like watching the female Peter Parker from the early Amazing Spider-Man comics.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the female Peter Parker," but in those early Marvel days I was more of a DC reader.

EDIT:
It was very slice-of-life is what I mean, like dealing with everyday teen problems while trying to learn how to be a hero, which I don't know if we ever really got to see with Barbara. This and Static Shock really just remind me of what people say they liked so much about the Stan Lee era stuff.
Okay. I was reading that differently than the way you meant it.

Last edited:

Dreyfus

It was very slice-of-life is what I mean, like dealing with everyday teen problems while trying to learn how to be a hero, which I don't know if we ever really got to see with Barbara. This and Static Shock really just remind me of what people say they liked so much about the Stan Lee era stuff.

Frontier

Staff member
However this movie turns out and which characters are involved, I'm all for any kind of DC movie that prominently features and showcases it's plethora of female heroes and villains ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts