"Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm kinda wondering will the "Batgirl" - if it gets made - will that be a prequel set a few years ago whereas "Birds of Prey" will feature Oracle, Barbara in a wheelchair, in the 'current present' of the movies. Sort of like with Wonder Woman. They introduced her in a ~team movie BvS then she got her origin movie set during WWI. If so, then they could have a bit more range with casting Barbara.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm kinda wondering will the "Batgirl" - if it gets made - will that be a prequel set a few years ago whereas "Birds of Prey" will feature Oracle, Barbara in a wheelchair, in the 'current present' of the movies. Sort of like with Wonder Woman. They introduced her in a ~team movie BvS then she got her origin movie set during WWI. If so, then they could have a bit more range with casting Barbara.
It also probably depends on which movie ends up getting made first :p.

the greenman

Well, we all know how reactionary WB DC is. I bet they will make this first cause Margot Robbie isn't getting any older. If the Studio is smart, they'll ditch Gotham City Sirens and go with this having Harley and Ivy as the villains.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

Well, we all know how reactionary WB DC is. I bet they will make this first cause Margot Robbie isn't getting any older. If the Studio is smart, they'll ditch Gotham City Sirens and go with this having Harley and Ivy as the villains.

Oh, Margot Robbie sure as sunshine is getting older (though I'm certain you meant she isn't getting any younger). I'm not feeling any love for Harley Quinn as one of the Birds; I still suspect that she'll either be allied with them, a wild card, or even working against them.

Last edited:

the greenman

Oh, Margot Robbie sure as sunshine is getting older (though I'm certain you meant she isn't getting any younger). I'm not feeling any love for Harley Quinn as one of the Birds; I still suspect that she'll either be allied with them, a wild card, or even working against them.
Lol, yes typo of course. Yeah, not sure how they wanna play this Birds of Prey thing. Seeing how The Batman is a prequel, just don't really know what to think at this point.

the greenman

Well, this doesn't take alot of planning really. Not much on the VFX level, mostly the stunts, and we know they have had some scripts and stories in the pipe. Deadpool 2 had a fairly quick turnaround too (with the exception of the director issues). Antagonist from Penguin to Black Mask has been mentioned. We have just been kept in the dark very much so we have to guess. I think SDCC will clarify all or most of our questions on somethings.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
They're casting but I'm confused, do they even have a director yet?

Otaku-sempai

Margot Robbie does seem to have a producer credit for BoP, but how reliable is her reportage really? Is this just her wish list for the film or does she really know what she's talking about? And even if all of this is true right now, how much is likely to change during development and production?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
It's pretty obvious the DCEU executives greenlit this idea so they can have they're own take on Deadpool; to have a smaller budget film mostly bolstered by it's high profile character being allowed to be edgy to appease to the adult fans. I mean despite having a small 60 million dollar budget the first DP movie made 12 times it's budget thanks to very positive word of mouth mostly due to the fact it was a hard edged R rated movie. And honestly Harley Quinn in terms of popularity and fan culture appeal is pretty much the answer to DP so I can see wanting to market that. And again I still think it's a weird idea to have her headlight a Birds of Prey movie instead of just her own film but if it's being done to have a lot of wacky R rated shennigans in it I'm all for that. Especially since if the focus is on a more small scale adventure that means they have to focus more on the story and characters and can't half cock that which is probably the better move to make for a DCEU film.

Granted I have doubts this will still be made as the DCEU has a TERRIBLE TRACK RECORD when it comes to talking big about ideas but failing to deliver on them but honestly I'm probably more positive on this then a lot of people. Just like how I was fine on there being a Venom R rated movie from Sony without Spider Man: there are possibliites there with the rating that even with a smaller budget can still allow for a good movie provided they know what they're doing. Granted with WB it's harder to say that but this can be pulled off well so if it happens I hope they are able to do so.

the greenman

I had always heard that Harley's film was going to actually be BOP. I'm still curious if Gotham City Sirens is a thing. I think not, because Ayers is out.

The idea I always envisioned is the BOP taking down Harley and Ivy. If it's Harley and Joker fine. If it's the BOP working with Harley to take down Black Mask or Penguin; that might be interesting.

Otaku-sempai

This 'rated-R' business would actually make a hell of a lot more sense if this was a Gotham City Sirens movie. I don't suppose that the film might pit the Sirens against the Birds of Prey, which might at least clarify the role that Harley would play in the plot. Surely she's not one one the Birds.

New Rumor: Birds of Prey will include Barbara Gordon... But not Batgirl. So possibly a core team of Oracle, Huntress (Helena Bertinelli?) and Black Canary.

Last edited:

the greenman

This 'rated-R' business would actually make a hell of a lot more sense if this was a Gotham City Sirens movie. I don't suppose that the film might pit the Sirens against the Birds of Prey, which might at least clarify the role that Harley would play in the plot. Surely she's not one one the Birds.

New Rumor: Birds of Prey will include Barbara Gordon... But not Batgirl. So possibly a core team of Oracle, Huntress (Helena Bertinelli?) and Black Canary.
Which would place Batgirl as a prequel, if true. Following suite with other female driven superhero films.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts