"Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's rumored the movie will feature Black Canary, Huntress, Lady Shiva, Katana, and Harley Quinn (who will have Oracle's role). The plot supposedly involves their mission to save Cassandra Cain from her father David Cain.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's rumored the movie will feature Black Canary, Huntress, Lady Shiva, Katana, and Harley Quinn (who will have Oracle's role). The plot supposedly involves their mission to save Cassandra Cain from her father David Cain.
I like that cast - Lady Shiva and Cassandra Cain, yeah! But Harley in Oracle's role... huhn.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Yeah honestly the line up though feeling more "Gotham City Sirens" then Birds of Prey in a sense, does make sense. This time since it's an R rated movie we'll probably actually see Katana use her soul sucking sword more then Suicide Squad (which at best was in the background) and have more a purpose to the narrative. Black Canary's the only one that requires major special effects work for the Siren scream and even then it's not a move she has to use all the time. And yeah though most of the team consist of super martial artists I think there would be a difference in how Lady Shiva fights to Canary and Huntress.

Though yeah Harley Quinn as Oracle seems... weird. I mean it does seem like there are going to obviously be other movies (if you believe the plan of the DCEU anyway) where she's at the forefront action wise but shouldn't you push those first if that was the case? Considering she's again the big draw of even making this movie. Maybe there's some rationale that's a tease to other movie or maybe she's supposed to be more on the down low after breaking out in Suicide Squad. Or maybe just the idea of Harley being the leader and having to give directions just seemed like too appeasing and amusing an idea for the team to not go through with it I don't know but just announcing it like that does feel a bit off. Then again even if these are true I'm still in the "Until you're actually in production on something DC I'm not believing you'll actually put these ideas in motion" with all the WB Super hero movies honestly so I'm still not sure this one will even come out soon but again more then willing to be proven wrong.

Otaku-sempai

Any association between either Lady Shiva or Harley and the BoP should be strictly temporary. I really don't like the rumor that Harley is filling Barbara's role for the team.

the greenman

I reported this last year. GCS was in actuality, BOP. They want to use Birds of Prey for its namebrand and do what they want. This is Robbie's production, so of course she is going to have a significant role. It does, however, clarify that the Batgirl film will probably move forward.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

Taking the Gotham City Sirens treatment and simply rebranding it as Birds of Prey is as crappy a thing to do as taking Martin Scorsese's Joker movie and calling it Gotham Central (not that anyone has suggested the latter).

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I guess that fits the film having a diverse cast, but I'm not sure how I feel about Harley being involved in this, let alone in an Oracle role.

I mean, I think it's a major disservice to Barbara to not only shove Harley Quinn into her role on the Birds, but to also not even have her involved in a story with Cass o_O.

I'm also not sure I see Shiva trying to save her daughter, unles she had an ulterior motive for doing so :ack:.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I reported this last year. GCS was in actuality, BOP. They want to use Birds of Prey for its namebrand and do what they want.

Honestly the Birds of Prey namebrand really doesn't extent past general DC Comics fan. I mean would the general public even know much about the specific Birds of Prey brand who last I checked outside of comics really only showed up in crappy one season WB series and one episode (with an admittedly awesome song to boot) in Batman: Brave and the Bold. It's not exactly a specifically popular brand name on it's own. And like Suicide Squad is really being used since it was a thing in the comics they can attach popular characters too. I mean honestly Gotham City Sirens is probably at least culture wise a more popular name and would signify more to people what this movie would be but... yeah there's another reason why GCS is turning into Birds of Prey: Remember that David Ayer signed a contract where he would be the one directing Gotham City Sirens so any momentum of the project would go through him. And pretty clear DC/WB wants to distance themselves from Ayer but don't want to directly fire him so like Zack Snyder pretty much seem to be moving forward on projects that don't have to involve him at all thus going for this.

This is Robbie's production, so of course she is going to have a significant role. It does, however, clarify that the Batgirl film will probably move forward.

You know thinking about it I realized another reason they are giving Harley Quinn the "oracle" role: because I'm pretty sure if they are moving forward with Batgirl, they want the character to just be Batgirl and not have a killing joke pulled on her and become Oracle which would get like a terrible load of backlash nowadays to do to Barbara. I mean isn't that part of the reason why Barbara stopped being Oracle in the comics and got miraculously healed: they don't want to have to deal with a handicapped Barbara Gordon. Thus Barbara if she does get that Batgirl movie will more be her own thing as they'll likely try rebranding Birds of Prey just to be a bunch of "super fierce bad ass and tough female characters getting together for missions" and removing the "Oracle only watches form the sideline" vibe. Since no way would a Birds of Prey movie just have Harley Quinn at headquarters giving out exposition and sassy one liners: she'll be in the field at some point I can guarantee you that.

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly the Birds of Prey namebrand really doesn't extent past general DC Comics fan. I mean would the general public even know much about the specific Birds of Prey brand who last I checked outside of comics really only showed up in crappy one season WB series and one episode (with an admittedly awesome song to boot) in Batman: Brave and the Bold. It's not exactly a specifically popular brand name on it's own. And like Suicide Squad is really being used since it was a thing in the comics they can attach popular characters too. I mean honestly Gotham City Sirens is probably at least culture wise a more popular name and would signify more to people what this movie would be but... yeah there's another reason why GCS is turning into Birds of Prey: Remember that David Ayer signed a contract where he would be the one directing Gotham City Sirens so any momentum of the project would go through him. And pretty clear DC/WB wants to distance themselves from Ayer but don't want to directly fire him so like Zack Snyder pretty much seem to be moving forward on projects that don't have to involve him at all thus going for this.
The Gail Simone Birds of Prey run in it's heyday was a pretty popular book and DC's most high-profile female team book at the time, and had a much longer run then Gotham City Sirens had.

It's not necessarily a name-brand as far as the general public is concerned, but as far as the DCU is concerned it's a pretty major group.
You know thinking about it I realized another reason they are giving Harley Quinn the "oracle" role: because I'm pretty sure if they are moving forward with Batgirl, they want the character to just be Batgirl and not have a killing joke pulled on her and become Oracle which would get like a terrible load of backlash nowadays to do to Barbara. I mean isn't that part of the reason why Barbara stopped being Oracle in the comics and got miraculously healed: they don't want to have to deal with a handicapped Barbara Gordon. Thus Barbara if she does get that Batgirl movie will more be her own thing as they'll likely try rebranding Birds of Prey just to be a bunch of "super fierce bad ass and tough female characters getting together for missions" and removing the "Oracle only watches form the sideline" vibe. Since no way would a Birds of Prey movie just have Harley Quinn at headquarters giving out exposition and sassy one liners: she'll be in the field at some point I can guarantee you that.
Well, Oracle is a pretty empowering and popular identity for Barbara, some would say more then even Batgirl is, so I don't think there would be much backlash if she was used here so long as her history as Batgirl was acknowledged.

But, heck, if this movie is going to go ahead and introduce Cassandra Cain, who's to say the Batgirl movie won't end up being a solo film for her?

the greenman

I think you're underestimating the female geek culture tremendously. They surely know about Birds of Prey outside of the aforementioned appearances. In fact I bet my bottom dollar that female culture (which is probably in the high millions) has been clamoring for just that; a BoP film. I have a feeling this film might actually be them introducing Barbra.

We have to know, WB is doing exactly what we're assuming. It's not rocket science, based on their track record. Not feeling the Harley on team, and why is Shiva here at all? Maybe setting up Nightwing? Ugghh. I so don't want this messy universe at all. Hopefully they decided on a good villain.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

As Cassandra Cain's biological mother, Shiva's presence is appropriate as long as she's not an official member of the team. She might not even entirely be an ally, but might have a secret agenda of her own.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I misinterpreted that as a character "never adapted in live-action". Shiva I think was on the short-lived Birds of Prey show, and will appear on the final Season of Gotham (which will probably come out before this movie).

Frontier

Staff member
If true, this begs the question: Will Montoya be the Question?
She kind of seems like the odd-person out as far as not having a costumed identity (at least traditionally), so I wondered the same thing o_O.

Although Cassandra is also listed by her full name, so who knows what codename they'll give her here :sweat:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, my standards are low as to the villain. As long as the it's not a magic wielding goddess. I don't know if WB would sign off on David Cain being the big villain, they'd want a bigger name villain, imo. I was hoping for someone like Black Mask but depends what the story is really about I guess.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, my standards are low as to the villain. As long as the it's not a magic wielding goddess. I don't know if WB would sign off on David Cain being the big villain, they'd want a bigger name villain, imo. I was hoping for someone like Black Mask but depends what the story is really about I guess.
I mean, we've got Black Canary and Cassandra Cain in one movie. The only villain I can conceivably see giving them a tough time is Lady Shiva :evil:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts