Big O Anime Legends Opening Changed?

animePWNS

A Smashing Reunion
It's been several months since Big O got an Anime Legends release and I got mine today. I couldn't find another thread about this here, so I thought I'd ask. I only watched the first disc, expecting to hear the Queen-like opening, but it isn't there! Instead it's a completely different song that sounds like the Kinks, and this disappoints me a lot. The song also plays on the main menu screen.
Is this song only on the first disc? Was it always like this? Or did Bandai lose the rights to the original song when they re-released the show and had to get a new song? I just can't believe they'd do something like that.

Hades

When the show reaired in Japan last year they gave it a new opening called The Show Must Go On, which played before all 26 episodes rather than just 13. The new DVD sets have that opening on it, but Bandai never mentioned it at all, nor are the other openings anywhere to be found.

Juu-kuchi

Everypony's Starry-Eyed
That I find rather strange. I've always thought that Bandai's anime legends just slapped all individual DVD releases in one box with no alterations whatsoever.

Leaping Larry Jojo

Searching for a map
I believe it does mention, at the back of the Anime Legends casing somewhere, that there is a "new" opening. So yes, the Queen theme is gone, gone to the crypts of yesteryear on the original singles and the first OOP set...

Disappointing.

Cyporiean

lvl 99 Otaku
Its not a Queen song, it just sounded alot like the Queen song "Flash Gordon". Most likely Sunrise had to change the song because of it sounding too much like the Queen song.

cetuskun

If it was a problem in the first place though wouldn't they have had to change it when it first aired? And I'm pretty sure it's still airing on AS with the old one. And there are four opening themes listed on ANN:

#1: "Stoning" by Toshihiko Sahashi (Eps 1-2,14)
#2: "Big-O!" by Rui Nagai (Eps 3-13)
#3: "Big-O!" by Rui Nagai [USA DVD Release] (eps 15-25)
#3: "Respect" by Toshihiko Sahashi (Eps 15-20,22-25)
#4: "Big-O! Show Must Go On" by Rui Nagai [2007 ANIMAX Broadcast]

They probably just thought if they used a new opening theme it would attract people who had bought/seen the show before. It annoys me though that it replaces where the theme originally played in one of the episodes.

Tash

Which one of those is the one that sounds like my Dreamcast trying to load a game? (the one they usually played on TV)

cetuskun

Which one of those is the one that sounds like my Dreamcast trying to load a game? (the one they usually played on TV)

I'm pretty sure they never played Respect (it was used for the second season in Japan though I'm pretty sure it was on the English DVDs). The one you remember was probably the Big O one. Even though ANN lists two versions I'm pretty sure they're the same.

Hades

I'm pretty sure they never played Respect (it was used for the second season in Japan though I'm pretty sure it was on the English DVDs). The one you remember was probably the Big O one. Even though ANN lists two versions I'm pretty sure they're the same.

It was never used on the DVDs, but it was shown on CN. I still do not understand why Bandai did not give us the damn second opening!!!

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

eeeh. I guess i'll skip this season for anime as far as new ones go.
Vuxovich wrote on 5YearsOnEastCoast's profile.
Just compare Xiaolin Chronicles' voice acting to the voice acting of this show. I can't believe someone in the 2010s was inspired by a 1990s obscurity. Apparently not a good sign. How about that?
If there was ever a character like this, I think she'd be a fan favorite.

The mystery of catnip solved!

That article fascinated me and I don't even own a cat!

Featured Posts