Big Hero 6: The Series "The Bot Fighter" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Big Hero 6" episode!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 100.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new episode of Big Hero 6: The Series, today at 7:00AM ET on the Disney Channel!

bzbmFQP.jpg

Big Hero 6: The Series "The Bot Fighter"
Episode Debut - September 29th, 2018

Hiro is drawn back into the world of bot-fighting, where he meets Trina, a young bot-fighter.

*Christy Carlson Romano ("Kim Possible") guest stars as Trina.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

zoombie

Okay I got a theory based on the twist ending. Maybe I am just trying to give our main villain more depth and have this connection to Hiro, so this could be reaching.

My theory is Trina is designed after Obake's late little sister. I could totally seeing them doing that, even though she called him father instead of brother, still I could see that and might not even be a conscious thing on his part.

Anyway I don't know Obatke accomplish this week, now it seems he is just missing with them and testing them for fun.

Korra_Fan

Anyway I don't know Obatke accomplish this week, now it seems he is just missing with them and testing them for fun.

He said at the end that he wanted to get Hiro out of the superhero business, and he's actually [annoyed] that this didn't work and now isn't going to pull any more punches. It's a direct lead-in to next week, where Obake is going to
use Hiro's love for Tadashi against him.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoombie

He said at the end that he wanted to get Hiro out of the superhero business, and he's actually [annoyed] that this didn't work and now isn't going to pull any more punches. It's a direct lead-in to next week, where Obake is going to
use Hiro's love for Tadashi against him.

So this is classic villain trying to get hero to become apprentice plot here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudley

Staff member
Trina being behind it all I saw coming. Her being a robot working with Obake, was a surprise. Her being so advanced is even more impressive. It’s making Baymax look like an antique!
Her plan to lure Hiro into bot fighting, would also explain why she’s able to be so tech savvy, despite constantly losing the bot fights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Big Hero 6: The Series “The Bot Fighter”

Sigh. I suppose that was decent as far as the drama and all goes, but honestly? The more it went on, the less I liked it. The episode’s biggest problem is the questions it raised for me. Raising questions is often something a good TV show will do. But this isn’t a mystery or a puzzle, it’s just plotholes and oversights. And maybe I would have actually enjoyed the episode more if I wasn’t nitpicking the logic of it to death in my head.

Where to start? Bot fighting is illegal? Whatever for? San Fran Sokyo is no fun. Also why is it that after the cops raided the place, the fighters seem to go back to the exact same stadium? Shouldn’t that be a crime scene? Or are there a ton of different illegal stadiums around the city? Because the set-up of the scoreboard and all of the bells and whistles suggest this place wasn’t hastily put together. So it’s probably the same place. What’s to stop the cops raiding it again if they know where it is?

Also, how does Gogo collect a fingerprint so perfect on a piece of Scotch tape that is can fool a scanner? Answer: It can’t. It’s bad writing. It’s cheating the rules that were set up. I don’t like that at all.

Also why does Fred shriek in pain when the bot grabs his costume’s claw at the beginning? Are we supposed to believe his finger is in there? Aside from the costume’s hands being far to big to have his fingers mobile, the claws are an entirely different shape than a human hand. Fingers cannot fit in that particular design.

And I sort of smiled when Trina called Obake “Father” at the end. And then she turns out to be a robot? Man, that is a FAR less interesting twist, and worth MUCH less pathos than if she were his daughter. What kills me is I don’t see how making her his daughter could possibly hurt the scenario in the slightest. I get producers being gun-shy about that sort of thing regarding heroes and shaking up the status quo. But Obake is a villain and we JUST met Trina this episode. What are they playing that specific twist safe for? Who does that help? I don’t get it.

About the only thing I was able to say afterwards, “Oh, I liked and enjoyed that,” was Fred’s observation that a hero having a criminal past gives them layers. And that is 100% true and always was. And even if the show is being stupider than it has ever been, I like that it still makes observations like that, even when the episode is otherwise sucking.

But really, there were just too many mistakes in the episode for me to do anything but drag on it. **1/2.

Korra_Fan

The more I dwell on that ending twist, the more disturbing I find it. This grown man is basically stalking a teenage boy, and he flat-out built a robot "daughter" to basically seduce him. Obake, you are messed up.

And I sort of smiled when Trina called Obake “Father” at the end. And then she turns out to be a robot? Man, that is a FAR less interesting twist, and worth MUCH less pathos than if she were his daughter. What kills me is I don’t see how making her his daughter could possibly hurt the scenario in the slightest. I get producers being gun-shy about that sort of thing regarding heroes and shaking up the status quo. But Obake is a villain and we JUST met Trina this episode. What are they playing that specific twist safe for? Who does that help? I don’t get it.

I disagree completely. I think it works because bringing in a sudden daughter when the season is almost over would be groan-worthy, IMO, plus Obake is clearly all about robotics and is totally anti-social - who would he possibly have found to "mate with" in order to produce a daughter? Creating a robot daughter is much more true to his character as it's been established. Also, Christy Carlson Romano's a guest star, not even a recurring cast member like Andy Richter as Globby - they can't use her often, and being an actual daughter to the main villain would kind of require her to be a more frequently appearing character.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I disagree completely. I think it works because bringing in a sudden daughter when the season is almost over would be groan-worthy, IMO, plus Obake is clearly all about robotics and is totally anti-social - who would he possibly have found to "mate with" in order to produce a daughter? Creating a robot daughter is much more true to his character as it's been established. Also, Christy Carlson Romano's a guest star, not even a recurring cast member like Andy Richter as Globby - they can't use her often, and being an actual daughter to the main villain would kind of require her to be a more frequently appearing character.
Three things to rebut:

1. I have seen no evidence whatsoever that Obake is antisocial. He's an evil dude for sure, with warped values, but even sociopaths have families. The daughter would have actually made him more layered than I thought.

2. The Season being almost over means it would be a good place to introduce her for season two. Unless Obake is a one season wonder villain, it's the PERFECT time to introduce a daughter.

3. They could have cast someone else than Romano if they couldn't use her often. Or simply recast the role later on, which is one of the selling point of making cartoons in the first place.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I knew Trina was going to be behind the bot robberies. I kind of hoped it would be someone else just so that it wouldn't be too obvious. I definitely didn't see the two twists at the end coming.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ShadowBeast

Good episode. Here I thought that Hiro was gonna get his own Catwoman, but Trina being a robot in the end was a big surprise. I don't get why Hiro had to admit in the end that he was hooked on bot-fights again when his attention was clearly on Trina. At least with Trina being a robot, we won't have to worry about another love-triangle cliche. Though, the fact that her stealing was obviously not what Obake intended for her to do, she might end up evolve past her programming and become her own character.
I love what the rest found on Yama. Their reactions were priceless, as well as HoneyLemon's "can't look away" comment. I agree with Fred about Yama's dancing too. For a big guy, he was pretty good.

So this is classic villain trying to get hero to become apprentice plot here?
I think it's more of Obake trying to get Hiro out of the way of his master plan. If Obake wanted Hiro as his apprentice, I think he would've done more to get Hiro to do more questionable things.

Trina being behind it all I saw coming.
Yeah, it was more predictable than if Yama had actually been the the one behind it.

Also, Christy Carlson Romano's a guest star, not even a recurring cast member like Andy Richter as Globby - they can't use her often, and being an actual daughter to the main villain would kind of require her to be a more frequently appearing character.
Why can't they use Christy Carlson Romano often?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Why can't they use Christy Carlson Romano often?
It's probably a budget thing given how it was probably expensive to get most of the movie voice actors to reprise their roles, along with some of the big names attached to some of the other guest stars.
3. They could have cast someone else than Romano if they couldn't use her often. Or simply recast the role later on, which is one of the selling point of making cartoons in the first place.
In The Penguins Of Madagascar (which Bob Schooley & Mark McCorkle also worked on), Christy Carlson Romano guest starred in exactly one episode, as opposed to Will Friedle being in a few episodes, or John DiMaggio and Nicole Sullivan being series regulars. She presumably would've done a guest spot on the Monsters Vs Aliens cartoon (which Bob and Mark also worked on) if it wasn't canned early. Bob & Mark probably wanted to cast her in a memorable role but weren't too sure if she could stay for too long, hence why she's cast as Trina, a one shot character that's definitely memorable.

zoombie

So no one has anything to say about my theory that Obake designed Trina after a dead loved one? I think it is a way to humanize him. And he programed the robot to have emotions and affection, oppose to emotionless obedience like the burger robot. There is some more meaning behind it.

ShadowBeast

It's probably a budget thing given how it was probably expensive to get most of the movie voice actors to reprise their roles, along with some of the big names attached to some of the other guest stars.
Is there anything official that says that Christy Carlson Romano is expensive to use?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Just because Romano doesn't get much work anymore does not mean she's unaffordable. It might simply mean she isn't in-demand.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Eh, it's better they humanize Obake, if that's what they're going for (I sure hope they are, to give this show some weight like they already have with Hiro, going by this recent effort). Anything that makes this show stand out more, despite some obvious cliches, am I right?

Mr.O

The Great Beyond on line 2. Slade and Vlad Plasmius say 'Sup?'.
The Original, Vader doesn't want to be left out!

That plot twist was a general surprise at the end which is sort of good, because Trina just smelled of Catwoman the minute she showed up. But it sort of makes Obake seem a little more like a disturbed creeper, what with his making detailed robo-teens to woo his enemies.. I do hope we get more context as to why exactly he made Trina, and I hope said context goes deeper than her purpose for this episode.

As for whether I Trina should've been Obake's actual daughter, I'm of a mixed opinion. I feel that having some human family would humanize him, but on the other hand it would've came out of nowhere. Him making Trina (mechanically) could still humanize him while keeping in line with his character, provided they give him a deeper reason for making life-like robots (e.g. loneliness, fear).

Honestly my train of thought was as follows at the end of the episode: When we first see Obake's warehouse, then see Trina inside of it, I thought she was hired for her role, or to spy. When she said father, my mind immediately went to her being an adopted street-rat, or something. Maybe Obake saw genius in her like he does Hiro. Maybe he wanted a league of evil genius kids for some reason? Then a second later, she was a robot. So, decent twist.

She seem to be sad or regretful when he was hugging her at the end of the episode.

I thought he just shut her down?

Mr.O

I just remembered how she looked at the very end and didn't remember the shutting down .

I'm not certain, myself. I thought he shut her down when his face started glowing. When he motioned his hands, her eyes were closed.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts