"Big Hero 6: The Series" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Season!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out the third season of Big Hero 6: The Series! Premieres tonight at 7:30PM ET on Disney XD! Each episode of the new season will feature two 11-minute stories.

bzbmFQP.jpg

Synopsis: Based on the Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award®-winning feature film, “Big Hero 6 The Series” continues the adventures and friendship of 14-year-old tech genius Hiro, his compassionate, cutting-edge robot Baymax and their friends Wasabi, Honey Lemon, Go Go and Fred as they form the legendary superhero team Big Hero 6 and embark on high-tech adventures protecting their city from an array of scientifically enhanced villains. In his normal day-to-day life, Hiro faces daunting academic challenges and social trials as the new prodigy at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology.

Each episode of the new season will feature two 11-minute stories and follow the Big Hero 6 team as they face off against Noodle Burger Boy and his team of evil mascot robots in order to protect San Fransokyo.

The series voice cast includes Maya Rudolph as Aunt Cass, Ryan Potter as Hiro, Scott Adsit as Baymax, Jamie Chung as Go Go, Khary Payton as Wasabi, Genesis Rodriguez as Honey Lemon and Brooks Wheelan as Fred. Returning this season is Jenifer Lewis as Professor Granville, Jane Lynch as Supersonic Sue, Horatio Sanz as El Fuego, Andy Richter as Globby, Alan Tudyk as Krei, Haley Tju as Karmi and David Shaughnessy as Heathcliff.

Season three guest voices include K-pop stars Nichkhun Horvejkul (“2PM”) as twins Dae and Hyun-Ki, one-half of boy band 4 2 Sing, and Jae Park (“DAY6”) as twins Kwang-Sun and Ye Joon, the other half of boy band 4 2 Sing; Kirby Howell-Baptiste (“Killing Eve”) as Cobra, a charming and crafty villain; and Nichole Bloom (“Superstore”) as Olivia, a passionate comic book fan.

Mark McCorkle, Bob Schooley and Nick Filippi, the team behind the Emmy Award-winning global hit Disney Channel series “Kim Possible,” serve as executive producers. The series is a production of Disney Television Animation and carries a TVY7-FV parental guideline.

This week on "Big Hero 6"...

Big Hero 6: The Series “The Hyper-Potamus Pizza-Party-Torium”
Episode Debut - September 21, 2020

Hiro and a short-handed Big Hero 6 team attempt to stop Noodle Burger Boy and his new family.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Frontier

Staff member
So the intro now has Supersonic Sue and grandson, Hardlight, the Mascots, and I think that lady on the bottom left is Cobra :)?

You can usually tell when it's a holographic sequence when you have a bunch of random villains together yet none of them have dialogue. And let's throw Obake in there even though all his drone can do is just try and grab people :rolleyes2:.

It makes sense that the "adults" of the team would be looking for serious work now that they've graduated, while Hiro's still in school and Fred's just a layabout rich kid, and that it would clash with their Superhero work. They all claimed they'd still pinch in no matter what, but considering they were still late in the end I'm not sure how well that will hold up. Frankly they didn't seem too bothered by focusing on their careers over their hero work :(.

I thought three of Big Hero 6 could take care of a gorilla, but I see I was wrong. I guess they had to take care not to hurt it, what with it being endangered and all :ack:.

I see we're going to continue utilizing the chibi's even without Karmi around :sweat:.

Did somebody play Five Nights at Freddy's to get the idea of a group of deranged villainous animatronic mascots? Of course even evil they're still far more cutesy by comparison. I kind of wonder if there's more female mascots than male as a general rule, but I guess mascots being "cute" lends itself to a more female take. Maybe Noodle Burger Boy is just that desperate for sisters after losing Trina so he's overcompensating :confused:.

I hope they're able to free the mascots though, they're basically being forced to do this :sad:.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Big Hero 6: The Series "The Hyper-Potamus Pizza-Party-Torium"

I'll do a (very) brief review of what I thought of the episode, followed by a longer discussion of my thoughts on the upcoming season.

First, the episode sucked. I am not too disappointed because a sucky episode of this show beats a Marvel Television episode every time. It was passable entertainment, even though it sucked. But it DID suck, largely because Fred was even more annoying than usual, and he's the most annoying character on the show.

As far as the rest of the season goes, the season made a controversial retooling this season. Instead of an arc, most of the episodes are going to be standalone. And starting next week, they will be split up into 2 11 minute stories. Geeks LOVE serialized storytelling in their animated superhero shows, so I noticed a LOT of online resistance to this idea. Let me offer a contrary opinion: I don't think it will hurt anything at all. I don't think the show will be better for it, but it won't be worse either. Why?

I don't feel the open-ended premise of the show lends itself to arcs. The Obake storyline in season 1 was great, and I see how and why it got the show sold and picked up by Disney Channel. But after that ended I never really got the sense that the premise lent itself to long term Weismanesque season by season storytelling, or that the producers really had further use for it. I think once Obake was done, the writers seemed a bit of at a loss with what to do for an arc in season two. It doesn't help that every single other rogue beside Obake is utterly disposable, and exists solely because the show needs SOME rogues. That means the show was not in it for the long dramatic haul.

So, let's let it go comedic instead if that's the case. I would rather watch a couple of cute funny cartoons each week than be gradually disappointed with an arc that doesn't work. I think either this show doesn't lend itself to that, or the writers aren't good at sustaining that. Either way, I don't think the show will be worse off for this retooling.

Fans will howl. Fans will complain. But I think if fans were being completely honest they'd acknowledge season two's supposed arc was a total dud, and realize maybe the show simplifying things is the producers figuring out that that sort of storytelling didn't work. Rumor has it that this was a network mandate though, right? Here is another thing you might not want to hear: Sometime's a network note is a good one. I don't feel like the television landscape with be markedly worse with an absence of serialized storytelling on Big Hero 6: The Series. What that tells me is that making the show more accessible to kids and newbs is the correct move. Whether other fans like it or not.

Me? I don't particularly like this episode. **.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
This episode was okay. I actually kind of liked the mascots that NBB recruited. They had fun gimmicks. And hey, Hangry Panda is voiced by Nicole Sullivan, another Kim Possible veteran. Imagine if they did an episode with her, Hardlight, Roddy Blair, and Trina.

Poor Sarah can't catch a single break.

I've kind of made my peace with the show's direction towards more comedic, shorter storytelling. Maybe it will play better to the crew's strengths and we'll get some really creative stories and visuals. I think my issue now is Fred hogging the spotlight even more than in the previous seasons. I like the idea of GoGo, Honey Lemon, and Wasabi moving on to get jobs and maybe splitting from the team. It has some emotional weight, it presents a strong message to get across, and if this is the show's last season, it might bring some finality to the series. But I get the sense that it will only result in justifying more Fred (and Hiro and Baymax) episodes. It'd be cool if we get stronger individual focus on the first trio, but we'll see.

Frontier

Staff member
This episode was okay. I actually kind of liked the mascots that NBB recruited. They had fun gimmicks. And hey, Hangry Panda is voiced by Nicole Sullivan, another Kim Possible veteran. Imagine if they did an episode with her, Hardlight, Roddy Blair, and Trina.
I did find it amusing that the mascots were Kari Wahlgren, Nicole Sullivan, and Cree Summer because they're all on DC Super Hero Girls :p.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The only other time I can think of with all 3 of them is Vampirina (with Kari as Nosy & Olga, Cree as Edna, and Nicole as Cleo).

ShadowBeast

I think my issue now is Fred hogging the spotlight even more than in the previous seasons. I like the idea of GoGo, Honey Lemon, and Wasabi moving on to get jobs and maybe splitting from the team. It has some emotional weight, it presents a strong message to get across, and if this is the show's last season, it might bring some finality to the series. But I get the sense that it will only result in justifying more Fred (and Hiro and Baymax) episodes. It'd be cool if we get stronger individual focus on the first trio, but we'll see.
I didn't even think of Fred being overused. And unfortunately, I can see it most likely happening. Writers do tend to like focusing on the dumb characters, as they are a big source of laughter, and since the show is going towards a comedic route, Fred will be shoved in more now.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in to new Big Hero 6: The Series, tonight at 7:30PM ET on Disney XD!

bzbmFQP.jpg

Big Hero 6 The Series “Mayor for a Day"
Episode Debut - September 28, 2020

Big Hero 6 responds to Richardson Mole’s every whim when he is made mayor for the day.

*Jane Lynch (“Glee”) and Sean Giambrone (ABC’s “The Goldbergs”) return as Supersonic Sue and Richardson Mole, respectively.

Big Hero 6 The Series “The Dog Craze of Summer"
Episode Debut - September 28, 2020

Hiro enlists the help of the team when Granville’s three dogs go missing while under his watch.

*Jenifer Lewis (ABC’s “black-ish”) returns as Professor Granville.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Ciara-Greece

Ok, so quick question, guys. Since we're on the subject of who's who in the hologram intro, who's going to be a villain, and all that, I just wanted to put out a couple of observations to get your opinion. Ok, so if you look in the hologram during all of season one, the main antagonist Obake never appears as one of the villains. Yet, we know he was the main man. Season 2 has Liv Amara, Hardlight and the whole crew (including the accursed Noodle boy *sigh*). But yes, the whole gang was shown. Season 3 we can see from the intro who will be featured.
Now, my theory as to why he wasn't there is that it might be because he was more of a mastermind, never putting on armor to fight the heroes in actual hand-to-hand combat like the others. So therefore, he wasn't placed up there.
Really, what I'm getting at is when, if ever, is the show's most successful villain going to return? I re-watched Season 2's ending and noticed something. Big hero 6 was worried that they might have been facing Obake again and Honey Lemon says, "I thought he was really gone." Then Fred says, "No one is ever really gone from the multiverse, unless the parent company sells the license or something."
What did he mean by that? Obake's absence from Season 3, whether it's because they are not going to place him up there with the others in the intro like in Season 1 or because they have "sold" some license, is puzzling. They keep teasing that "nothing is impossible." But that comment from Fred seemed too specific to be random. I would just like an official ruling from Disney on it. Again, to not have a concrete story arc and to switch from action-packed episodes to comedic 11-minute shorts, seems to be a strange angle to go for the show's producers. I certainly am not looking forward to Noodle burger and his horde of animatronic stooges to be the main "villains" for rest of the season and beyond. That will be tedious, no? What say you?

Last edited:

Korra_Fan

Sorry Ciara-Greece, but showrunner interviews have confirmed Obake as dead.

Also, nice to see Richardson Mole go full-on evil in this episode, it certainly suits him.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
"Mayor for a Day" was just kind of forgettable. It's another episode where Richardson Mole is a pain to the heroes. I was kind of amused that he actually sort of became the villain of the episode, even if he used his power as mayor to absolve himself of his crimes. We also finally meet the mayor. If I read the credits right, she was voiced by Jeanne Sakata, who also voiced Lenore Shimamoto. Man, remember that subplot.

"Dog Craze of Summer" was more successful. It had some good gags and the dogs were amusing and kinda cute. My favorite gag involves Steamer's appearance at the very end. My only nitpick is Hiro being a bit more jerkish than usual.

Frontier

Staff member
Mayor for a Day

It kind of amazes me that it took three seasons for us to meet the mayor of San Fransokyo. It looks like she's Japanese, which is neat :).

How do you repeal someone's face? Does that mean they can't appear in public with said face :confused:?

If you had told me Richardson Mole would end up becoming a Supervillain because Big Hero 6 jilted him, I would not be surprised. I would be surprised he'd end up giving them more of a fight than the Supersonic Duo did :oops:.

Well, on the downside all the villains of the episode basically get off scott free...but on the upside, Fred got what he really wanted and honored his family name. Of course now San Fransokyo has to deal with being transported around by an animatronic kaiju :sweat:.

The Dog Craze of Summer.

What's the one thing that could pry a teenager away from playing video games all Summer? A job that pays well :p.

Professor Granville always struck me as a dog person ;).

I guess it's not out of character for Hiro to try and take the easy way out on something he's not interested in rather than put the effort into his obligations rather than having fun (I mean, he's a teenager during Summer break). It ended about as well as to be expected :(.

Wow, I have never seen a dog look so smug :rolleyes2:.

GoGo with Honey Lemon's glasses! That was cute :anime:.

Well, Hiro divided the work, it makes sense they'd divide up the pay too. Plus Baron Von Steamer comes in for a perfect ending gag :D.

Ciara-Greece

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Big Hero 6: The Series "Mayor For A Day / The Dog Craze Of Summer"

Mayor For A Day:

That did not work. Why? Because Fred wants and values stupid things, so you cannot sympathize with him. Why should I be expected to want to see a rich, spoiled brat always get his way? What is the point of me doing that? Because I get nothing out of it.

Richardson is the Boy Who Cried Halp.

Supersonic Stu rubbing his pajamas over his body was super creepy.

A dud. *.

The Dog Craze Of Summer:

Sort of cute, but the way Fred "follows" the dog shows how dumb and annoying he is. ***1/2.

Episode Overall: **1/2.

Korra_Fan

I'm trying to remember past ones, but this one from 11 days ago keeps referring to Obake in past tense. I'd say that's some confirmation.

They also say that Obake is to the villains what Tadashi is to the heroes, a comparison that was directly made in the Season 2 finale as well, and that only works if Obake, like Tadashi, is dead.

Frontier

Staff member
They also say that Obake is to the villains what Tadashi is to the heroes, a comparison that was directly made in the Season 2 finale as well, and that only works if Obake, like Tadashi, is dead.
Well, I guess he was responsible for the main villain of the second season finale and now the third season...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in to new Big Hero 6: The Series, tonight at 7:30PM ET on Disney XD!

bzbmFQP.jpg

Big Hero 6 The Series “Trading Chips"
Episode Debut - October 5, 2020

Hiro switches Baymax’s chip with Mini-Max’s so that Baymax can rescue Mochi.

Big Hero 6 The Series “Mini Noodle Burger Max"
Episode Debut - October 5, 2020

A low-charged Baymax and Mini-Max join forces with Noodle Burger Boy to save Big Hero 6.

Comments?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Big Hero 6: The Series "Trading Chips / Mini Noodle Burger Max"

Trading Chips:

Funny stuff.

I liked Maxi-Max's dance at the end.

Nice! ****.

Mini Noodle Burger Max:

I love that Baymax and Minimax act drunk when they are low on power.

Are we due for a redemption for Noodleburgerboy at the end of the season? Maybe.

The timeline is wonky. Are we supposed to believe Baymax, Minimax, and Noodleburgerboy went all the way to Von Steamer's lair, had time for that epic fight, and time to drive the drill back to the sewers to rescue their friends in under 8 minutes? Yeah, I don't buy that.

The rest of the episode was cute though. ****.

Episode Overall: ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts