"Big Hero 6: The Series" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Welcome to the second installment of the Big Hero 6: The Series News and Discussion Thread, here on the Marvel Animation Forum! Keep up to date with any news about this animated series, and use this thread to discuss them in a civilized manner!

bzbmFQP.jpg
Big Hero 6: The Series
Season 3 premieres on Monday, September 21 at 7:30 p.m. EDT/PDT on Disney XD

Series Description:

Based on the Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award®-winning feature film, “Big Hero 6 The Series” continues the adventures and friendship of 14-year-old tech genius Hiro, his compassionate, cutting-edge robot Baymax and their friends Wasabi, Honey Lemon, Go Go and Fred as they form the legendary superhero team Big Hero 6 and embark on high-tech adventures protecting their city from an array of scientifically enhanced villains. In his normal day-to-day life, Hiro faces daunting academic challenges and social trials as the new prodigy at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology.
Each episode of the new season will feature two 11-minute stories and follow the Big Hero 6 team as they face off against Noodle Burger Boy and his team of evil mascot robots in order to protect San Fransokyo.
Cast and Crew details:
The series voice cast includes Maya Rudolph as Aunt Cass, Ryan Potter as Hiro, Scott Adsit as Baymax, Jamie Chung as Go Go, Khary Payton as Wasabi, Genesis Rodriguez as Honey Lemon and Brooks Wheelan as Fred. Returning this season is Jenifer Lewis as Professor Granville, Jane Lynch as Supersonic Sue, Horatio Sanz as El Fuego, Andy Richter as Globby, Alan Tudyk as Krei, Haley Tju as Karmi and David Shaughnessy as Heathcliff.
Season three guest voices include K-pop stars Nichkhun Horvejkul (“2PM”) as twins Dae and Hyun-Ki, one-half of boy band 4 2 Sing, and Jae Park (“DAY6”) as twins Kwang-Sun and Ye Joon, the other half of boy band 4 2 Sing; Kirby Howell-Baptiste (“Killing Eve”) as Cobra, a charming and crafty villain; and Nichole Bloom (“Superstore”) as Olivia, a passionate comic book fan.
Mark McCorkle, Bob Schooley and Nick Filippi, the team behind the Emmy Award-winning global hit Disney Channel series “Kim Possible,” serve as executive producers. The series is a production of Disney Television Animation and carries a TVY7-FV parental guideline.

Stay tuned for further developments!
Comments?

Other relevant links
:
"Big Hero 6: The Series" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

"Big Hero 6: The Series" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)
"Big Hero 6: The Series" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)
"Big Hero 6" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Continuing from the previous thread, here are the episodes scheduled to premiere in September 2020 on Disney XD:
Monday, Sept. 21
Original Series – Season Three Premiere on Disney XD
Big Hero 6 The Series “The Hyper-potamus Pizza-Party-torium”
(7:30-8:00 P.M. EDT)
Hiro and a short-handed Big Hero 6 team attempt to stop Noodle Burger Boy and his new family.
TV-Y7 FV
Monday, Sept. 28
Original Series – Episode Premiere on Disney XD
Big Hero 6 The Series “Mayor for a Day/The Dog Craze of Summer”
(7:30-8:00 P.M. EDT)
“Mayor for a Day” – Big Hero 6 responds to Richardson Mole’s every whim when he is made mayor for the day.
*Jane Lynch (“Glee”) and Sean Giambrone (ABC’s “The Goldbergs”) return as Supersonic Sue and Richardson Mole, respectively.
“The Dog Craze of Summer” – Hiro enlists the help of the team when Granville’s three dogs go missing while under his watch.
*Jenifer Lewis (ABC’s “black-ish”) returns as Professor Granville.
TV-Y7 FV

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I am disappointed that season three is going to go with the eleven minute episode format. I'm not too surprised since aside from The Owl House, I think all of the currently airing Disney Channel animated series are going for that episode format. But it's still kind of a sudden shame when I think having a longer episode length helped more in the cast's favor.

It still might work. The show is still largely episodic and while there is a bigger plot behind each season, it usually isn't the major focus of each episode. I'm just not sure how well it can work given some of the plot threads left over from season two and it's a pretty big change for what I assume is going to be the last season of the series. I hope it still works, but I'm a bit worried about it as well.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
There's also the new DuckTales which as far as I know still has half-hour long stories.

Honestly I don't really mind the format change for Big Hero 6 too much, since there might still be an over-arching story of sorts in there. Even the shows with 11 minutes long episodes occasionally have half-hour long stories (Amphibia had one recently), and the season premiere for BH6 will be like this as well. I presume there will be more such episodes throughout the season, not only the season premiere and finale.

Light Lucario

Staff member
There's also the new DuckTales which as far as I know still has half-hour long stories.

Honestly I don't really mind the format change for Big Hero 6 too much, since there might still be an over-arching story of sorts in there. Even the shows with 11 minutes long episodes occasionally have half-hour long stories (Amphibia had one recently), and the season premiere for BH6 will be like this as well. I presume there will be more such episodes throughout the season, not only the season premiere and finale.

I forgot about DuckTales given how long it has been on hiatus. Saving the half hour episodes for major events sounds pretty likely, especially when that does still happen with other shows with eleven minute episodes. I think that the format can work. Steven Universe was able to pack a lot of story and character moments pretty effectively within that episode format. Amphibia is doing pretty well with that episode length format too all things considered.

I'm just not so sure how well this will work partly because it's such a strange transition to do after two seasons. Plus, the fact that they wanted to emphasize the comedy by making this change is a bit concerning. Big Hero 6 has always had humor, but it was still more along the lines of a light hearted action series and comedy wasn't the main focus. I'm less worried about the writing quality, although there are some plot threads that I don't know how they can cover within the shorter episode lengths, and more worried about if the tone will have a noticeable change to where it feels like a different show.

ShadowBeast

Disney could easily keep the format they have now that will satisfy the action/adventure fans and go for a comedy route by keeping the show with it's full-episode stories and instead, simply making a spin-off from the chibi-shorts. I'm sure Disney wouldn't do as bad with it as Cartoon Network did.

Frontier

Staff member
Disney could easily keep the format they have now that will satisfy the action/adventure fans and go for a comedy route by keeping the show with it's full-episode stories and instead, simply making a spin-off from the chibi-shorts. I'm sure Disney wouldn't do as bad with it as Cartoon Network did.
They already did shorts for season 1 that were pretty fun. I don't think they did any for season 2 :confused:.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Again, it's not impossible to make compelling television with 11 min. episodes, but even with Steven Universe, some stories felt rushed or undercooked. Some of the show's best episodes were the ones that had some time to breathe, like Bismuth's debut.

It also doesn't help that the first few episodes don't sound that interesting at all. Just BH6 doing people's chores. The Baymax/Mini-Max chip swap might be funny, but I hope there's a major antagonist connecting things or something.

Frontier

Staff member
Again, it's not impossible to make compelling television with 11 min. episodes, but even with Steven Universe, some stories felt rushed or undercooked. Some of the show's best episodes were the ones that had some time to breathe, like Bismuth's debut.

It also doesn't help that the first few episodes don't sound that interesting at all. Just BH6 doing people's chores. The Baymax/Mini-Max chip swap might be funny, but I hope there's a major antagonist connecting things or something.
I'm also not sure how to feel about Noodle Burger Boy and a bunch of mascot robots apparently being the main villains...then again, it took them two seasons for them to actually definitively beat Noodle Burger Boy so maybe he does deserve main villain status :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
I presumed Hardlight would be the main villain for at least part of the new season (similar to how they set-up Liv in the first season), but I imagine he or his voice actor would have been mentioned in the press release if that was the case. I still kind of expect him to show up, though probably not as often as Noodle Burger Boy (who has some good moments, but for the most part I'll admit he's a bit too annoying).

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Episodes 46-50 still haven't aired here. Wow, I can't believe Hardlight doesn't appear in any of them. The cliffhanger at the end of episode 42 made me think otherwise.

AdrenalineRush1996

I feel like this show is one of them that doesn't really need to have a reduced episode length. Same with Ninjago.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10th anniversary Tangled.

Jada Pinkett Smith's new animated short "Cops and Robbers" nearly ended up on Nick rather than Netflix Jada Pinkett Smith on Police Brutality and Animated Short ‘Cops and Robbers’ (EXCLUSIVE)
What's up with Mattel's fondness with Scare Glow in new Masters of the Universe merchandise? Maybe because he's a FREAKING SKELETON THAT GLOWS IN THE DARK, which is more toyetic than a guy with just a skull for a face, like Skeletor.
I'm the only one here to have a merman as an avatar.