"Big Hero 6: The Series" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I presume they might announce a 3rd Season alongside the premiere date for Season 2, like they recently did with DuckTales.

JThree

I think the show is pretty strong, though episodes just started playing recently. The new characters are fun and exciting, and I the tone of the show is enjoyable. I am so tired of what's going on in late night super hero shows. They're way too dark and don't know how to have fun with the characters. Kari's fun and it's enjoyable the way she makes Hiro's life miserable. While Go Go and Honey Lemon are polar opposites, it would be great to have their characters have more backstories and not just revolve around the team. It would be interesting to see them go on a double date to see what kind of guys they would date.

Thank goodness for Ducktales and Big Hero Six. They're the only current shows I enjoy.

---jthree

SweetShop209

September 23rd:
Calendar | Disney Channel Press

1. If you jump to October 13, it mentions that the season finale will air from 7-8:10, meaning very little commercials given that each episode is 22 minutes long, totaling 66 minutes in the timeframe.

2. On another note, since the season finale is airing a week before Ducktales season 2 premieres, maybe if that show has a midseason hiatus, season 2 of this series could premiere in January 2019 to coincide with the season 2 premiere of Milo Murphy's Law .

September 24th:

So, I came across something very interesting. What it could mean is anyone's guess.

Mod Note: Double Post merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

spyke

So, I came across something very interesting. What it could mean is anyone's guess.

My wild guess is that they are taking a cue from the original comics and revealing that Baymax's programing is based off of that character's brain ingrams/thought patterns.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The Disney October Highlights have log-lines for the last episodes of Season 1. Apparently one of the episodes is considered a Halloween Special.

Saturday, Oct. 6
— SPECIAL HALLOWEEN EPISODE —
Original Series – Episode Premiere on Disney Channel
Big Hero 6 The Series “Obake Yashiki”
(7:00 – 7:30 A.M. EDT)
After Big Hero 6 goes to a haunted house, Hiro keeps seeing his late brother Tadashi around the city.
*Daniel Henney (“Criminal Minds”) recurs as Tadashi.
TV-Y7 FV

Saturday, Oct. 13
Original Series – Season Finale on Disney Channel
Big Hero 6 The Series “Countdown to Catastrophe”
(7:00 – 8:06 A.M. EDT)
Big Hero 6 face their greatest challenge as Obake unleashes his plan on San Fransokyo.
TV-Y7 FV

SweetShop209

I was wondering when we'd get a holiday episode, and a Halloween episode with that plot sounds good to me.

Mr.O

What's Obake's deal, with Hiro exactly? I've been watching this since day 1, and I'm still not too sure what he wants. I know his big master plan with the painting and the bay is supposed to be a mystery, I just wish they 'd convey his reason for obsessing over Hiro, a bit better, like Slade with Robin in TT.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
What's Obake's deal, with Hiro exactly? I've been watching this since day 1, and I'm still not too sure what he wants. I know his big master plan with the painting and the bay is supposed to be a mystery, I just wish they 'd convey his reason for obsessing over Hiro, a bit better, like Slade with Robin in TT.
Don't say that. They never, EVER gave Slade a concrete solid reason to obsess over Robin. I'd only want this series to make Obake / Hiro like that if I wanted it to suck.

So far they are hedging their bets with Obake's motives. Which is good. Because there won't be a ton of previous episodes contradicting them when we learn what they are.

ShadowBeast

Technically, until "Apprentice" we were never given any hints for Slade's obsession over Robin.
With Obake, either he wants Hiro as his apprentice like Slade (though the last episode makes me think that's not the case), or just wants to test Hiro's abilities, whether on if he's a threat to his plans or simply for scientific curiosity or maybe both.

Mr.O

Don't say that. They never, EVER gave Slade a concrete solid reason to obsess over Robin. I'd only want this series to make Obake / Hiro like that if I wanted it to suck.

So far they are hedging their bets with Obake's motives. Which is good. Because there won't be a ton of previous episodes contradicting them when we learn what they are.
I'll admit, I may be looking back with a tint of nostalgia, but I'd still like to know why he feels Hiro is so important. Take Granville, she had a vague interest in Hiro at the beginning, as well. Now we know exactly why, she sees a potential Obake in him. We can guess it's the same for Obake himself, but then I'd like to know why he'd care if Hiro reminded him of himself.

At least with Slade we knew he wanted Robin as an apprentice. why... who knows. But,he was obsessing over Robin because he wanted an apprentice. I still don't know if Obake wants Hiro to join him, stay out of his way, just be evil like himself for the heck of it, or simply to spite Granville.

I will say that I'd probably be okay with whatever reason they give in the final episodes, so long as it isn't any "Chosen One" nonsense.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
At least with Slade we knew he wanted Robin as an apprentice. why... who knows. But,he was obsessing over Robin because he wanted an apprentice. I still don't know if Obake wants Hiro to join him, stay out of his way, just be evil like himself for the heck of it, or simply to spite Granville.
This is off-topic but I feel I need to address it, and then I'll go back to admiring this show. But Slade most certainly did NOT want Robin as an apprentice until the very last episode of the first season. His motivations earlier in the season are completely inconsistent with that idea.

In the Pilot "Divide And Conquer", Slade tells the air at the end of the episode that "The Titans will pay!". "Great!" the viewer thought. He has a personal connection to the team that will be explored later! Except it turns out he never met or encountered any of them before.

Then in "Final Exam", he unleashes the Hive Three to destroy the Titans. No mention of sparing Robin, or a larger goal, or even why he WANTS them destroyed. He just does.

Then in "Thunder And Lightning", his motivation is simply destroying Jump City. No mention of why he wants this, or how it will help his plan of recruiting Robin, and it's totally forgotten in the finale.

I don't like this show being compared to Teen Titans because so far the ambiguities on this show are all in synch, and working in the show's favor. Teen Titans was an absolute mess of a show.

Part of the reason I give Teen Titans Go! the amount of slack I do is because half of me thinks the original series just plain sucked. I have no nostalgia factor being ruined by the reboot, so I can simply freely judge it by its merits. And it's usually admittedly a crap show. But the plots in it ,as insane as they can get, make a hell of a lot more sense than the painfully constructed "story arcs" the original series made us suffer though.

Mr.O

FINAL FINAL off topic: HA! @Fone Bone you're absolutely right! I skimmed though a few old episodes with Slade and he is indeed... just there. No motivation besides "cartoon antagonist." Nostalgia glasses at their finest. I retroactively attributed all of his actions to a reason that was very short lived. And just to be clear, I never wanted Obake to be more like Slade. Despite my childhood love of TT, I never really liked Slade too much.

Back on topic. Obake clearly has bigger plans then Hiro. Maybe Hiro is just a very small, very crucial part of his grander scheme. I do hope his exposition won't be rushed.

Getting back on topic, the Tadashi we see here is probably from a nightmare, a vision, or something involving Obake.
Going by the episode synopsis, it's likely not a dream, and therefor probably Obake's doing.

Mod Note: Double Post merged. Please use the Edit button instead of posting multiple times in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowBeast

FINAL FINAL off topic: HA! @Fone Bone you're absolutely right! I skimmed though a few old episodes with Slade and he is indeed... just there. No motivation besides "cartoon antagonist." Nostalgia glasses at their finest. I retroactively attributed all of his actions to a reason that was very short lived. And just to be clear, I never wanted Obake to be more like Slade. Despite my childhood love of TT, I never really liked Slade too much.

Back on topic. Obake clearly has bigger plans then Hiro. Maybe Hiro is just a very small, very crucial part of his grander scheme. I do hope his exposition won't be rushed.
Slade and Obake not showing any reasons for their actions isn't really a bad thing though. It just adds so much mystery to the characters. Plus before the big reveals, we know at least know that Slade and Obake's motivation was to test the protagonist.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Slade and Obake not showing any reasons for their actions isn't really a bad thing though. It just adds so much mystery to the characters. Plus before the big reveals, we know at least know that Slade and Obake's motivation was to test the protagonist.
That was not Slade's motivation at all until the end of the season. He was actually trying to destroy the Titans and the city.

This IS however Obake's motivation which is why it's holding up way better than Teen Titans ever did.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
That was not Slade's motivation at all until the end of the season. He was actually trying to destroy the Titans and the city.

This IS however Obake's motivation which is why it's holding up way better than Teen Titans ever did.

>Big Hero 6: TAS > TT2003
I almost agree with this..... Almost. I have my reasons, but I ain't gonna derail this thread to do it, honestly.

*SIGH*

Who am I kidding? It's not the absolute greatest thing on right now, but it is so much better, IMHO.

SweetShop209

When I jumped to October 20, it showed the season 1 Ducktales finale in place of the show's usual time slot. I gave it a slide since season 2 does premiere that day. However, when I jumped to October 27, it showed Milo Murphy's Law in the show's usual time slot, which I think implies that the show will only air new episodes on the main channel while reruns are on Disney XD.

Calendar | Disney Channel Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts