Big Hero 6: The Series "Fan Friction" Talkback (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Rate & Discuss this "Big Hero 6" episode!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,006 6
A Valid Location
Check out a new episode of Big Hero 6: The Series, today at 9:00AM ET on the Disney Channel!

Big Hero 6: The Series "Fan Friction"
Episode Debut - August 18th, 2018

Karmi is kidnapped by Momakase while writing Hiro-centric fan fiction.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Ratings
1,956 10
Elizabeth,NJ
Hiro's reaction at the beginning, pretty much sums up my opinion about the episode. I loved Honey Lemon's reaction about freezing the Koi pond with the poor fish still in it though. I also agree with her about it too. Most of the episode was just awkward. I just want to see Karmi find out Hiro's secret identity, just so she can see how awkward it is.

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
May 24, 2001
Ratings
I can't remember.
Fredsabi?! (I don't ship it, though if I had to choose between this and Hiro/Karmi, it's Fredsabi in a walk. I'm just amazed that they slipped that past the censors.)

Nice to see the return of the show's one non-annoying villain, even if she had to work with the most annoying of them all.

May 25, 2012
Ratings
45 2
Karmi's fanfic resolution of becoming a "Big Hero 7" member is a definite stretch that's never gonna happen, but the team really should consider actually keeping her on as a creative consultant, because she's clearly a mad genius when it comes to ideas for them.

Nice to see the return of the show's one non-annoying villain, even if she had to work with the most annoying of them all.
Not an Obake fan, I see.

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
May 24, 2001
Ratings
I can't remember.
The very end when Fred was listing different potential ships for the team: Honeyzilla, Gogosabi, Fredsabi, Honeysabi.

Not an Obake fan, I see.
I hate to get all Mindy from the Network here (cf. Bolt / Disney - TV Tropes), but...the creepy unflappable British guy manipulating everything from behind the scenes...it's been done. I mean, he is just so smug, you cannot wait for him to be brought down a couple dozen pegs.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,748 7
Framingham, MA
Big Hero 6: The Series "Fan Friction"

I liked that a lot. The chibis during the fanfiction segments were so cute. Do you know what I especially love? Hiro has several points in the episode where he can stomp on Karmi's dream and he can't bring himself to do it. That's so great.

Told you they'd come up with code names eventually. Although I'm betting Hiro's and Honey Lemon's are still a work in progress.

Speaking of Progress: Love that the show listed Fredsabi as a legitimate ship. This is how much progress society has made that they can do that now.

Good episode. ****.

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
309 3
Very nice episode.

The highlights for me were probably the animation shifts during the fan fiction segments. They just seemed so fun and lively. This was another good episode for Karmi's character. I like how she didn't even go out of her way to insult Hiro.

It's kind of strange to see a dumb, yet innocently cute fanfic get so viral. But, it was cool seeing the characters actually get some neat ideas from it.

Stupor Baymax is always funny. I still don't get how being low on energy = drunk, but it's funny either way.

Momakase is definitely one of my favorite characters, and this episode only helped that.

Am I the only one who noticed that this episode really showed off how cool honey Lemon's abilities are with chemicals? I don't know why I noticed it so much so here, seeing as she wasn't the focus here at all. I mean she made: elastic rope, sticky liquid, powerful corrosive acids, solid constructs, ice, soft bouncy constructs, and so on. It's a really good display of a chemical power set, arguably better than most comic examples, I've seen.

And lol, at Wasabi being a fan favorite.
The very end when Fred was listing different potential ships for the team: Honeyzilla, Gogosabi, Fredsabi, Honeysabi.

I hate to get all Mindy from the Network here (cf. Bolt / Disney - TV Tropes), but...the creepy unflappable British guy manipulating everything from behind the scenes...it's been done. I mean, he is just so smug, you cannot wait for him to be brought down a couple dozen pegs.
I actually like Obake's style, but I get where you are coming from. Everything seems to be falling right onto his lap, without any sign of struggle. I hope they give him more challenges soon, as well as a motive, and explain the source of his limitless resources.

May 25, 2012
Ratings
45 2
I actually like Obake's style, but I get where you are coming from. Everything seems to be falling right onto his lap, without any sign of struggle. I hope they give him more challenges soon, as well as a motive, and explain the source of his limitless resources.
Yeah, I'd have to agree here. I like his style too, but he is starting to become overplayed and the mystery angle is wearing thin. It was especially strange in this episode, since I don't quite get what he was even aiming to accomplish here: he wanted to kill Big Hero 6, but he has plans for Hiro and just assumed because Hiro's so smart that he'd find a way to survive, but for some reason didn't seem to realize that if Hiro finds a way then he'd naturally ensure that the rest of Big Hero 6 survives as well? That's pretty stupid.

This was another good episode for Karmi's character. I like how she didn't even go out of her way to insult Hiro.
The (likely intentionally) frustrating part is that she seemed eager and willing to share her passion (the fanfic) with him at the start, and if he had indulged her in that it would have probably helped with their usual dynamic, but instead he cuts her off. And you can't fully blame him because the romantic male lead in the fic is him and Karmi talking about it is awkward for him. But of course he can't tell Karmi that, so in Karmi's POV, he comes off looking like a jerk. It actually reminds me a lot of Peter Parker, where he ends up looking bad to many people in his life due to some clash between his civilian and superhero identities.

Hiro has several points in the episode where he can stomp on Karmi's dream and he can't bring himself to do it. That's so great.
The funniest part of the whole episode is when he was trying to come up with a good excuse to do so that doesn't reveal that actual reason (the awkwardness of being shipped with her in the fanfic). His last excuse, copyright infringement, complete with Lawyer Baymax, being the best.

Speaking of Progress: Love that the show listed Fredsabi as a legitimate ship. This is how much progress society has made that they can do that now.
True, but I wish they'd actually listed GogoLemon, since that seems to be the really popular one.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Ratings
1,956 10
Elizabeth,NJ
It's kind of strange to see a dumb, yet innocently cute fanfic get so viral.
Unlike fanfics in the real world, Karmi's are based around superheroes in the Big Hero 6 world. Plus Big Hero 6 are most likely popular with everyone.
Stupor Baymax is always funny. I still don't get how being low on energy = drunk, but it's funny either way.
Well Baymax does act weird when he's close to no power. Even in the film he acted funny.

Yeah, I'd have to agree here. I like his style too, but he is starting to become overplayed and the mystery angle is wearing thin. It was especially strange in this episode, since I don't quite get what he was even aiming to accomplish here: he wanted to kill Big Hero 6, but he has plans for Hiro and just assumed because Hiro's so smart that he'd find a way to survive, but for some reason didn't seem to realize that if Hiro finds a way then he'd naturally ensure that the rest of Big Hero 6 survives as well? That's pretty stupid.
Obake is interested mostly in Hiro. The episode where he sent Globby to insult Hiro and his comment about Hiro here proves this. He obviously has plans for him and is testing his abilities. The rest of BH6 are probably expendable. We are getting more out of him with each appearance, and his big plan will obviously be at the season finale.

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
309 3
I defintely agree. Although, I do believe the rest of BH6 is just collateral to Obake. But, yeah. We may need a few more episodes with legitimate vilains who aren't related to Obake in any form, if they wish to play on his mysterious presence until the finale.

The (likely intentionally) frustrating part is that she seemed eager and willing to share her passion (the fanfic) with him at the start, and if he had indulged her in that it would have probably helped with their usual dynamic, but instead he cuts her off. And you can't fully blame him because the romantic male lead in the fic is him and Karmi talking about it is awkward for him. But of course he can't tell Karmi that, so in Karmi's POV, he comes off looking like a jerk. It actually reminds me a lot of Peter Parker, where he ends up looking bad to many people in his life due to some clash between his civilian and superhero identities.
That was what I was thinking when I saw it. Had Karmi's fanfic been anything else, this would've been a great bonding moment between the two. Hiro is usually pretty eager to befriend Karmi. She's usually the jerk in their encounters. But, then again, "Small Hero One" showed that Hiro and Karmi feel that being too nice to each other is too awkward.

May 25, 2012
Ratings
45 2
Obake is interested mostly in Hiro. The episode where he sent Globby to insult Hiro and his comment about Hiro here proves this. He obviously has plans for him and is testing his abilities. The rest of BH6 are probably expendable. We are getting more out of him with each appearance, and his big plan will obviously be at the season finale.
No, I got that. What I was saying was that if he wanted to kill the rest of BH6 and save Hiro for whatever his long-term plan is, then this plan was not the way to do it because ALL of BH6 plus Karmi were locked in the same cage with the disintegration device counting down. Obake justified having Hiro locked in there too by saying he's sure Hiro is smart enough to find a way to survive. But that means that he was actually counting on Hiro devising some means of escape and then just abandoning everyone else to die.

I'm sorry, but that's just shoddy writing. Obake is supposed to be both smart and someone who has observed Hiro for some time now - he should have KNOWN that Hiro is not someone who would EVER do that. Hiro isn't someone who values his life above others', he risked his life to go save the daughter of the man who basically killed his brother, so why the heck would he abandon his best friends and the innocent victim they'd come there to save in the first place to be disintegrated? And if the point was to test him to see if he would or wouldn't abandon everyone else, then that's still stupid and senseless, since Obake should already know what the outcome would be: Hiro wouldn't. This whole scheme just reeked of filler.

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Ratings
1,956 10
Elizabeth,NJ
No, I got that. What I was saying was that if he wanted to kill the rest of BH6 and save Hiro for whatever his long-term plan is, then this plan was not the way to do it because ALL of BH6 plus Karmi were locked in the same cage with the disintegration device counting down. Obake justified having Hiro locked in there too by saying he's sure Hiro is smart enough to find a way to survive. But that means that he was actually counting on Hiro devising some means of escape and then just abandoning everyone else to die.
Killing the rest of BH6 wasn't his intention though. He knows Hiro is a genius and the leader of the group. And he would know that Hiro would need the others' help to find a way to free themselves. Like the thing with Globby insulting Hiro, Obake is testing Hiro's abilities. That was his motive for everything in this episode.
As for expecting Hiro to abandon the others, I didn't get the impression that Obake was expecting Hiro to do that (maybe the others not making it as they escaped) . He expected Hiro to definitely make it out, but nothing about abandoning the others.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Based on the clip, I wasn’t expecting this episode to be good, but it was actually pretty great. The Flash animation didn’t even hinder it, especially that fight scene with Gogo and HL vs. Momakase. Having Karmi’s fanfiction inspire the heroes to try out new moves was a nice surprise too, I wonder if she’ll help out more in the future.
As for them keeping some of their new code names, we still don’t even know Gogo, Honey Lemon, and Wasabi’s real names!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
309 3
Based on the clip, I wasn’t expecting this episode to be good, but it was actually pretty great. The Flash animation didn’t even hinder it, especially that fight scene with Gogo and HL vs. Momakase. Having Karmi’s fanfiction inspire the heroes to try out new moves was a nice surprise too, I wonder if she’ll help out more in the future.
As for them keeping some of their new code names, we still don’t even know Gogo, Honey Lemon, and Wasabi’s real names!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those weren't their real names,? :/

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I'm rewatching Justice League and I'm sort of weird ed out how old Superman looked in the earlier seasons
Yeah... I just watched the end of Peepoodo... And I wish I hadn't. If I'm considered a wuss for liking Milo Murphy's Law. Big City Greens, Summer Camp Island, Clarence, Craig of the Creek, Hilda, Harvey Beaks, Harvey Street Kids and even The Loud House - not to mention LPS (2012, 2018) SO MUCH MORE because at least those shows have some constraint to not be this gross - then I could care less what you think of me.
Yeah I'm probably not coming back
I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P