Best anime streaming resource?

Latest News & Videos

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
What do you guys prefer: Funimation's streaming site, Crunchyroll...or this new "VRV" thing that just launched a little while back?

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, but for the shows that Netflix or Hulu doesn't have...I mean, for instance, where do I go for legal streaming episodes of Dragon Ball Super?

And what has the better pool of episodes - Crunchyroll, Funimation, or VRV?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Crunchyroll tends to have more subbed than dubbed anime, although they do have a few dub series available on their. Hulu and from what I can tell of Funimation's site have a good balance of subbed and dubbed anime titles. I haven't tried VRV yet, so I can't compare it. The videos wouldn't load for me when I tried it.

I used to have a lot of problems with Crunchyroll's video player, but after they finally updated it a few months ago, I haven't had any problems. I think Crunchyroll has a larger anime library than Hulu does, but both Hulu and Funimation's website have more dubbed anime available, so it depends on weather you want to see an anime dubbed or subbed.

Golden Geek

Gera Gera Po
VRV is the best deal. For $9.99 a month you get Crunchyroll's catalog and HIDIVE's catalog. Crunchyroll has an extensive catalog and plenty of simulcasts every season (and yes, they do have Dragon Ball Super), mostly subtitled, while HIDIVE has Sentai Filmworks' entire catalog, dubbed and subtitled, with old favorites and new hits from Ninja Scroll to Made in Abyss.

Mandouga

I have to disagree. While they do have a variety of shows available, for new shows, lately, they've been getting too many late night shows. Long story short, fans aren't the only ones who watch Crunchyroll. They really need to start getting some variety going. I think Bonobono, and The Journey Home are currently the only shows that are currently airing in Japan that Crunchyroll has that aren't just for the fans (well, there's GeGeGe no Kitaro, and Detective Conan/Case Closed, but in both cases, that's another story). Now, I know that not all late night shows are just for older viewers, but a number of them seem to be, while for other shows, it isn't clear if they are or not. Is Funimation, or HIDIVE any better? That I can't say, especially, since HIDIVE is subscription-only. VRV is a collection of streaming sites, so that's not quite the same thing, even if they do have their own VRV Premium service (which doesn't have anime as far as I know).

What do I think is the best streaming resource for anime? The best answer I can give is that it depends on what you're looking for.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Crunchyroll tends to have more subbed than dubbed anime, although they do have a few dub series available on their. Hulu and from what I can tell of Funimation's site have a good balance of subbed and dubbed anime titles. I haven't tried VRV yet, so I can't compare it. The videos wouldn't load for me when I tried it.

I used to have a lot of problems with Crunchyroll's video player, but after they finally updated it a few months ago, I haven't had any problems. I think Crunchyroll has a larger anime library than Hulu does, but both Hulu and Funimation's website have more dubbed anime available, so it depends on weather you want to see an anime dubbed or subbed.
Hulu isn't user friendly and searching for anime on there is a pain. Also, dubbing is still a fairly recent development for Crunchyroll shows anyway.

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
I alternate my streaming services in general (except Hulu which Keep every month) VRV came in handy to combine Crunchy Roll and Funimation and now HI-Dive so that's good a catalog for a nice tidy price, and Funimation is good too.

Hulu isn't user friendly and searching for anime on there is a pain. Also, dubbing is still a fairly recent development for Crunchyroll shows anyway.
Hulu is relatively easy I use their genre section and press anime.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I alternate my streaming services in general (except Hulu which Keep every month) VRV came in handy to combine Crunchy Roll and Funimation and now HI-Dive so that's good a catalog for a nice tidy price, and Funimation is good too.

Hulu is relatively easy I use their genre section and press anime.
Also, Hulu now wants you to pay for ad-supported content. No thanks. They no longer have a free browser ad-supported version. Crunchyroll has free and premium choices. That alone makes Crunchyroll superior for anime titles.

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Also, Hulu now wants you to pay for ad-supported content. No thanks. They no longer have a free browser ad-supported version. Crunchyroll has free and premium choices. That alone makes Crunchyroll superior for anime titles.
Hulu's been like that for years , their freeview stuff is on Yahoo's view site (view.yahoo.com) they have anime on that too. In terms of selection I think Crunchyroll knocks Hulu out on that.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Hulu's been like that for years , their freeview stuff is on Yahoo's view site (view.yahoo.com) they have anime on that too. In terms of selection I think Crunchyroll knocks Hulu out on that.
Hulu's freeview content used to be on...Hulu.