Best and Worst of Nickelodeon: 2010's Edition

Asa

Since the 2010's will come to an end this Tuesday, I decided to create one last best and worst of Nickelodeon thread for this decade.

What were the best and worst stuff Nickelodeon did this decade?

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
Best: Harvey Beaks. (The show, not it’s treatment of it) It was the closest Nick came to Adventure Time which Nick famously rejected.

Worst: Their whole attitude towards animation. This decade has shown that compared to other networks and services, Nick has the least amount of respect for animation as an art form. Everyone else put out several shows that are artistic visually, narratively, and auditorily and the handful of ones Nick did have were poorly managed, I don’t want just animated sitcoms like the Loud House. They really needed to take animation seriously in the 2010’s because with streaming taking off, they likely won’t have that kind of chance again.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Best: Rise of the TMNT and Harvey Beaks

Worst: Everything else.

Cartoon Ruler

Best: Harvey Beaks, Kung Fu Panda: LOA, TMNT 2012, Rise of the TMNT, and I guess The Loud House and The Casagrandes. Also, some of the revivals/reboots they've done like Double Dare, Blues Clues & You (though I don't really like how most episodes are just rehashes from the original series), and the Hey Arnold!, Rocko, and Zim reunion specials.

Middle: Sanjay & Craig (seasons 2 & 3 are) and T.U.F.F. Puppy (the most tolerable out of Hartman's 2010s works).

Worst: Basically everything else they've done. Seriously, I can't find one legitimately good thing Nick has done this decade. From their awful treatment of many of their shows (especially on the animation side) and creators, to their asinine repetitive schedules, to their sudden favoritism of unscripted reality shows, to them actually STEALING fanart, I really have to wonder why so many people still watch and defend this terrible network. I'm sorry, but Nick really is one of the worst networks on the air right now and overall an awful company. Here's hoping it gets better in the 2020s, but as of now, my point still stands.

As for shows, I'm counting The Adventures of Kid Danger, Planet Sheen, Wild Grinders, and most of Nick's live-action series.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
My watching of Nickelodeon was limited this decade. If we don't count the awesome Rocko's Modern Life movie because it went to Netflix I can do the best and worst that I saw pretty easily.

Best:

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Amazing cartoon because it shouldn't work and somehow does. It rejects every major part of the Turtle canon and that's why I love it. The Turtle canon as a whole sucks, especially if you try to get to everything like 2012 did. Rise is fast and funny and doesn't really want to do much more than entertain us. It's also weird how the 2-D animation must be much less expensive than 2012's CGI, but it looks and animates SO much better.

Double Dare Relaunch. Some game show hosts simply "Have It". In that they are more entertaining and fun to watch than the show itself. Bob Barker. Regis Philbin. They "Have It". Their game shows were nothing without them. Because they "Had It". Pat Sajax, Alex Trebek, and Chuck Woolery do not Have It. Marc Summers Has It, and the weird thing is that his magnetic personality in the most fun thing about a show where kids throw pies at each other to win prizes. True he isn't the host this time (that would be the obnoxious Liza Koshi). But his role of announcer and Elder Statesman means the show is addictive in a way the last couple of relaunches were not.

Worst:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012:

Everything a TV cartoon CAN do wrong, this did wrong. The character designs were ugly, and despite the big budget, everything looked cheap in an empty New York, and the writing was outright terrible. Worse, the Turtles were outright unlikable and incompetent. It wasn't four Ninjas. It was the Three Stooges and Roger Rabbit. The show was literally so bad that the last episode ended with the world being destroyed due to their incompetence, and them spending the rest of the future apocalypse getting every single one of their remaining allies killed because they were so irresponsible. And the producers thought that was a swell note to leave us off on. This isn't just one of the worst Nick cartoons of the decade. It's one of the worst cartoons of the decade period.

Power Rangers:

I took a break from this show for about 10-15 years and went back to it in some of the Nick Seasons. It's not only as bad as I remember. It's much worse. Which is saying something. This show has been on the air for 30 years. It should not still be as bad as it is. It is literally the only franchise I can think of that old that has not improved at ALL.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
The only things I enjoyed this decade were Legend of Korra and Victorious, both of which had their flaws but were overall entertaining. I tried getting into Harvey Beaks, but almost fell asleep. I will try again next decade.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A202F met Tapatalk

Ghoster1987

howdy
Best: harvey beaks, loud house, tmnt 2012, legend of korra

Worst: everything how they treated their animated shows from greenlighting medicore to terrible shows to screwing anything that's good

I would blame the execs and Cyma there for basically sitting on their a**** doing nothing to improve so they can make a quick buck by screwing shows over and draining the sponge to the ground. I also wouldn't be suprised if some of them hate/ don't care about kids and one of them is an actual child beater or molester or even killed a child and dumping the body to a ditch. All they care about is money. And i DEFINITELY wouldn't be suprised if all of them were "big-nosed" if you know what i mean

Like seriouly that's the kind of exec thinking that kills companies like toys r us and what killed half of the major music industry in the past 20 years

I hope the next decade will see a big improvement from them and thanks to viacom and cbs re-merging and new management

PLEASE for the sake of humanity

Last edited:

Spacething7474

Little Deviants is NINE years old now!?!
Minnesota. Or maybe Wisconsin. Or maybe Iowa.
BEST:
Every Nicktoon introduced was great (minus Loud House/Casagrandes/Wayne).

The sitcoms are some of the best they’ve ever had (minus Cousins For Life, which is the only Nick sitcom I consider below average).

Acquisitions like Rabbids, Wild Grinders, LEGO City Adventures, Oggy and the Cockroaches, Get Blake!, LEGO Jurassic World, ALVINNN!!!, and Rocket Monkeys.

The Nick website and the Nicktoons website were fantastic.

The Nick app having the ability to play games from Nick.com (before December 2018 happened).

The branding for Nicktoons, TeenNick (before January 2019), and Nick (before March 2017) are some of the best branding they've ever had.

WORST:
Nick.com shutting down everything just for the app, while simultaneously making the app WORSE.

Telenovela-styled shows like WITS Academy, Every Witch Way, Bureau Of Magical Things, and I Am Frankie.

Having no sitcoms in 2017 and 2019, the first time that happened since 2002.

Burning off almost every Nicktoon this decade.

The unscripted series they aired are pretty boring.

Merch since 2014 having a very distracting logo, the 2017 Nickelodeon Productions closing logo and branding as a whole is pretty meager.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Best: Harvey Beaks. (The show, not it’s treatment of it) It was the closest Nick came to Adventure Time which Nick famously rejected.

Worst: Their whole attitude towards animation. This decade has shown that compared to other networks and services, Nick has the least amount of respect for animation as an art form. Everyone else put out several shows that are artistic visually, narratively, and auditorily and the handful of ones Nick did have were poorly managed, I don’t want just animated sitcoms like the Loud House. They really needed to take animation seriously in the 2010’s because with streaming taking off, they likely won’t have that kind of chance again.

I have noticed that is an idea almost everyone can agree with, that Nick is the worst platform for animation and even the shows people are talking about as being good like Rise of the TMNT or Harvey Beaks were shipped off to Nicktoons, so it seems like anything good they have done lately has been mistreated.

They passed on Adventure Time and aired Sanjay and Craig and Fanboy and Chum Chum.
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Amazing cartoon because it shouldn't work and somehow does. It rejects every major part of the Turtle canon and that's why I love it. The Turtle canon as a whole sucks, especially if you try to get to everything like 2012 did. Rise is fast and funny and doesn't really want to do much more than entertain us. It's also weird how the 2-D animation must be much less expensive than 2012's CGI, but it looks and animates SO much better.

Worst:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012:

Everything a TV cartoon CAN do wrong, this did wrong. The character designs were ugly, and despite the big budget, everything looked cheap in an empty New York, and the writing was outright terrible. Worse, the Turtles were outright unlikable and incompetent. It wasn't four Ninjas. It was the Three Stooges and Roger Rabbit. The show was literally so bad that the last episode ended with the world being destroyed due to their incompetence, and them spending the rest of the future apocalypse getting every single one of their remaining allies killed because they were so irresponsible. And the producers thought that was a swell note to leave us off on. This isn't just one of the worst Nick cartoons of the decade. It's one of the worst cartoons of the decade period.

I will say TMNT canon does not make sense and you have to pick and choose, even the Mirage comics did not make sense at certain points (half of the first volume was declared non-canon, because it devolved into self-parody and volume 3 was declared non-canon as soon as it ended). The Archie comics likely had stronger continuity and is likely the best ''serious'' take you could have had with the 87 TMNT cartoon.

Well, you clearly enjoy Rise of the TMNT radical new approach to the 2012 approach of taking elements from the Mirage comics and the 87 cartoon and trying to weave them together.

RainbowCupcake

Oh shut up you're so annoying!
Best: SpongeBob having a "renaissance" era, Harvey Beaks, The Loud House because at least Nick can focus heavily on something other than SpongeBob, Victorious (I consider it the last "good" Dan Schneider show).

Worst: Ooh...how can I choose? There are so many choices...
I think I have to agree with the others and say that the attitude Nick has adopted towards animation this decade has to be the #1 worst thing. The channel used to be the best place for cartoons and now they have only have, what, four animated shows that are currently running? (assuming It's Pony doesn't migrate to Nicktoons). Not to mention that one show is a spin-off of another show...

All kidding aside, I hope that Nickelodeon can find some sort of "theme" in the 2020s and get back on track to being one of the greatest kids' channels ever created.

Johntoonfan05

Best: Harvey Beaks, Rise of the TMNT, The Loud House, The Casagrandes,

Worst: Sanjay and Craig, Breadwinners, Spongebob overtaking the Nicktoons Channel and not Cancelled Fairly Oddparents Seasons 9 and 10 (I don't like Both Sparky and Chloe cause they both killed the Show and didn't give us a Proper Ending)

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

Best:
The Loud House
Lego Jurassic World- This is a cute show and it's the closest we'll ever get of a Jurassic Park cartoon.

Middle: (These had so much good as well as bad)
The Casagrandes- I like some of the characters, especially Sid, but there's some really annoying characters like Carl that hurts the show for me. Plus, I like it better when Ronnie Anne had a bit of a tough attitude that she had in the Loud House.

Fairly OddParents 10th season- Despite the terrible writing, I think Chloe was an excellent addition to the show.

TMNT 2012- The show started off great, but jumped the shark in the last couple of seasons.

Worst:
Rise of the TMNT

Nickelodeon's treatment of shows that are not Spongebob

Spongebob overtaking the station

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
THIS is gonna be too all far easy for me, sadly...

BEST:
* Harvey Beaks
* Welcome to the Wayne
... And that's it.

MIDDLING:
* The Loud House
(I only really enjoy it when the focus is on the sisters (Particularly Leni, Luna, Lucy, and the Twins.), and sometimes the parents (Rita & Lynn Sr.); Lincoln and Clyde just annoy me to DEATH.)
* The Casagrandes (Sid & Ronnie Anne >>>>>>>>>>>>> Lincoln & Clyde; too bad Ronnie Anne's family isn't that interesting without her to spice things up; it starts out much better than ANYTHING in TLH Season 1, however.)
* Sanjay & Craig (it could have been a good show, minus the gross-out / vulgar humor & with some actual character development in their place, of course. Seasons 2 & 3 did show some potential to do THAT, too.)

WORST:
* EVERYTHING ELSE.
1) All-around BAD Scheduling of EVERYTHING.
2) Not giving any of their shows a chance (especially Harvey Beaks and Welcome to the Wayne! IT. STILL. HURTS!)
3) TOO. MUCH. SPAMMING. ALL. AROUND (you know what I'm talking about - whether you like these shows or not.)
4) Insipid Live-action ALL AROUND.
5) Not greenlighting anything else that could have been truly good (there's a whole plethora of YouTube joints from Nick that could and should be shows by now, honestly.).

Overall, this channel is WHACK and will never beat CN or Disney at what they do, as is (repeat that ad verbatim!).

Happy new decade.

Last edited:

PaintbrushofMagic

I have a world to paint!
Best: Harvey Beaks and TMNT 2012

Worst: Treatment of HB, The "Spongebob Standard", no experimentation, relying on same creators/old formulas, trying to follow trends and be "hip" (I'm looking at you "Watch Me" ad), spamming Spongebob, being impatient with shows, and outright disregarding the hard work of its creators.

If this keeps up, Nick won't have a leg to stand on.

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
Best : Harvey Beaks (should have ran longer but best) , The Loud House ( First Nick show I've adored in years) , The Casagrandes, Hunter Street (yeah I'll put that here, it was some of their best live-action stuff in years) Bringing back some game shows , glad they want to have game shows again, their revival stuff was good.

Middle : I like their experimentation on the telenovelas at least it was something different some what enjoyable. Their sitcoms were other wise kind of weaker. So of the good ones they had were better than Dan Schneider's this decade like 100 things to do before High School, The Thundermans , that one show from Canada (Max and Shred).

Worst: Their weird problem of not letting other animated shows grow. (I do worry they might over do it with the Loud House, and run it into ground instead of letting it end at a good point) Their scheduling of things badly. Letting things run into the ground . Letting Teenick and Nicktoons kind of just wither on the vine. (That might be Viacom problem)

My favorite moments of the decade were Rags and Wallykazam and the worst was reruns of 1996-06 Blue's Clues being removed in favor of little-known rubbish shows like Sunny Day, Nella The Princess Knight and Junie B. Jones

The Overlord

Best : Harvey Beaks (should have ran longer but best) , The Loud House ( First Nick show I've adored in years) , The Casagrandes, Hunter Street (yeah I'll put that here, it was some of their best live-action stuff in years) Bringing back some game shows , glad they want to have game shows again, their revival stuff was good.

Middle : I like their experimentation on the telenovelas at least it was something different some what enjoyable. Their sitcoms were other wise kind of weaker. So of the good ones they had were better than Dan Schneider's this decade like 100 things to do before High School, The Thundermans , that one show from Canada (Max and Shred).

Worst: Their weird problem of not letting other animated shows grow. (I do worry they might over do it with the Loud House, and run it into ground instead of letting it end at a good point) Their scheduling of things badly. Letting things run into the ground . Letting Teenick and Nicktoons kind of just wither on the vine. (That might be Viacom problem)

With scheduling being a common complaint, maybe Nickelodeon would be better off developing new animated properties for streaming rather than their network, where scheduling is not an issue.

ToonsJazzLover

+Their animated content is still watchable And the best part of the network. Admittedly, NickAnimation has been in a renaissance since 2015, but poor treatment of them are still preventing them from making Nick great again +Brian Robbins becoming the new president of the network. That Iranian witch needed to be gone after harming the channel for some long. I believe Brian will make Nickelodeon great again
+I love the 2017 rebrand for many reasons, it’s so unique and lively. Although the purple is a weird color to pair up with orange
+As overboard as they gotten with nostalgia, I don’t mind most of their revivals. They have been very faithful for the originals.
+The Nicktoons channel was it’s peak during the early 2010s. Especially schedule and rating wise. Now it’s a shell of it’s former self
+Dan Schneider and Butch Hartman leaving was for the best. Nick has always depend on these guys for so long that they forgot they have other creators.
+/- NickRewind block. A blessing a curse in disguise. Great idea but in the end, they can only air a limited amount of shows.
+/- Milking SpongeBob for all it’s worth. The Spongebob hype has gotten so bad this year. Ordering spin-offs, like why? That’s not the best way to start off a new era
- The really awful treatment for most shows especially cartoons. Even hardcore Nick fans like me can agree on one thing. The cartoons got hit so badly that The Loud House is the only one to compete with SpongeBob.
-The Sitcoms from this decade, for the most part, has been pandering and cliched. Compared to Disney, I don’t feel like they’re trying anymore. But who knows? With Schneider gone, we might have decent sitcoms again.
-Trying to use Internet people on Television. Adding them just fee out of place. Unfortunately none of this wouldn’t happen if it wasn’t for iCarly’s Fred episode
-Hyping JoJo Siwa like she’s the best thing to happen to them. I mean she’s also an Internet sensation, but she already had made TV appearances. It’s just that Nick’s favoritism of her was really bad during mid 2017-early 2019.
-Scheduling is a mess, especially later on in the decade (except NickJr). Most shows get canned because of irregular timeslot.
-Speaking of preschool, most of them this decade only exist to sell toys, especially Paw Patrol and girly shows
-Poor marketing skills. Yeah they pander too much to the demographics especially memes
-Boring branding during the first half (too much white)

Everyone has summed it up on the channel the last 10 years. It’s Nick’s weakest decade ever, but they still have their redeeming qualities. Best year was 2016, worst year was 2014.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
With scheduling being a common complaint, maybe Nickelodeon would be better off developing new animated properties for streaming rather than their network, where scheduling is not an issue.
They gotta at least make new cartoons for their channel in addition to ones for streaming.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Vuxovich wrote on 5YearsOnEastCoast's profile.
Just compare Xiaolin Chronicles' voice acting to the voice acting of this show. I can't believe someone in the 2010s was inspired by a 1990s obscurity. Apparently not a good sign. How about that?
If there was ever a character like this, I think she'd be a fan favorite.

The mystery of catnip solved!

That article fascinated me and I don't even own a cat!

Iyuno Media Group Enters Agreement to Acquire SDI Media

For those who don't know, Iyuno and SDI Media are two of the world's major localization companies and their job is to dub cartoons in various languages around the world. What say you?

Featured Posts