Best and Worst of Cartoon Network/Boomerang: 2010's Edition

Asa

Because we are heading into the new decade this Wednesday, I made the final best and worst thread for this decade.

What were the best and worst things Cartoon Network and Boomerang did this decade?

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Best: Several of their new shows, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Infinity Train, Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart Heart, etc.

Worst: Annoying Orange, Pokémon being moved to Disney XD

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Best: UG/SMFA, Clarence, Mixels, Incredible Crew, Robotomy, Ben 10 Omniverse, RS, A&O, acquisitions like Ninjago, Annoying Orange, Teen Titans Go!, Sonic Boom, and Be Cool Scooby-Doo!, using Mondays and Thursdays for premieres, Cartoon Planet’s revival.

Worst: Moving games off of the CN app, losing the 10PM and 9PM hours, Boomerang still being mostly pointless, How lame the scheduling was during various parts of 2017, the removal of live-action shows (yes I’m counting this).

Last edited:

Johntoonfan05

Best: Adventure Time, Craig of the Creek, Apple and Onion, Infinity Train being a Show, Victor and Valentino, Regular Show, OK KO, Amazing World of Gumball Steven Universe, Acquisitions of Ninjago and Young Justice, Mixels.

Worst: High Frutcsoce Adventures of Annoying Orange, Uncle Grandpa, Be Cool Scooby Doo, Teen Titans GO! (And it's Movie) (And destroying the Cartoon Network schedule which made me mad) 2016 Powerpuff Girls and 2016 Ben 10

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Best: Quite a lot, actually. Some really great stuff this decade. My favorites include:
-The Amazing World of Gumball
-Adventure Time
-Steven Universe
-Over the Garden Wall
-Infinity Train
-Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart
-Apple and Onion

Worst: How the network began to rely on reboots (PPG: 2016 being the worst, imo), TTG! and Gumball engulfing the schedule, Boomerang becoming deader by the year, certain shows like:
-Secret Mountain Fort Awesome
-The Annoying Orange
-*cough*TheProblemSolverz*cough*
-All the reboots
-Victor and Valentino

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
BEST: A nice plethora of shows to check out - CN just about killed it in this department, too (but for me, it's: Adventure Time, Regular Show, Craig of the Creek, Clarence, Gumball (in its earlier seasons (pretty much 1 to 4 are its best), Bunnicula, OKKO, Mao Mao: HPH, Over the Garden Wall, Infinity Train, Unikitty!, We Bare Bears, etc.)

MIDDLING:
* Summer Camp Island
(it's growing on me, though; heck, I found a great antagonist in Suzie, for example.)
* DC Super Hero Girls 2019 (Young Justice just TKOs this show in every sense that matters; I'm glad YJ still going, as well to show me what quality superheroes truly are, as well.)

DISAPPOINTMENTS:
* Unikitty getting canned after about only 2 seasons
(It actually is CN's funniest show now, IMHO.)
* Mighty Magiswords (this show was a hot mess whose only strength is that it looked pretty... Also, you call that an ending?! EEEEWWWW.)
* Gumball's decline in writing quality and lack of a decent ending (I used to consider it CN's funniest show before Unikitty! came along... Not anymore, especially after how most of Seasons 5 and 6 turned out for the worst! UGH.)
* Uncle Grandpa (starts out funny, but loses its touch much too quickly.)
* TTG! (it could have been actually funny and not insulting, obviously.)
* Steven Universe (I like the concept, but the execution, in terms of characters and storytelling, leaves me cold and annoyed, which makes me sad because I WANT to ACTUALLY like this show, dang-it! Greg is BEST character, though.)
* Apple & Onion (*SIGH* It's just an inferior Regular Show clone to me... I just can't get into, it as a result.)
* OKKO getting canned after 3 great seasons (*OUCH* it still stings! Even if it did give itself a decent ending, plus, I liked it much more than SU, honestly.)
* Victor and Valentino (nuff' said!)
* All These reboots of Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry/MGM don't do anything for me like I'd hoped (I prefer OCCASSIONALLY (because I'm NOT a nostalgia-obsessed person. At all!) just watching the classics of these 2 once great regimes, instead.)

WORST:
* CN's mistreatment of pure ACTION cartoons in general
(Sym-Bionic Titan, GL:TAS, Justice League Action, Young Justice, Beware the Batman, Any new Ben 10 joints before that cruddy reboot, Generator Rex --- it still stings pretty hard! At least Adult Swim/Toonami are giving action fare more of a chance. Still, so should CN!)
* All these other below acceptable Reboots that are worse than TTG! (specifically Ben 10, which has suffered enough - and PPG2016 (for simply just being downright terrible!)).
* The scheduling is still pretty BAD (and streaming becoming the new thing isn't an excuse anymore, either. It's just a crutch from the truth! Don't fill your sched with just 2-3 shows. It's LAME.)
* They're still signing off much too early (they should be signing off at 10PM (not 8 or 9), as Adult Swim is NOT doing anything good/special with those hours, honestly.)

ToonsJazzLover

+ They made one of the biggest comeback ever in the early 2010s. Think about it, live action was killing the network in 2009, and the executives had no choice but to return to their roots
+ Their 20th anniversary. Wish I saw more of it if I wasn’t so busy with school at the time. They even brought back Cartoon Planet, and air various of old shows.
+ They still had tons of variety from 2010-early 2014. If you look up the schedule from those years, they aired a mix of old and new shows
+ Getting rid of live-action originals. It was the best decision they done and made a progress
+ CNStudios still mostly produce original shows. I wish people notice that instead of complaining about endless reboots even though there’s only 3 reboots from them (TTG is Warner Bros)
+/- Stu Snyder's departure and being succeed by Christina Miller. It was bittersweet since he actually made CN good again, but since Miller took over the management has been hit or miss
+/- They basically stopped caring about the scheduling and started relying on the app. Nothing against Miller, but I notice this started to come in play the moment she became President
- The TTG spam/favoritism was its worst during the mid-2010s. Don’t get me started with “Your new favorite show.” This is what happen when people watched the show out of curiosity. While they’re not as bad as they were now, I’m not sure why they use Beast Boy as the face of CN
-Their shows need a more distinct art style/influence. Way too many of them are inspired by Adventure Time/Regular Show in some way
-Ditching anime, especially Pokemon.
-Poor treatment of third party shows in general. Not surprised they shafted to weekend early mornings

Like many people are saying, CN had an interesting decade. It was like a rollercoaster to them. In my opinion, 2010-2013 were their best years, while 2015-2017 were their worst years.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts