"Ben 10 (2016 Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Yup, Cartoon Network is launching a new Ben 10 series in 2016, and from the wording, it sounds like a reboot.

The cable outlet, part of Time Warner's Turner, plans to introduce a new version of the popular animated series, which debuted in 2006 and chronicled the adventures of Ben Tennyson, a ten-year-old boy who discovers an alien device known as the Omnitrix that gives him the power to change into various aliens. Cartoon Network Studios will produce the new series, which will debut on Cartoon Network international channels in the fall of 2016 and in North America in 2017. Man of Action, the original production team behind the series, will serve as executive producer and John Fang will be supervising producer.

Unfortunately, I never got into Ben 10, but any action toon that CN airs is a good thing.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I'm quite sure this reboot will be just as bad as Ultimate Alien and Omniverse :/

And in most of Europe they still have to air the last 10 episodes of Omnverse. I think it's more popular over here than it is in America, so they don't want to air all episodes at once.
I hope they will repeat all Ben 10 episodes before starting with the fifth series in 2016, because I'd like to see Alien Force again! They did the same when Omnverse premiered.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Nice to see that CN is getting some action.
Nice to also see Europe will be getting it first.
But then I look at the image and I see another Teen Titans GO!
Can't CN at least once, after all those years, create something that looks and feels mature? They advertise everything as PG, yet their originals look as Y/Y7 at best.
Why can't we get another cartoon that looks like something from the 80s/90s?
Why do even the designs have to look so childish?
I want an action cartoon adults could enjoy as well.
The new Thundercats or Korra look exactly as what I have in mind. Sadly both are terrible when it comes to writing and pace.
Not even Adult Swim/Toonami has anything. Just imports. Sad.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Well, everything that's Ben 10 has always been rated TV-Y7 FV.

But it's very surprising that CN's getting back into action, even if it's just Ben 10.

Checkerboard

Yeah. My complaint was more general and getting at the fact that action CN shows from the 90s were actually action and not comedy with action. And also the visual side. The only new western "action" shows I was able to watch recently were Korra, Thundercats, TMNT, SW: Rebels. Everything else is just... ugh. There's so much potential wasted.

DonkeyKongSong

I can't say I'm too surprised. I knew they couldn't let it stay dead. It does so well in international markets and I'm sure the merchandise makes them a fortune.

Jazz1000

Evil PLANS...
i'm not surprised that there going with this direction for Ben 10.
i'll wait and see before judging about it,

Checkerboard

And also one other thing I find kind of... upsetting. Why Ben 10? No, I get it. It sells. But again, why Ben 10? Is that the only thing CN can think of? It ended quite recently. Can't we have a different original series instead? Seems CN has no confidence with all these reboots. Disney and Nick do a much better job with new IPs IMHO.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Nice to see that CN is getting some action.
Nice to also see Europe will be getting it first.
But then I look at the image and I see another Teen Titans GO!
Can't CN at least once, after all those years, create something that looks and feels mature? They advertise everything as PG, yet their originals look as Y/Y7 at best.

To be fair, Ben 10 has always been kind of 'kiddie'; part of why the franchise has endured for so long is due to the success of the toy line and assorted merch, and it's primary target has always been kids.

Why can't we get another cartoon that looks like something from the 80s/90s?

Because it's 2015. The 80's/90's are in the past; it's best not to live there. CN tried producing a show with a 'pulp' retro look to it, The Secret Saturdays, and a lot of kids ignored it because to them it looked too much like "an old show from the 70's".

Why do even the designs have to look so childish?

Because it's a kids' show airing on a kids' network.

I want an action cartoon adults could enjoy as well.

Judging by how active the talkbacks usually get, some adults do enjoy Ben 10.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I can't say I'm too surprised. I knew they couldn't let it stay dead. It does so well in international markets and I'm sure the merchandise makes them a fortune.
Ben 10 and PPG are the only CN originals with merchandising in Belgium, but to be fair, it's really not that much. Most toy shops don't sell any CN stuff at all.

I remember I had to go to Brussels to buy that Ben 10 watch from the original series. (I was 9 years old when it premiered over here)

Mister Mayhem

Banned
Comates,

I think everyone knew it was going to be rebooted but I didn't expect it to happen so soon. I'm not really digging the new design of Ben so I hope that's just concept art. I also hope they don't have Gwen and Ben constantly bickering like in the original series.

Checkerboard

Yet apparently kids can watch original Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry. Makes sense? Not sure. Maybe it was the show itself for trying too hard to be retro. Dunno. I'm talking mainly about visuals, though. Korra is what I'd like to see, yet it's not retro and did great. Even something that looks like Cartoon Cartoons would suffice. It's for kids, too, but doesn't look that way.

Please explain to me why it looks even more childish than the original? Not just Ben 10, but all new incarnations/reboots. Even CN's new look. Seriously. I've been trying to understand this trend for some time now. Why do they take everything and make it smaller and cuter? What am I missing? Do kids really want this or do they think they want this? And it's just a few year apart. If this trend continues, what are we going to get 2-3 generations down the line? It's like they're turning everything into A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Baby Looney Tunes or the Flintstone Kids.

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
I can't say that I'm surprised. Ben 10 was always such a smash hit and I really like the series...but after how divisive the last three series were, I'm really unsure how they can pull this off without ticking everyone off again. I'm not really on board with Ben's redesign either, but I'll probably get used to it eventually.

Rhaynebow

Pass. I was a big fan of those bland AF and UA days cause of my (apparently poor) tastes in animation. This show sounds like it'll be combining the atmosphere of Omniverse with the first series, and I wasn't a fan of either.

But I suppose it's better than Johnny Test.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Please explain to me why it looks even more childish than the original? Not just Ben 10, but all new incarnations/reboots. Even CN's new look. Seriously. I've been trying to understand this trend for some time now. Why do they take everything and make it smaller and cuter? What am I missing? Do kids really want this or do they think they want this? And it's just a few year apart. If this trend continues, what are we going to get 2-3 generations down the line? It's like they're turning everything into A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Baby Looney Tunes or the Flintstone Kids.

You got all of that from just one image? That's a bit of an overreaction, I think.

Anyways, I was never a Ben 10 fan, but I couldn't stand Alien Force. It was so boring and Teenage Ben was far too bland for my tastes. Sure, 10-year-old Ben could be annoying at times, but he at least had a character. Teenage Ben was as dull as dishwater. I never watched Ultimate Alien nor Omniverse.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a kid focused cartoon being light hearted and having cutesy looking characters, but that's just me.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
I have not seen this mentioned yet. At Kidscreen, it says that Playmates has been appointed master toy licensee for Ben 10. I guess they want to be known for more action figures than just the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and it is surprising not to see Bandai get the master toy licensee status.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I am actually pretty surprised by this news. While I knew that Ben 10 was pretty successful with international audiences, the way Cartoon Network burned off the rest of Omniverse gave more of the impression that they just wanted get the series over with rather than start a new series in a couple of years. At least from the sound of it, the new series is a reboot, which is good in a sense. I couldn't see them making another series set in the same universe after Omniverse ended. The problem is that I never liked ten year old Ben. He was so annoying. I'd take "dull" Ben from the first two seasons of Alien Force over ten year old Ben, as well as Ben from Omniverse for that matter. At least he acted like years of fighting villains had an effect on him and he had more maturity, so there was more of a point to make him older. By the time Omniverse started, Ben wasn't much different from ten year old Ben in terms of maturity, which made it seemingly pointless to make him a teenager. Having more personality is not necessarily a good thing if that personality is annoying and unlikable.

That's one reason why I'm kind of glad that they're going back to a ten year old Ben. If they aren't going to make the character significantly different from how he was at ten years old, then there's really no point in making him older. That being said, I have my doubts that I'll watch this series. The design for Ben doesn't really give a good first impression, I really didn't care for ten year old Ben and after Omniverse started out fun only to become an annoying mess by the end, I don't think that I want to waste my time watching another Ben 10 series. Unless something really catches my attention about the series, then I'll just give it a pass.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts