"Batwoman" (TV Series) News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Variety reports, a "Batwoman" TV series is in development for 2019 for the CW. If it gets picked up, it will be in the same shared universe as most of their other DC Comics shows (the "Arrowverse"). Regardless of that, the character is still set to appear in this year's cross-over event.

Caroline Dires is the writer and executive producer on the project. Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter are also executive producers.

Variety has learned that The CW is developing a series about the DC superhero that would debut in 2019 should it get picked up. News of the development comes after the network announced in May that the character would appear in the annual crossover event between four of the CW’s DC shows: “The Flash,” “Arrow,” “Legends of Tomorrow,” and “Supergirl.”
In the series, Kate Kane, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.
Caroline Dries will serve as the writer and executive producer on the project. Dries has a long history with CW, having worked as a writer and producer on “The Vampire Diaries” and the network’s new iteration of “Melrose Place.” She also worked as a writer on “Smallville,” which centered on Clark Kent before he become Superman. Dries is repped by WME.
Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter will also executive produce via Berlanti Productions. Geoff Johns, who recently stepped down as the head of DC Entertainment, will also executive produce. Berlanti Productions will produce in association with Warner Bros. Television.
Should the show get picked up–which seems more than likely–it would be Berlanti’s seventh show on The CW and 15th on the air overall, thus further cementing his record for most live-action shows on the air at one time. In addition to the four previously mentioned DC shows, he also produces the CW superhero drama “Black Lightning,” “Riverdale,” and the upcoming high school football drama “All American.”
Batwoman, the first openly gay DC superhero, would also add to the CW’s recent track record of inclusion on its airwaves. The network currently boasts a wide range of diverse

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Cool :cool:.

I'm kind of wondering if this is going to end up replacing Arrow on the CW's schedule given that, on-paper, they seem similar at least as far as the comic book genre or niche they intend to fill out o_O.

I have a lot of questions about how they're going to handle Kate, but those will probably be answered in the crossover. I am curious if they'll acknowledge Batman or treat him like Supergirl treats Superman, which once again begs the question of what Earth this show will be set on :sweat:.

Will they have access to Batman's Rogues Gallery? Supporting cast? The rest of the Batfamily :)?

I think clear musts as far as main characters go is Jacob, and probably Alice. Maybe Bette Kane :anime:?

As far as love interests, I wonder if they'll have access to Renee Montoya or Maggie Sawyer...

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Lackawanna, NY
Hmmm. perhaps Batwoman will be on the Earth of Supergirl (a show that does, in fact, acknowledge Superman even if he seems to be missing-in-action far too often. Then again, Gotham City does seem to exist on the Earth of Green Arrow. And who's to say that there is only one version of Maggie Sawyer in the multiple Earths of the Arrowverse?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Hmmm. perhaps Batwoman will be on the Earth of Supergirl (a show that does, in fact, acknowledge Superman even if he seems to be missing-in-action far too often. Then again, Gotham City does seem to exist on the Earth of Green Arrow. And who's to say that there is only one version of Maggie Sawyer in the multiple Earths of the Arrowverse?
Gotham has also been mentioned on Supergirl, as well as allusions to Batman :).

Reactions: Otaku-sempai

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Cartoon Headquarters
Hm. On one hand cool. On the other, I ask myself if we need so many DC shows from CW. I ask the same thing when it comes to Marvel shows on Netflix. I feel it's quantity over quality.

Reactions: Red Arrow

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Amazing news!

Cool :cool:.I'm kind of wondering if this is going to end up replacing Arrow on the CW's schedule given that, on-paper, they seem similar at least as far as the comic book genre or niche they intend to fill out o_O.
lol, my first thought, too,

I have a lot of questions about how they're going to handle Kate, but those will probably be answered in the crossover. I am curious if they'll acknowledge Batman or treat him like Supergirl treats Superman, which once again begs the question of what Earth this show will be set on :sweat:.
Well, we know Bruce Wayne exists on Earth-1. At this point, I forget if Batman ever came up or was alluded to. I think he was alluded to on Legends. Maybe, he's the only hero on Earth-1 that stays under the radar. :p

Will they have access to Batman's Rogues Gallery? Supporting cast? The rest of the Batfamily :)
Well, it looks like she's kind of carved her own niche with her own villains and supporting cast.

Dorko

Jan 24, 2005
We know basically nothing about their plans for the character at this point, but I have two hopes:

1) That its set on Earth 38. Supergirl's world could use a little more fleshing out.
2) That Batwoman is revealed as the grim, gadget using vigilante mentioned as having worked with Superman in Season 2 of Supergirl. Maybe toss in a line about Kara having assumed she'd be a guy based on Clark's description. Origin stories are a dime a dozen at this point and there's no way in hell that the CW gets permission to have Batman on screen more than a handful of times (see: Superman on Supergirl). Just go for it, Kate Kane is the "Batman" of Earth 38.

Neither of these things are likely to happen, but they're the things I would most want to see.

Reactions: 2 people

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Some updates from Mark Pedowitz:
“Greg is in early stages of development at this point,” said CW president Mark Pedowitz today. Batwoman was initially announced to be a major part of a December DC crossover event before CW announced a series.
“We’ll do a pilot for mid-season, whether it goes to series, I cannot tell you,” said Pedowitz about the status quo, “We have five (DC shows) on the air and just added a sixth night.”
Could he rule out Batwoman as a potential villain? “I can’t even answer that question,” said Pedowitz. The CW boss added that “Batman already exists in the Arrowverse, because Thea Queen mentioned his name at one point.”

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Black Lightning premiered mid-season didn't it?

Why would someone ask about Batwoman possibly being a villain :sweat:?

I also assume that the CW head is talking about Oliver mentioning Bruce Wayne, because I don't recall Thea talking about Batman...
I think so. Only Rip alluded to Batman on Legends season 1 then on Earth-38, he was alluded to twice in season 2 I think.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Looks like they officially ordered the Pilot.
The network on Thursday handed out a pilot order for the Ruby Rose-led drama from showrunner and writer Caroline Dries (The Vampire Diaries) and exec producer Greg Berlanti.
David Nutter, the Emmy-winning Game of Thrones helmer who previously helmed pilots for The CW's The Flash and Arrow, will serve in the same capacity on Batwoman.
Here's The CW's official description: Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane [Rose] soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope."
In addition to writing and serving as showrunner, Dries exec produces alongside Berlanti and his Warner Bros. TV-based Berlanti Productions topper Sarah Schechter and Geoff Johns. Nutter, whom Berlanti personally recruited to direct following his successful world-building on The Flash and Arrow pilots, will also be credited as an exec producer. Batwoman is based on characters from DC Comics.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Dec 31, 2013
I'm interested in how they'll interpret Flamebird, she's supposed to be Kate's cousin but it's confusing because she's also a Kane which would make her related to Batman.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Meagan Tandy, Camrus Johnson and Nicole Kang join the cast.
Tandy will play Sophie Moore. After graduating from military academy, Sophie rose through the ranks to become a high-level private security agent and one of Gotham’s staunchest protectors. Despite her bite and regimented outlook, Sophie has a soft side, illuminated by Kate Kane’s return.
Johnson will portray Luke Fox. A Dark Knight loyalist and son of Wayne’s R&D director Lucius Fox, Luke works to keep Wayne Tower secure in his boss’s absence. While Luke considers himself the guardian of all things Batman — specifically his symbol — he also recognizes the city’s need for a new hero.
Kang is Mary Hamilton. Excitable, talkative, and an influencer-in-the-making, Mary is Kate Kane’s step-sister and polar opposite. But what Mary lacks in a filter, she makes up for with her compassion for Gotham’s underserved communities, proving she has more in common with Kate than she thinks.