"Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

"Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" - Rate and Discuss this Epic Animated Crossover!

• Total voters

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Batman Vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

That was pretty great. Not perfect, but it sort of saddens me that the only really good recent DC PG-13 cartoon with blood and swearing outside of Death Of Superman was this movie, and that the DC Universe Original Movie projects haven't done anything all that special recently. While I don't think this was as good as Death Of Superman, I probably enjoyed it more because it was fun, there was humor attached, and seeing the characters interact and fight was interesting. Shredder wins the first battle with Batman, Leonardo takes out Ra's Al Ghul, the Turtles track Batman to the Batcave (which might go down as the impressive thing they've ever done), etc, the movie gave us some definitive tussles, and wins and losses, which is something many crossovers refuse to do.

Batman has a Superman mug? He is so lame.

Loved seeing the police blimps and Mikey making fun of them. Gotham might be the only city in America crazier than a city with Mutant Turtles roaming it. And Mikey's in hog Heaven the entire time.

Donatello does machines while Michelangelo is the party dude. Someone has been listening to their theme song.

This is probably the most benign version Baxter Stockman I have ever seen. Usually there is a sinister edge to the character, even when he's working for Shredder. This guy strikes me as a pure victim. He isn't even sure he's a hostage, which shows how bad the Stockholm syndrome has gotten for him.

Batman letting Mikey press all the buttons is how Batman shows his approval to him.

I thought Batman throwing a pizza party at the end was a bit lame and out of character. And yet, it was also kind of fun and funny. It's Batman embracing the cheese for once. At least it's mozzarella instead of nacho.

Joker Shredder would make a good sequel. I hope we see it someday (although it seems unlikely).

Oh, joy, Mikey gifted Alfred his skateboard. Alfred's disgusted reactions to the Turtles, particularly Michelangelo, all throughout the movie were pretty hilarious.

I loved seeing all of those fake comic book covers in the end credits.

My favorite part of the movie will probably not shock people who regularly read my reviews. In superhero stuff, it's the character moments that matter to me, not the geek stuff. I'm a geek because I like cartoons and some superhero stuff, but the stuff I always like best is the character moments. I love that Batman does one of his absolutely typical "You're going home" snits to the Turtles, and Raph stands up to him, and freaking talks him out of it, which has got to be a first. Even Robin and Batgirl are shocked that he touched Batman's arm, and even more shocked that Batman didn't shove him off for it. I love scenes where characters talk out their problems like adults, and refuse to break their bonds because they are temporarily angry with each other. It is rare to see that anyways, so anytime I do, I love it. It's especially great here because this is literally the first time I've seen it in the Batman franchise, and it's rewarding for Turtles fans to have Raphael of all people be the voice of reason, because he's been through this before and learned from it. I loved every part of that, even Raphael cornily saying a family and team is the same thing. That was the best part of the movie for me.

I don't tend to like PG-13 action cartoons with blood and swearing because that is often all they are about, and use those things for shock value. I didn't feel that here, and things were actually fun otherwise, so I could actually enjoy things without being upset at death and destruction. Very cool movie. ****1/2.

Heeroyuy_Batman

I absolutely love this movie. I watched it shortly after it came out when a good friend brought it over and we watched it together. However, I just bought the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 5-film collection and this is the first movie I'm watching. As I watch it, I'm reminded how much I love it. I have to admit when I first watched it over a year ago that I was a bit disappointed that the movie didn't keep the Ninja Turtles being from a different universe. I'm a huge fan of all things multiversal. However, watching it now, I see what a great decision having Batman and the TMNT being from two separate cities in the same universe is. This movie shows how well Batman and the TMNT mesh. I hope there's a sequel to this made soon. Not only that, I hope AT&T/Warner Media buys the TMNT franchise from ViacomCBS and merges the TMNT into the DCU. This proves it would work like how Static Shock proved the Milestone Universe would mesh well merged into the DCU.

ABrown

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't a single reference (at least overtly) to Robin being Ra's grandson, right? That disappointed me. Or did I miss it?

I was watching Injustice on HBO Max the other night. When Ra's and Damian were interacting, for some reason I thought of this movie. I can't belive I didn't make the connection that these two didn't even mention each other at all in the movie. Guess everyone's so focused on the characters interacting with characters from the other franchise, we forgot about characters interacting with their regular associations.

SuperMike1991

I guess everyone is waiting for the Blu-ray release to watch this. I got the digital copy and finally got to watch it over the weekend. I really enjoyed it and I thought the animation was really great (who animated it?) and the story was a good version of the original comic. My only problem is really some of the fights go on a bit too long and the violence seems higher than it should be for the kid-friendly tone the movie sort of goes for. Its still really awesome and I'm glad they made it. Hope they do a sequel!
They certainly left a thread for a sequel during a post-credits sequence. But who knows if they'll follow through on it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts