"Batman Unlimited (Animated Movies/Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Movie #1: Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts
Digital Release: April 28, 2015
Release Date: May 12, 2015 on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD
Soundtrack Release Date: May 10, 2016 streaming and digital download
Premise: Batman, the Flash, Red Robin, Nightwing and Green Arrow face off against super villain the Penguin, while introducing cyber animals as new foes

Movie #2: Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
Digital Release: August 4, 2015
Soundtrack Release Date: May 10, 2016 streaming and digital download
Release Date: August 18, 2015
on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD

22 two minute digital shorts
Start Date: May 4, 2015
Links:
DC Kids

xx two minute digital shorts
Start Date: June 8, 2016

Movie #3: Batman Unlimited: Mechs Vs. Mutants
Digital Release: August 30, 2016
Release Date: September 13, 2016

This image popped up at the 2014 Licensing Expo:

batmanunlimited.jpg

Could this be the next Batman cartoon, or perhaps just a new toyline?

Thoughts? Comments? Speculation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
I don't doubt that DC will be trying something new with Batman, as he's become DC's go-to guy, but I personally don't care what this is because frankly I'm tired of DC using Batman as a crutch for everything they do now. Something else besides, Bats, please.

-batmat-

I don't know what it is, but the design is awful. Specially that awful huge mask-chin.But if it is a new series, I'm glad they're coming back to traditional 2D animation

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
I suppose it could be more Batman75 merchandising, but that really comes off like a preview of more 2D animation of some sort. If it's a full series, wow, that happened fast.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Where are we on DC Nation shorts, are there any we know about that haven't been broadcast yet? That format might be something to consider.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Could this tweet from a storyboard artist and designer for Warner Bros. Animation, who also retweeted this, mean anything concerning the Batman Unlimited picture. Thoughts?

JTMarsh

Wing Commander
From the looks of the design more than likely a new cartoon to replace Beware the Batman.
Yeah, that was my first thought. Kind of hard to get excited, let alone interested, after all the overexposure Batman's had over the years. And Superman noticeably still hasn't had a solo cartoon of his own since the 90s...

Frontier

Staff member
A possible new Batman cartoon already? I haven't even finished watching all of Beware the Batman yet :sweat:.

On the one hand, if this does turn out to be a new cartoon, having Batman cartoon after Batman cartoon is starting to get a little old and it's unfair to other heroes who I think could definitely hold their own cartoon. But on the other, with the current state action-cartoons based on comics, I'd more than welcome an addition like this even if it is another Batman cartoon. Especially if it ends up being enjoyable and well-written :).

A hand drawn cartoon will save a good two hundred thousand dollars per episode in comparison to the CG Beware the Batman, so I'm not surprised to see this potential new series in the works. Hopefully the Unlimited implies we will see multiple universes' Batmen and the like.

atomicbattery

The Licensing Expo isn't Toyfair. Warner Brothers was almost exclusively promoting television and motion picture product. Of course, Batman being an 'evergreen', I suppose this could be tied to just a toyline, but I'd lean hard toward speculation that it's a new show.
Not surprised at the early negativity, but I choose optimism. 'Batman Unlimited' sounds like a possible big-cast Batfamily show, and how cool would it be to see Dick Grayson leading a team of Robins, or Barbara Gordon leading a team of Batgirls?

Also, those complaining about another Batman show need to understand that Batman is simply not just another hero in the DC roster. Batman is it's own brand that stands apart, and is perhaps the biggest brand in the Warner empire. And Warner has tried mightily in the last decade to use Batman as a gateway drug to the DC Universe, with products like the Brave and the Bold series and Lego Batman 2&3 (which are Batman games in name only, rather Justice League and now DC Universe games meant to use Batman to introduce DC characters to a generation of kids). Think of all these Batman shows as something like 'The Simpsons'- one loong series that's been going on for over two decades. Warner, at least for now and the foreseeable future, wants something Batman on tv for kids, pretty much always.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
There's that word again, "Unlimited."

I hope when the 90's makes a comeback, we start getting more cartoons named "Extreme."

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Well, it's clearly based on the Batman Power Attack toyline. Here's some of it's more recent artwork...

79c4f58f-3b34-426d-a907-8b6ee10393b7_zpsd723593e.jpg

However, the poster from the expo clearly shows an animated version of the toyline... most likely an image from the model sheets.

It's either a small animated project ala JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time, in support of the new toyline or a new series in general. Now here's whats interesting... why is there no logo on the poster?

Surely you'd expect to see a WB, CN or at least Mattel logo in some capacity?

Light Lucario

Staff member
It does make me think that this could be a new Batman series. While they have given Batman way too much exposure over the years with various animated series, I doubt that they'd want to take too long of a break from having a Batman series on the air either. The design doesn't do much for me, but seeing more of it might change that. Plus, I would hope that with a title like Unlimited, it would either include a lot of the Bat-family and/or involved parallel universes, which could help to make it stand out more. I'd also hope that it gets better treatment than Beware the Batman did, assuming that it airs on Cartoon Network.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
You have to admit though... It would be a smart business decision. Creating a colourful, toyetic and expansive Batman show around an already popular evergreen toyline.

Hordesman

slashor
You have to admit though... It would be a smart business decision. Creating a colourful, toyetic and expansive Batman show around an already popular evergreen toyline.

Or you use an evergreen to support current media. http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Gotham...03132237&sr=1-11&keywords=batman+power+attack because it may be better to hit several categories and let collector companies make movie-accurate product: http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/movie-figures-garnering-little-action-at-toy-stores/

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Use Spoiler and Tim Drake Robin and not have it turn out like Hulk and the Agents of Smash and I will not complain.

EmaHalJordan

I'm not interested ANOTHER new series of Batman but I'm glad if this serves to give audience to Batman V Superman and the DCU Animated Movies!

I just hope to see other sides of the DCU that is what interests me as Atom (Ray Palmer), Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), or Mr.Miracle and Big Barda! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts