"Batman: The Long Halloween, Parts 1-2" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaku-sempai

What I didn't like about the changes to the story (including the conclusion) is that it screws up the possibility of adapting Dark Victory without a massive rewrite.

Frontier

Staff member
What I didn't like about the changes to the story (including the conclusion) is that it screws up the possibility of adapting Dark Victory without a massive rewrite.
I think they would definitely have to change things up for Dark Victory. I don't think they'd adapt the Hangman the same way because it would seem like too much a retread of Holiday and the victims would be even more pertinent to having watched Year One to actually care about them than the victims in Long Halloween.

DV is definitely a story I could see them condensing and altering a lot.

Ed Nygma

I would hope if they did Dark Victory the ending would be changed a bit. Some of you may remember this (I think Jim Harvey was there under a different name?) but waay back in the day when DV#12 came out, people on the DC message boards went nuts and couldn't wait for the ending. As it seemed like Selina was the killer, which was the last thing you'd expect because you'd figure Batman would not treat her the same in the current timeline. Any villain really could have been just as surprising and worked.

Then the actual ending came out and it was a dud. I still don't get "I got plastic surgery to cover my scars up... so that I could put them on the wrong side of my face!" It was just a mess.

Ed Nygma

I really wish they had a retrospective on the comic instead of just talking about the movie itself, with real nuts and bolts on DC circa 1996, like how Wizard guessed the solution months ahead of time or how nobody got the reveal when it happened.

As an aside I was very sad that Tim Sale passed away this year, and also sad that Jeph wasted his last opportunity to work with Tim in the 2021 one-shot comic by setting up yet another cliffhanger that now will never be resolved, instead of giving final closure on the world and Gilda's fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts