"Batman: The Long Halloween, Parts 1-2" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
I am kind of amazed how well Jensen Ackles fits voicing Batman :).

That's an interesting look for Arkham...

Seeing Penguin in Arkham is kind of weird but they seem to be framing it like it's more because they're dangerous Supervillains and not because they're necessarilly crazy...even though most of the people in there are crazy :sweat:.

Look, it's all the villains who are going to break out and become problems in Part Two ;).

the greenman

I am kind of amazed how well Jensen Ackles fits voicing Batman :).

That's an interesting look for Arkham...

Seeing Penguin in Arkham is kind of weird but they seem to be framing it like it's more because they're dangerous Supervillains and not because they're necessarilly crazy...even though most of the people in there are crazy :sweat:.

Look, it's all the villains who are going to break out and become problems in Part Two ;).
I've gotten used to that fact we're all crazy to some degree. These folks locked up, are criminally insane.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm pleased with myself -- I've managed to steer clear of all of the clips (well, all but a few seconds of one or two). I like that I'm going into this one not having seen bits and pieces of it in advance... unless you count the trailer.
Me too, the only thing I've watched is the trailer and the sneak peak on JSWWII.

EDIT: Sheridan mentions he wrote a new Calendar Man scene that was needed anyway in Act 3 of Part 2 after he heard Dastmalchian record for Part 1.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

Frontier

Staff member

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Just a warning, the embargo review for Part 1 lifted today so watch out for spoilers in the usual places. As someone who was not so beholden to TLH, I thought Part 1 hit it out of the ballpark. Kudos to Tim Sheridan and the rest of the crew. But I think the real test will be Part 2. It's easy to set up a story but to execute the ending is a whole other thing, imo.

Frontier

Staff member
Just a warning, the embargo review for Part 1 lifted today so watch out for spoilers in the usual places. As someone who was not so beholden to TLH, I thought Part 1 hit it out of the ballpark. Kudos to Tim Sheridan and the rest of the crew. But I think the real test will be Part 2. It's easy to set up a story but to execute the ending is a whole other thing, imo.
Reminds me how some people preferred Death to Reign, although I loved both :p.

ShadowStar

The main thing that I'd like to know, from those who watch Part One within the next week or so, is whether it feels like there's "enough" of a story there to justify seeing it this month, instead of waiting to watch it with Part Two in late July. I'm sure that there will be a cliffhanger/tease and I'm not worried about waiting one month to see that resolved -- I'm more interested in knowing whether enough happens to warrant seeing Part One by itself.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The main thing that I'd like to know, from those who watch Part One within the next week or so, is whether it feels like there's "enough" of a story there to justify seeing it this month, instead of waiting to watch it with Part Two in late July. I'm sure that there will be a cliffhanger/tease and I'm not worried about waiting one month to see that resolved -- I'm more interested in knowing whether enough happens to warrant seeing Part One by itself.
Yes, I think there is. And that coming from someone who was indifferent to TLH and eyerolled at the prospect another Batman DTV. I felt it was a complete story and well done. Sheridan did a great job with turning 4 comic book issues into a cohesive flowing 85 minute movie. If he directly adapted everything like the Year One was, this movie would not have worked, imo. Although if you're in a financial situation, I could understand you skipping buying the Blu-ray and I could see digital sales doing better for Part 1 especially if the deluxe edition next year ends up having exclusive special features.

Blu-ray.com's review of the movie reveals Part 1 is an adaptation of the first
issues, leaving Part 2 to adapt the other
Yes, I can confirm that is correct. Well, they might be adapting all of the rest, they could be dropping whole issues or taking small pieces from some.

That makes me wonder if Part Two is going to feel rushed.
Yeah, I felt like it in an ideal world, this could have been a 3 part movie. Even 4.

Frontier

Staff member
This kind of reminds me of Reign of the Supermen where they had to condense Reign and Return into one movie, so it ended up feeling very packed.

All the same though I feel like they might breeze through some of the villain fights in part two to streamline the story and so they can fit more content in.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
All the same though I feel like they might breeze through some of the villain fights in part two to streamline the story and so they can fit more content in.
6/17: Yeah, I could see them doing it with a montage of fights and time skips or maybe snippets in the title sequence.

EDIT: Interview with Josh Duhamel.

Interview with Tim Sheridan. (70 minutes, not all about TLH)

4 stills released of Batman and Harvey, Batman and Catwoman, Johnny Viti, and Calendar Man talking to Gordon and Batman.

Another interview with Sheridan.

And if anyone is curious, I did post my Part 1 review already, link in signature. There are spoilers in it.

6/18: Comic Book has a clip featuring Joker and Dent.

And an interesting interview with Butch Lukic. He was originally going to adapt Sale's style, Ackles was Wes Gleason's idea, had a Dark Victory sequel in mind but it went to the wayside, implies The Batman delayed TLH's release dates.

EW roundtable, 34:41 total. Delay was over WB thinking Reeves was going to use TLH in his movie, Ackles on thinking he was reprising Red Hood and quickly agreeing to be Batman, Nathanson on duality and the other actresses, Lukic talks about being a guest on a meeting and volunteering to adapt Long Halloween, Sheridan on adapting, Nathanson on not reading the comic first, on Calendar Man and David Dastmalchian, Ackles on finding the voice and filtering out the Texan accent, Lukic thought Long Halloween was the only movie he was doing so he was going to ask Tim Sale to do some pre-production work but things changed with James Tucker departing the supervising producer role and the executives asked for a style that was going to carry over several movies, Lukic followed Sale's design of Gotham City and use of light, this is year 2 and Batman is still learning,

Last edited:

the greenman

6/18:

EW roundtable, 34:41 total. Delay was over WB thinking Reeves was going to use TLH in his movie.
I think a bunch of us believed that. It made a lot of sense. However, it's no major deal breaker. We all know even if it was a loose adaptation, it wouldn't of been all that close anyways.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
6/18: Comic Book has a clip featuring Joker and Dent.

And an interesting interview with Butch Lukic. He was originally going to adapt Sale's style, Ackles was Wes Gleason's idea, had a Dark Victory sequel in mind but it went to the wayside, implies The Batman delayed TLH's release dates.

EW roundtable, 34:41 total. Delay was over WB thinking Reeves was going to use TLH in his movie.
People who wanted an exact recreation of Sale's art will probably be disappointed :sweat:.

I think they made a good choice with Ackles :).

I hope they can still do a Dark Victory adaption ;).

I remember a lot of people speculating about Reeves and TLH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Despite the tepid reception, I actually enjoyed seeing Argylle in the cinema.
Shania Twain > Taylor Swift. That is all.
I wish the internet would quit pushing sites like Temu and Shein onto me. I can't stand them, for numerous reasons.
I almost forgot to mention, but I'm doing another Media Brackets competition

X-Men '97 is good so far, but don't forget that angst does not automatically equal depth. Just adding swears and piling on cheap tragedies doesn't instantly make your work deep or mature.

Featured Posts