"Batman: The Long Halloween, Parts 1-2" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
Kind of a random thought, but if they're not slavic to the source material to the extent that they'd change Catwoman's costume to something more modern, I wonder if Jim and Barbara sr. will have two kids (James Jr. and Babs Jr.).

Otaku-sempai

I wonder what thought went into releasing the Deluxe Edition months after Part 2? Even a shrink wrap job with a few bucks off the price of both features would be an enticement some would take?

By that point, spoilers will be unavoidable and by the very nature of the story, it's impact will be lost if the mystery as to who The Holiday Killer actually is. Surely the double dipping audience for this kind of feature is minute?
It helps if the Deluxe Edition can include some special features not available in the individual releases. One or more commentary tracks would be nice, as would interviews with Loeb and/or Sale and a documentary about the collected graphic novel.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It helps if the Deluxe Edition can include some special features not available in the individual releases. One or more commentary tracks would be nice, as would interviews with Loeb and/or Sale and a documentary about the collected graphic novel.
That's the hope. If the only new thing is the 4K versions of the movies... :sad:

Ed Nygma

So all the animated features moving forward will have the Man of Tomorrow house style, with the thick black outlines? I'm not sure how to describe it but I don't know what accounts for this. I wonder if there'll be exceptions like Soul of the Dragon.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So all the animated features moving forward will have the Man of Tomorrow house style, with the thick black outlines? I'm not sure how to describe it but I don't know what accounts for this. I wonder if there'll be exceptions like Soul of the Dragon.
So far it seems to be. Butch Lukic previously explained it was pretty much to go for a way different look than Bourassa's style from the in-canon movies supervised by James Tucker and the new design is inspired by European animation and the artist that contributes character designs is also from that continent, Otto Schmidt, then his art is refined by WBA's Jon Suzuki, Dusty Abell, and sometimes a third character designer.

Soul of the Dragon was supervised by Bruce Timm, not Lukic, so naturally his movies will be closer to his art style.

Ed Nygma

So far it seems to be. Butch Lukic previously explained it was pretty much to go for a way different look than Bourassa's style from the in-canon movies supervised by James Tucker and the new design is inspired by European animation and the artist that contributes character designs is also from that continent, Otto Schmidt, then his art is refined by WBA's Jon Suzuki, Dusty Abell, and sometimes a third character designer.

Soul of the Dragon was supervised by Bruce Timm, not Lukic, so naturally his movies will be closer to his art style.
For sure. I guess I can't wrap my head around why they'd ALL be in this different style, be they from competing continuities and whatnot, as opposed to the DCUA ones were all in the Bourassa style, but the one-offs did their own thing like Gotham by Gaslight or whatever.

Of course, I still can't figure out what they're thinking with what's going on with the spines for the blu-rays now... is it spelling a giant DC? Why is Wonder Woman on the Soul of the Dragon art? etc.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
For sure. I guess I can't wrap my head around why they'd ALL be in this different style, be they from competing continuities and whatnot, as opposed to the DCUA ones were all in the Bourassa style, but the one-offs did their own thing like Gotham by Gaslight or whatever.

Of course, I still can't figure out what they're thinking with what's going on with the spines for the blu-rays now... is it spelling a giant DC? Why is Wonder Woman on the Soul of the Dragon art? etc.
You mean why doesn't each movie have a different unique art style anymore like when Timm was initially in charge of the movies? Well, when they started go with a majority house style starting with Bourassa and now Otto's, it's probably because it saves on production lead time and budget to have 2 art styles vs. 3 or 4 per year. I recall around the time of Doom or Superman vs. The Elite, there was a lot of turnover in staff and a bit of a crunch for whatever reasons -- so I guess someone did an analysis and realized some changes had to be made. Having to create a new art style from scratch - character designs, background characters, props, backgrounds - it takes a toll on the crew in the long term. And nowadays with so many animation projects going on with the advent of streaming services making their own content, the industry isn't as flush with workers as it used to be so each studio can't burn out their crews and risk losing them I suppose.

But on the flip side, I can see how that practice would be met with resistance when it comes to adaptations like The Long Halloween with Tim Sale's art style being a big part of that story.

I'd guess with the blu-ray spine art, it was just something fun and new to try, a connect them all diorama type things. Sometimes a character related to the movie appears, sometimes one won't. Shrug.

Frontier

Staff member
I'd guess with the blu-ray spine art, it was just something fun and new to try, a connect them all diorama type things. Sometimes a character related to the movie appears, sometimes one won't. Shrug.
I'm of the belief the the blu-ray spine art is showing off characters appearing in the Lukic films (or possibly the Lukic-verse), although Constantine is obviously on there for his DC Showcase thing.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In the sneak peek on Justice Society: World War II, Tim Sheridan made some interesting comments. At the start, he says he wanted to make the closest adaptation of a Batman comic into a movie. Yet, at the end, he hints that even for those who read TLH comics, there are some surprises in store.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
In the sneak peek on Justice Society: World War II, Tim Sheridan made some interesting comments. At the start, he says he wanted to make the closest adaptation of a Batman comic into a movie. Yet, at the end, he hints that even for those who read TLH comics, there are some surprises in store.

I'd say that honor belongs to Batman: Year One. Pretty much word for word and fans still complained. They've already deviated from the art style, so they may as well make some changes to the structure of the story.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, I guess it's good that they plan to remain as close to the comic as possible while still throwing in one or tow curveballs, but probably nothing on the level of the Hush twist o_O.

I wonder if one of them might be the Gordon's having a daughter named after her mother instead of James Jr...

In before the ending of Part 2 is a post-credit scene of Darren Criss' Superman visiting Batman to invite him to join the Justice League :p.
Personally, I hope this one is stand-alone and not connected to Man Of Tomorrow..
I'm sure it will be standalone one way or another :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, I guess it's good that they plan to remain as close to the comic as possible while still throwing in one or tow curveballs, but probably nothing on the level of the Hush twist o_O.

I wonder if one of them might be the Gordon's having a daughter named after her mother instead of James Jr...

In before the ending of Part 2 is a post-credit scene of Darren Criss' Superman visiting Batman to invite him to join the Justice League :p.
Well, there's a track record in the more recent DTVs. Bruce Timm and co. changed the reveal in his adaptation of Gotham by Gaslight, James Tucker and co. changed the reveal in their Hush. I'm fine with them modifying the reveal here because (granted I haven't read TLH in ages) the reveal in the comic got convoluted and I'm okay with them 'refining' it but an overall change to the Holiday Killer's identity, I agree would be... precarious of them.

I'm sure it will be standalone one way or another :).
This is year 2 of Batman. If this is taking place the same time as Man of Tomorrow's canon, feels like there'd a lot of complaints that Martian Manhunter (and potentially Flash) preceded Superman and Batman. Fans seem to prefer the adaptions to be stand alones thinking back to feelings about Death of Superman, Reign, and Hush being adapted in the Tuckerverse for instance, idk, I'm on the fence. I'd give it a chance in the Lukic era. After watching Justice Society,
I'm a little more inclined to a potential new ongoing continuity.
But if it is, TLH could take place several years before the events of MOT in theory.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, there's a track record in the more recent DTVs. Bruce Timm and co. changed the reveal in his adaptation of Gotham by Gaslight, James Tucker and co. changed the reveal in their Hush. I'm fine with them modifying the reveal here because (granted I haven't read TLH in ages) the reveal in the comic got convoluted and I'm okay with them 'refining' it but an overall change to the Holiday Killer's identity, I agree would be... precarious of them.
Yeah, but I think considering the reception of the change in Hush and talking about fidelity to the story here, there's probably less of a likelihood they'll make a drastic change at the very least.

They probably will condense things because it kind of seems like they're scaling back the Supervillains to an extent, so I guess we'll see how that works.
This is year 2 of Batman. If this is taking place the same time as Man of Tomorrow's canon, feels like there'd a lot of complaints that Martian Manhunter (and potentially Flash) preceded Superman and Batman. Fans seem to prefer the adaptions to be stand alones thinking back to feelings about Death of Superman, Reign, and Hush being adapted in the Tuckerverse for instance, idk, I'm on the fence. I'd give it a chance in the Lukic era. After watching Justice Society,
I'm a little more inclined to a potential new ongoing continuity.
But if it is, TLH could take place several years before the events of MOT in theory.
Well, Martian Manhunter wasn't an active Superhero until MoT, so there's some leeway there...although now I'm remembering now how all over the place the Tucker timeline could get at times :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, Martian Manhunter wasn't an active Superhero until MoT, so there's some leeway there...although now I'm remembering now how all over the place the Tucker timeline could get at times :p.
True. And yeah, to this day, I've seen gripes on social media that the Teen Titans formed before the JL in Tucker's movies. lol.

EmaHalJordan

We get a composer confirmation on the UK DVD release... Michael Gatt (DC Super Hero Girls). It's nice that they are shaking things up with composers on this line now and not just using the same one on every movie. Adds some variety.

It has no language in Spanish! That worries me, and more so with the arrival of HBO MAX to Latin America in June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts