"Batman: The Complete Animated Series" Blu-ray Release Talkback (Spoilers)

How would you rate the "Batman: The Complete Animated Series" Blu-ray?

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The only slight correction, is I'm pretty sure of all the episodes of The New Batman Adventures, "Over the Edge" was the sole one done digital. @James Harvey?
To my knowledge, yup. Timm even mentions as such in an interview from a few years back (I'd need time to dig it up).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
To my knowledge, yup. Timm even mentions as such in an interview from a few years back (I'd need time to dig it up).
They do talk about in the episode commentary around 2:40 to 3:48. Murakami points it out but Timm said it was more 50/50. Since it was an episode TMS was doing preproduction on, they asked the crew if they could try and animate it digitally to show them what they could do -- camera work and backgrounds are composited digitally -- but it's still done with old school techniques, too.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World's Finest has published its review of the Batman: The Complete Animated Series - Deluxe Limited Edition Blu-ray release. In short, the best Batman cartoon ever made has simply never looked better, and that's not hyperbole. The HD remaster quality is staggering and genuinely stunning. Tack on an engaging and interesting documentary on the show's place in history, house it all in a handsome box set, and you have one release that can not be missed. Click here to read the complete review!

review.jpg

Click here to read the review!

Also, be sure to check out Yojimbo's review of the Batman: The Complete Animated Series - Deluxe Limited Edition, too!

Palin Dromos

The Abyss Stares Back
For anyone concerned about the SD digital copy, I just got an email from Vudu that included a code to upgrade my SD copy for an HDX and they added on Mask of the Phantasm and Sub-Zero, which were not part of the initial redemption. I now have those HDX versions in my library.
So if you already redeemed you BTAS Complete series code and got the SD versions keep an eye on your email. As for those who are yet to redeem, I think you're probably safe to do so.
It all worked out in the end.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Surprisingly, my local Wal-Mart had a copy so I didn't hesitate to buy it. Since I bought it in stores, I didn't have to deal with the beat up packaging problem, so it was a win. So if you haven't bought it yet and don't want to take the risk on Amazon, try and see if your Wal-Mart has it.

First thing I did was carefully take the discs out of those sleeves and place them in temporary cases- I'll have to make custom covers later. I really don't know why certain studios are so keen on this type of packaging- don't they know how easily you can scratch the discs? Plus once the paper sleeves get worn it's really easy for the discs to just fall out if you move the packaging in a certain way.

So far I've re-watched "Pretty Poison", "It's Never Too Late", and the fan favorite [/sarcasm] "I've Got Batman in My Basement". I'm definitely impressed with the video quality/restoration. This sort of thing makes me dismayed that Looney Tunes is no longer a priority for WB, 'cause I've missed these classic cartoon restoration projects.

I'll be interested to finally watch the rest of "TNBA". I've only seen a select few episodes.

Link1130

Just FYI, I ordered my copy from Amazon just last week, so it didn't come in the initial shipments. It arrive in a box rather than a bubble envelope, so it looks like they may have corrected that issue for any future shipments.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World's Finest has the press details and a video clip for the regular edition release of Batman: The Complete Animated Series, available through digital and traditional retail outlets.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Here are photos and a video of the standard edition, which has been released outside the U.S. Some folks on the Blu-Ray.com forum have been going over the special edition set, and while the response has been mostly positive, some have complained about excessive DNR and too many episodes being crammed on each disc. Additionally, "The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy" has inexplicably bad audio and the end credits of ''The Adventures of Batman and Robin'' episodes have the wrong music.
I wonder if the standard edition will be held back to correct these errors...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
^I passed it along to Miereanu.

Amazon will be selling the standard edition starting today. The limited edition is almost sold out. Not sure what the link is yet.

-batmat-

I'm also a member in the Blu-Ray forums and I've been aware of the audio issue in "The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy". Some member posted audio samples and the difference is stunning, surprised it made it past quality control.

Very dissapointed that they didn't correct the issue of the end credits music in the TAOBAR episodes. ShadowStar had warned me about this when he found it in the digital versions on the DC Universe platform. And they didn't correct it either for the Blu Rays.

In other news, despite all this (and because a correction for this would be impossible I think) I've finally bought my copy... the UK version. Will have it by December 9th or so. Definitely my favorite artwork and packaging. Its basically the US Limited version but without the funkos or lenticular cards, and the booklet with the discs is vertical instead of horizontal. Here's a video.

-batmat-

Finally got mine. Got the UK version, it's gorgeous! Watched the first 2 episodes and they look they best they ever have.

Will post a more detailed analysis after I go through the entire series.

Mod Note: We don't allow advertising anything for sale. Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider-Man

I finally got an undamaged copy of the set and I've been going through it and really digging it. I've only been checking out the odd episode here and there but I'm tempted to watch the entire series from the first episode to the end. It's not a perfect set, they never will be, but I'm happy with what we got and what I paid for it.

-batmat-

Two episodes I noticed had small corrections:

On 'Robin's Reckoning Part 2', those who remember about Batman's famous wood on the leg that would change size from scene to scene, from being really small that it doesn't even reach Batman's knee, to being so large that Batman uses it as a crutch. They now fixed it and it's considerably better, always in a smaller size now, and Batman grabs his leg instead of using the wood as a crutch. Nice!

An even smaller one, in 'Night Of The Ninja' , the second flashback scene when Yoru Sensei tells Bruce that you can learn a lot from failure, Bruce looks up and the background used to go up with him too, something very weird. They now fixed that and its just Bruce that looks up and nothing else moves.

I should add that the sepia tone in the flashback scenes is less aparent, I don't know why... looks worse, but not that big of a deal.

I love that they went in and fixed some of this stuff. I remember someone saying that they fixed the ''Joker mobile'' sign from 'Joker's Wild' too. Havent seen that one yet though.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Two episodes I noticed had small corrections:

On 'Robin's Reckoning Part 2', those who remember about Batman's famous wood on the leg that would change size from scene to scene, from being really small that it doesn't even reach Batman's knee, to being so large that Batman uses it as a crutch. They now fixed it and it's considerably better, always in a smaller size now, and Batman grabs his leg instead of using the wood as a crutch. Nice!

An even smaller one, in 'Night Of The Ninja' , the second flashback scene when Yoru Sensei tells Bruce that you can learn a lot from failure, Bruce looks up and the background used to go up with him too, something very weird. They now fixed that and its just Bruce that looks up and nothing else moves.

I should add that the sepia tone in the flashback scenes is less aparent, I don't know why... looks worse, but not that big of a deal.

I love that they went in and fixed some of this stuff. I remember someone saying that they fixed the ''Joker mobile'' sign from 'Joker's Wild' too. Havent seen that one yet though.
Robin's Reckoning was fixed by Fox the second time it aired, but the old WHV set used the first broadcast rather than the fixed one. Not sure about Night Of The Ninja or Joker's Wild. But a very common complaint about the DVD set is that they used the incorrect footage.

#TeamMike

Yep, they fixed the Joker mobile sign from Joker's Wild.

Another fix I noticed, in the episode Moon of the Wolf, Dr. Milo's coat would laughably change color from white to brown, sometimes even in the same scene! It was really bad, it's thankfully been fixed in the remaster.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts