"Batman: The Animated Series - Volume Four" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment on the "Batman: The Animated Series - Volume Four" DVD


  • Total voters
    56
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Messages
256
Location
Ohio
Was that when DVD players were like...thousands of dollars or something? I vaguely remember Dateline or some show like that doing a feature on it, talking about how it could have parental control or like...family friendly versions of R-rated films.
 

b.t.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2003
Messages
1,418
when dvd's were first being introduced into the marketplace, director butch lukic and i had several (friendly) disagreements on the subject....butch predicted that the dvd was quickly going to supersede vhs as the home video format of choice for most people, the same way music cd's wiped-out vinyl and cassettes....i was somewhat skeptical (at the time, dvd players were VERY expensive, and experts were saying it would probably be awhile before dvd recorders would be available at an affordable price)....so, while i was storyboarding the opening sequence of "joker's millions", i fired the first shot in the TNBA "dvd wars", by putting a large dvd display at the tech convention...in my original storyboard, i had a sign next to the giant dvd saying "butch sez: dvd's the next big thing!", but i think the "butch sez" bit was left out of the actual bg design (thus ruining my joke).....butch retaliated with the b.t. quote about 8-tracks....

since i now own several hundred dvd's, four dvd players (including one portable and one vhs/dvd recorder combo) and have traded in half my old vhs collection, i'm willing to admit that butch might have been right....
 

Douglas Fir

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Messages
584
Silly McGooses said:
good god...that early?
I still remember the first two DVDs I bought back in '97 (here in the UK) - the first Burton Batman flick and Clive Barker's Hellraiser! I then later dipped my foot into Region 1 waters with "Pretty as a Picture: The Art of David Lynch" and Pioneer special edition of "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre"... and I never looked back!

Who would have though that eight years later we'd have the complete run of B:TAS on DVD! :D
 

Wade Kruse

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
864
You know, overall, I loved TNBA, but I do have a question about it that's been bothering me for some time that I would love an answer to, if Timm or any other creative staff happens to glance by...

It's about Poison Ivy, and the changes made to her. But I don't mean her appearance. I loved the green tint to her skin and her developing powers. What I'm really wondering is why Ivy as a character changed so much. Pretty much every rogue was constant with their old BTAS versions, but Ivy wasn't. In BTAS, Ivy was a complex character. A dedicated eco-terrorist who wasn't about making money so much as protecting the plantlife she held so dear...while trying to fill the void in her life with her own twisted version of a family, from Harley to the plant "kids." She seemed like much more than some crook with a gimmick, and had some real motivations and emotion going for her, especially in the fantastic "House and Garden"

But in TNBA, it all seemed to be tossed away. The desire for a family was gone. And instead of using her as an eco-terrorist, she became basically a jewel theif with a plant gimmick. In all three of her major appearances in TNBA, she was just all about the money...and it seemed so out of character.

I'm just kind of curious why Ivy strayed so far away from what she stood for in BTAS. Her role in that show made her a favorite of mine, and I can't help but feel she was wasted over the course or TNBA, she seemed to lose so many dimensions to her character. I still enjoyed the episodes for what they were, but was there a reason for the change?

Oh, and by the way, am I the only Roxy Rocket fan here? "The Ultimate Thrill" is a lot of fun.
 

A.J

Active Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
4,384
Location
Costa Rica
I am not a crew member by any mean Wade Kruse but I think Ivy just changed as everybody changes in life. She tried to have her own family, etc in BTAS but after discovering she couldnt get what she wanted then I guess she decided to use her powers to steal money and all the tipical things that villains does. I am just guessing here...
 

Hades

Active Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Messages
7,728
Location
Jonesville, Va
I finished Disc 1 yesterday, and loved every minute of it. However, I'm voting for 4 1/2 stars on this set in the poll just because the villian files only includes a select few. They totally forgot about Catwoman, Mad Hatter, Bane, and a few others. I can understand it if they didn't want to talk about the people who only showed up once (Lockdown), but Firefly should have been in there since he was introduced in this series. As for the files they did have, unlike Penguin, Clayface, and what not, they never said what made them come up with the horrible redesign for the Riddler. He was the worst design ever.

Scarecrow's new version freaking rules though.
 

batmanosaurus

Allan Turner
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
182
Location
Toronto, Canada
DVD glitch?

Anyone else noticed a glitch during Mean Seasons? When Calendar Girl's bending down to talk to the TV guy who's aiming a toy gun at her, there's a sort of hiccup in the transfer. Don't know how else to desribe it. Check out your sets and let me know.

This is the only glitch I've come across so far. I've watched maybe half of the episodes but not sequentially.
 

Silly McGooses

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2003
Messages
8,687
Location
Wilmington, DE
^I don't have that problem



Wade Kruse said:
You know, overall, I loved TNBA, but I do have a question about it that's been bothering me for some time that I would love an answer to, if Timm or any other creative staff happens to glance by...

It's about Poison Ivy, and the changes made to her. But I don't mean her appearance. I loved the green tint to her skin and her developing powers. What I'm really wondering is why Ivy as a character changed so much. Pretty much every rogue was constant with their old BTAS versions, but Ivy wasn't. In BTAS, Ivy was a complex character. A dedicated eco-terrorist who wasn't about making money so much as protecting the plantlife she held so dear...while trying to fill the void in her life with her own twisted version of a family, from Harley to the plant "kids." She seemed like much more than some crook with a gimmick, and had some real motivations and emotion going for her, especially in the fantastic "House and Garden"

But in TNBA, it all seemed to be tossed away. The desire for a family was gone. And instead of using her as an eco-terrorist, she became basically a jewel theif with a plant gimmick. In all three of her major appearances in TNBA, she was just all about the money...and it seemed so out of character.

I'm just kind of curious why Ivy strayed so far away from what she stood for in BTAS. Her role in that show made her a favorite of mine, and I can't help but feel she was wasted over the course or TNBA, she seemed to lose so many dimensions to her character. I still enjoyed the episodes for what they were, but was there a reason for the change?
I know that many don't consider the "animated' comics cannon, but the last run of "Batman Adventures" explainst this change, with a big shock at the end.
 

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Joined
Nov 18, 2001
Messages
3,397
Location
San Francisco, CA
Hades said:
they never said what made them come up with the horrible redesign for the Riddler. He was the worst design ever.
I've never understood what's so inexplicable or terrible about the Riddler's TNBA design, since it basically hearkens back to the original comics version, except it's a little less garish (less question marks) and makes the character look a little more theatening due to its Clockwork Orange vibe. I think the real problem is that the Riddler as a character was pretty much wasted in TNBA, and reduced to supporting roles. The redign indicates that the creaive team was prepared to accentuate the more manic side of the character, and had he been given a chance to shine in that revamped manner, we'd probably get a few less complaints. As it is, the Riddler is a tough cookie to write for--even The Batman, which reuses the big-name villains over and over again, has only taken two swings at Mr.Nygma. It's too bad they hadn't hired Ty Templeton as a TNBA writer. I think he'd have outshown some of the writers they did hire.
 

Douglas Fir

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Messages
584
Revelator said:
I've never understood what's so inexplicable or terrible about the Riddler's TNBA design, since it basically hearkens back to the original comics version, except it's a little less garish (less question marks) and makes the character look a little more theatening due to its Clockwork Orange vibe. I think the real problem is that the Riddler as a character was pretty much wasted in TNBA, and reduced to supporting roles. The redign indicates that the creaive team was prepared to accentuate the more manic side of the character, and had he been given a chance to shine in that revamped manner, we'd probably get a few less complaints. As it is, the Riddler is a tough cookie to write for--even The Batman, which reuses the big-name villains over and over again, has only taken two swings at Mr.Nygma. It's too bad they hadn't hired Ty Templeton as a TNBA writer. I think he'd have outshown some of the writers they did hire.
Veering slightly off topic I finally got around to watching the new "Batman Forever" DVD the other night (I bought the new box set and was saving the Schumacher films for when I literally had nothing better to do!)... and I remember thinking Carey's Riddler wasn't as bad as I had remembered (although I still think the Riddler should not be that... manic) until he changed into what I'll call the leotard costume similar to the TNBA costume... and that swayed my opinion back to the negative. I just prefer the more formal suit jacket version.
 

Jaime_Weinman

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2001
Messages
722
I'm just kind of curious why Ivy strayed so far away from what she stood for in BTAS.
I took it to be just the increasingly campy, supernatural plots of TNBA. Her only "showcase" episode in that run is "Chemistry," and that starts with such an over-the-top premise (creating a race of plant people to marry millionaires and take their money) that there's no way to play her as anything but an over-the-top campy villainess. A villain can't really be played on a human level unless he or she has a human-scale objective, but P.I.'s objective in that episode is pure Dr. Evil.
 

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
Joined
Sep 8, 2004
Messages
1,369
Location
Canada
b.t. said:
when dvd's were first being introduced into the marketplace, director butch lukic and i had several (friendly) disagreements on the subject....
Thanks for letting the fans in on the backstory about the DVD quote, B.T. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wonder about it a little bit.

Have a good day.
John Cage
 

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
Joined
May 14, 2002
Messages
9,966
Location
Ontario
Revelator said:
I've never understood what's so inexplicable or terrible about the Riddler's TNBA design, since it basically hearkens back to the original comics version, except it's a little less garish (less question marks) and makes the character look a little more theatening due to its Clockwork Orange vibe. I think the real problem is that the Riddler as a character was pretty much wasted in TNBA, and reduced to supporting roles.
Game on Revelator. I also dont have anything against the TNBA Riddler design, and I wouldnt have noticed the Clockwork Orange likeness if you hadn't pointed it out.

But yes if I've counted correctly, Riddler got a cameo in Over the Edge (yelling 'yeah!' with the others doesn't count as dialogue) and then two small appearances in Judgement Day and Knight Time, which could really have been filled by anybody. Another loss of TNBA only having 24 eps.
 

Silly McGooses

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2003
Messages
8,687
Location
Wilmington, DE
Revelator said:
I've never understood what's so inexplicable or terrible about the Riddler's TNBA design, since it basically hearkens back to the original comics version, except it's a little less garish (less question marks) and makes the character look a little more theatening due to its Clockwork Orange vibe. I think the real problem is that the Riddler as a character was pretty much wasted in TNBA, and reduced to supporting roles. The redign indicates that the creaive team was prepared to accentuate the more manic side of the character, and had he been given a chance to shine in that revamped manner, we'd probably get a few less complaints. As it is, the Riddler is a tough cookie to write for--even The Batman, which reuses the big-name villains over and over again, has only taken two swings at Mr.Nygma. It's too bad they hadn't hired Ty Templeton as a TNBA writer. I think he'd have outshown some of the writers they did hire.
Besides, it's not like they ever really got a chance to USE the design, anyway, except for several little cameos.
 

CyberCubed

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
11,292
Location
NY
Am I the only one confused as to why the writers kept pairing Harley and Ivy together? Considering they barely ever (?) interacted in B:TAS?

Were those two together in a comic or something? I've noticed this since these episodes aired on KidsWB back in the day, especially since there's one episode where Harley and Ivy are prancing around in their underwear together.

I always wondered why they decided to do that? And why was the Joker angle barely referenced when Harley was with Ivy?
 

Wade Kruse

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
864
What's so hard to follow? They became friends in "Harley and Ivy"...it only makes sense for them to be hanging out later. Unfortunately the friendship wasn't really developed at all in the show, but it has been plenty of times in the animated comics. You may not see it in the show, but they're pretty much best friends, each other's only friend really. And Harley is probably the only human being Ivy doesn't hate.

Building on the Joker aspect is a missed opportunity, I think. In BTAS, we can clearly see Ivy and Joker do not like each other. Joker loves getting under her skin, and Ivy just flat-out hates him. They're rivals, and I would have loved to see an episode where Harley is torn between them. There's a LOT of potential there for some great stories.
 

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
Joined
Sep 8, 2004
Messages
1,369
Location
Canada
CyberCubed said:
Am I the only one confused as to why the writers kept pairing Harley and Ivy together? Considering they barely ever (?) interacted in B:TAS?
They probably just liked the way they played off each other -- the goofball and the straight-man. They play off a lot better than Harley and Joker even.

That said, I actually seem to recall hearing about the Harley and Ivy mini-series in 1995, this just after their initial team-up (although my memory might be playing tricks on me). And once they did the Harley Quinn comic, they had the two together often enough so it has some basis in the comics, I suppose.

Have a good day.
John Cage
 

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Well dang. Grey DeLisle was originally scheduled to be doing a free gig this coming Saturday here in Phoenix, but she's no longer listed on the bill. I guess she had to back out. I was going to go because I love her music in addition to her VA work, but not anymore. I'm glad I didn't make a reservation.
Man, I wish I got paid for every time someone on this forum said they believed that Warner Brothers Discovery was going to ax, erase or sell off the Looney Tunes franchise. I could retire tomorrow.
Why do so many adults with no kids get so hopping mad about the existence of preschool shows and blocks? "Grr! I hate Cartoonito and Mickey Mouse Fun House! How dare they make preschool shows!" I don't get it.
Did the forum drop the swear rule? I've seen serious high tier swears and adult terms.
Just 10 more days until part 2 of Invincible's second season. Let's go!!!

Featured Posts

Top