"Batman: The Animated Series - IDW Board Games" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Coming this August 29th from IDW Games, is "Batman: The Animated Series - Gotham Under Siege Board Game" the first in a series of tabletop games based on the franchise. Box art, figures, and new art released. It involves 1-5 players using Batman and his allies protect Gotham. It is designed by Richard Launius and co-designed by Michael Guigliano. In incorporates dice allocation and threat management, character miniatures, 3D city buildings, and familiar board game elements. There will be a preview at Origins Game Fair 2018.

https://idwgames.com/batman-the-animated-series-gotham-under-siege-board-game-coming-august-2018/

https://www.wbshop.com/products/bat...&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=TWTRWBS180614

A shadowy organization is pulling the strings of all the criminal groups in Gotham. While the city has never truly been safe, lately the criminal underworld's unrest has put the city on the precipice of total destruction. It's up to Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman, and the Gotham City Police Department to stop the advancing hordes of criminals running wild on the streets, all while still working to uncover the devious plots of Gotham's greatest villains!
Batman: The Animated Series - Gotham Under Siege has you and up to 4 of your friends playing as Batman and his trusted allies. Each round you'll face off against a set of story cards all inspired by the first season of Batman: The Animated Series, and roll a pool of dice to complete actions. You'll need to balance between cleaning up the streets of Gotham and completing story missions in order to protect the city. Let too many civilians fall or buildings be destroyed, and there will be nothing left for Batman to protect!Includes 5 highly detailed miniatures!Game design from Richard Launius (Arkham Horror, Planet of the Apes)!Features all-new artwork from Sean Galloway and Leonardo Ito!

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
My birthday! Nice. That might make a nice gift. :)

The link in the initial post referenced "Subsequent releases". Would those be add-ons/expansions to the first game, or are we talking likely separate games entirely?
I'm not sure. The best bet are expansions that can function as stand alone games alternatively. I've seen some games do that.

Dreyfus

I just hope it's not too complicated. A lot of these board games get a little too tedious for younger kids. That kind of ruins the whole point of it in my eyes.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I just hope it's not too complicated. A lot of these board games get a little too tedious for younger kids. That kind of ruins the whole point of it in my eyes.
5/28: Heck, a lot of them get too tedious for adults, myself included. Those games have to be the inspiration for the Kylo Ren tantrum scenes in Star Wars.

6/29: IDW Games posted a first look.

the_joker

I'd like to get one, but for $50? That's pretty steep. Not helping is that there's going to be more board games like this.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'd like to get one, but for $50? That's pretty steep. Not helping is that there's going to be more board games like this.
6/30/18: If it's any consolation, $50 is decent compared to the board games on Kickstarter. But yeah, this trend doesn't look like it's stopping anytime soon.

5/24/19: An expansion pack called Masterminds & Mayhem is set for October 30, 2019.
(W) Richard Launius, Michael Guigliano (A) Jack Lawrence, TableTaffy

Batman's enemies were thwarted in Gotham City Under Siege, but they've returned with a vengeance in the Masterminds & Mayhem expansion! In their latest attack, the Masterminds have brought deadlier weapons, like armored cars and massive explosives, and have taken to the streets to fight alongside their hired goons. The villains' tactics have also improved, with new Rooftop Villains and Act Leader Target mechanics. Don the cape once more and help protect Gotham City from these deadly new threats!

1-5 players
o Playable from ages 14+
o 45-60 minutes

The first expansion to the award-winning game featuring custom artwork.

All-new Mastermind cards, including the Joker, Two-Face, and the Riddler.

Additional ability cards plus new villains on the rooftops and Act Leader mechanics.
In Shops: Oct 30, 2019

SRP: $14.99

There's also a Rogues Gallery game coming out in July 17, 2019.
(W) Sen-Foong Lim, Jessey Wright (A) Chris Fenoglio, Jack Lawrence, More (CA) TableTaffy

Defeat the Batman to rule the city! Gotham City's coffers are ripe for the robbing, but one thing stands in the way of the city's supervillains-the reviled Batman. It's time someone finally took out that nuisance! Choose your favorite villain, then go on crime sprees, steal powerful upgrades, recruit nefarious accomplices, and race to complete your master plan and be the first to defeat the World's Greatest Detective!

3-5 players
o Playable from ages 12+
o 30-45 minutes

Roll dice to go on crime sprees, collecting cash and avoiding capture.
Purchase various gear and accomplice cards on the black market.
Push your luck at the right moment to attract and defeat Batman.
In Shops: Jul 17, 2019

SRP: $34.99

Last edited:

iammattie

Oooh, excited for both of these! We did a playthrough of Gotham Under Siege for WDb (although, James has only put out one part of that so far.) and I had a ton of fun with it!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
7/5/19: Looks like the BTAS games will be discussed in IDW Games' SDCC panel
IDW Games: Other People's (Intellectual) Property Pop culture is virtually built upon the foundation of intellectual properties, and geek fandom loves to delve deep into the lore of beloved fictional worlds. So how do companies get the chance to create products with other people's IPs, and what does it take to make sure a product is going to please die-hard fans? Jerry Bennington and Spencer Reeve of IDW Publishing and David Preti and Geoff Skinner of CMON Limited discuss creating games and merchandise based on beloved IPs like Batman: The Animated Series, God of War, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, bloodborne, and Dragon Ball Z . Thursday July 18, 2019 2:00pm - 3:00pm Room 9

2/18/20: IDW Games has launched Kickstarter campaigns (and already made its base goal) and stretch goals for their Batman: The Animated Series Adventures' Shadow of the Bat board game and Arkham Asylum expansion. Players can use Batman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Robin, and Commissioner Gordon and get help from others like Renee Montoya, Catwoman's cat Isis, and Harvey Bullock. The villains include The Joker, Mr. Freeze, The Riddler, The Penguin, and Man-Bat. There is an Alfred Pennyworth exclusive figure as part of the Kickstarter. 1 to 4 players can either play competitively or cooperatively. In cooperative mode, the enemies are controlled by a deck of cards and simple A.I. rules, or have a fifth player can take control of the villain character in 4 vs. 1 competitive mode. There are 24 scenarios based on fan favorite episodes of the animated series.

The Arkham expansion pack has Poison Ivy, The Ventriloquist, Clock King, Maxie Zeus, Clayface, and Bud and Lou.

There is also Mask of the Phantasm story pack, the Mystery of the Batwoman story pack, and a The New Batman Adventures pack with Nightwing and Firefly.

Kickstarter site if interested in joining or for more info and pics.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts