"Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Three (2023 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Three - Rate and Discuss!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The final adventure starts here! From the visionary team behind Batman: The Animated Series and the first two seasons of Batman: The Adventures Continue comes Batman's biggest adventure yet! Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, Jordan Gibson, Kevin Altieri, Ty Templeton, Monica Kubina, and more, return for Batman: The Adventures Continue Season III!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES - SEASON THREE #1

Preview pages available at The World's Finest

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
Art by: Jordan Gibson

The Story: Alan Burnett and Paul Dini return once more to the world of Batman: The Animated Series! Someone is targeting the Muscle now that he's locked up in Blackgate Penitentiary. With his deep ties to the criminal underbelly of Gotham, the worst villains are calling for his head before he turns them over to the police! Batman will need to protect him, but can even the Dark Knight figure out where the next attack will come from?

Release Date: January 10, 2023
Format: Print, Digital
Price: $3.99

Welcome back to Gotham City! Talk all about Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Three right here at The World's Finest!

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two (2021 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Adventures Continue The World's Finest Subsite (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

My Comixology copy hasn't come in yet. Anyone else? I may just swing by the comic shop and grab it instead but I am surprised that it's not available yet there.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I said it before, I'll keep saying it. I love Jordan Gibson's art. Bummer it was just this one issue.

Pretty passable follow up to Season II expanding on the Muscle and revealing his connection to the Valestra mob as well as introducing new characters, Esther, the daughter of the late Sal Valestra from MOTP, and , and Reverend Justus Meadows. Always interesting to see mob figures team up, and we got Penguin, Black Mask, and Thorne returning from previous appearances as well as Killer Croc, now in his TNBA design, and surprise, another character Dini helped create for the show, Lock-Up. It was also great to see Janet Van Dorn back again albeit in a small role. Was a bit bummed Montoya had a small role and surprised it was a solo bit for Batman (no Nightwing at least?) but I assume it was for the sake of focusing on Muscle and slightly redeeming him. "Slightly" because I mean he still murdered a bunch of people, even said people were probably mostly criminals, too. Murder is murder.

Though a bit dour that Batman doesn't even trust a priest and said priest turns out to be a bad guy.

Favorite bit was probably Muscle making fun of Batman's laser. Dug the two date easter eggs: Esther's mug shot # is the date for MOTP's theater premiere I think while Muscle's is the date his debut comic came out on September 21, 2021.

So it was a bit of a compromise, the Muscle tried to run away but ended up teaming up with Batman to save their butts. And another instance of canon breaking/BTAC is its own AU canon, Batman "recommends" Muscle to Waller and he's shipped off to Belle Reve to work off his sentence as a Task Force X member (i.e. this series was said to be pre-JL and in the DCAU, Batman doesn't meet Waller until JLU's "Ultimatum" and doubtfully doesn't know of Task Force X until their debut episode). But still, it was a nice choice of Gibson to use the Belle Reve design we saw ever so briefly in the cold open of "Task Force X." So it seems Dini and Burnett were going to surprise us with Waller and TFX's in the ending but thanks to the advance solicits, we already knew about them showing up. Eh, still neat and hints at some more connective tissue for this season.

My Comixology copy hasn't come in yet. Anyone else? I may just swing by the comic shop and grab it instead but I am surprised that it's not available yet there.
It was later in the morning than usual for sure. @James Harvey said his came at 9 am wherever he is in Canada.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I really liked this issue. It's a (mostly) self-contained story that acts as a sequel to Season 2's "The Muscle", where the hitman/mob goon is put away at Stonegate, but because he's too much of a liability and the possibility of him turning in his employers for leniency, Gotham's underworld puts a hit on him. However, not everything as it seems. Although it's a (mostly) self-contained story, I felt it had the right amount of action and story, with some good twists and turns. Nothing felt too rushed or too slow.

Although the focus is more on The Muscle, I didn't feel like we knew a lot about him beyond his name, his face, and his religion. On one hand, it seems like a missed opportunity, especially since it didn't delve in his faith as much as it seemed it would be. And on the surface, it didn't seem to develop him much since he's still looking out for himself the entire time. On the other hand, I liked that it wasn't a full redemption either. He does grow in being open to work with Batman and saving his life, but even then his self-interest is intertwined a bit. It felt a bit more natural and realistic. And considering how the issue ends, I have a feeling we'll see more of him in the future. I also liked the mob bosses, particularly Black Mask (who actually seems like the most reasonable one of the bunch, for a change), and Esther Valestra, who has a nice connection to Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. She was amusingly bloodthirsty. And of course, we get a funny "it's da freakin' bat" line from the goons in the Arkham games, two of them pinned by Paul Dini himself.

Jordan Gibson also does another phenomenal job with this issue. He masterfully combines the sleek TNBA designs with the atmosphere and mood of B:TAS. It's fitting that he was brought in to work on the sequel to Muscle's debut, but it's also a shame that this is the last of him in the book. His work will be missed.

As far as problems go: As unexpected and cool as it was to see Lock-Up as the true chief antagonist, his motivation is pretty murky. He remarks that he enjoys killing scumbags like Muscle, but then he's working as a mob enforcer himself. Batman pointing out the hypocrisy doesn't make that better. He could've thrown a line about earning money that he needed while doing something he liked, but they never get there. And, this is more of a personal quibble than a genuine complaint, but I'm kind of annoyed that apparently Task Force X and Amanda Waller might take a bigger role this season. The team has been all over the place, so unless they do something interesting with them, I'm not super excited for it.

Still, a strong first issue. I hope the rest of the season maintains the quality.
Though a bit dour that Batman doesn't even trust a priest and said priest turns out to be a bad guy.
Yeah, that seemed overly cynical, even for this version of Batman.

Spider-Man

It was a good first issue and one of the comic's better issues in a while except for the major continuity mistake at the end with Task Force X. I loved Gibson's artwork. I love that he brings back the shadow and depth from BTAS and meshes it with the TNBA style. The TNBA revamped looks were pretty flat and lacked the depth of their BTAS counterparts and I find Gibson's shading and Kubina's coloring makes almost like the optimal version of the TNBA style. This is how the show should've looked.

I didn't pick up the print version yet but I got my digital copy and I have to say it is a big oversight that there was no 'in memory' for Kevin, either the one DC Comics put in their books a few weeks ago or something new.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I didn't pick up the print version yet but I got my digital copy and I have to say it is a big oversight that there was no 'in memory' for Kevin, either the one DC Comics put in their books a few weeks ago or something new.
The print copy of issue #1 does include the special "in memory" page.

Spider-Man

I was really happy to see that when I picked up my comics over the weekend. I also subscribed to get each of the title card variant covers as they all look pretty well done so far.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
DCAUReview has an interview with Jordan Gibson in their review episode for the issue.
-Interview starts at 40:28 mark
--Jordan and Monica were confused about the long lead time, they started on #1 around March 2022 but used the extra time to fine tune art
--Delved into the influences of the DCAU crew he wasn't familiar with yet like EC comics, Toth and art of Cooke, Murakami for example. Watched a lot of Hitchcock.
--On trying to adapt the Dark Deco style.
--Went on websites with second for second screencaps of BTAS episodes for reference.
--On designing characters like Lock-Up for the TNBA style.
--Spent the most time on Black Mask, was the most excited to draw him. Tried to stick close to his look in Season II but wanted white eyes, looked up any creepy skull designs Timm and Murakami ever drew, looked at Under the Red Hood movie and pulled a little from it.
--In notes in script, Esther Valestra was supposed to look like kind of like Liza Minnelli then got feedback from Dini or Burnett asking him to make her look more like Liza.
--Tried to keep Van Dorn the same but studied suit designs of characters in TNBA and adapted from there.
--Wondered how Waller would look in TNBA so Gibson went with white and black for her suit.
--Looked at movies for design of injection at the end.
--Learning DC used his art for the Conroy tribute page, he had no idea and saw it on Twitter, went to the comic book and bought the Audio Adventures comic just to see the page, got to meet Conroy at a con in Austin when he was on a panel with Pershing, Glover, and Barbeau, remembers walking in a hall and hearing Conroy's voice.
--Also pulled from Marshall Rogers' Batman art like the flowing cape and Batarang throw.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I liked that his first impulse for Black Mask was to make him more like his classic version, because that's one I prefer too. I do like the detail he added with the burn marks around the neck, implying it's burned onto his skin like in the comics.

Liza Minnelli as Esther is also fun "casting".

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World’s Finest recently caught up with artist Jordan Gibson to discuss his work on the acclaimed DC Comics title Batman: The Adventures Continue! Find out what Gibson has to say on comics, life, Batman and more right here!

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
The World’s Finest recently caught up with artist Jordan Gibson to discuss his work on the acclaimed DC Comics title Batman: The Adventures Continue! Find out what Gibson has to say on comics, life, Batman and more right here!

Neat interview! And I'm loving the concept art, as well as the Batman vs. Az-Bats piece.

And of course, here's Jordan Gibson's title card for "Muscle Out".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today i learned that David Cronenberg (The Fly, Scanners) has a son who’s also a director and i saw a very psychedelic arthouse film made by him called Infinity Pool. I hope he becomes a more high profile director some day.

I wouldn’t recommend it to people who don’t watch arthouse movies though. It’s also very adult-oriented if you know what i mean
Update on the M&M's situation. He has reliable sources in this video.
Review Metabee wrote on DaGangOfToonz's profile.
is there any chance you are stoonsarchvie/sheetposter
Was "Xiaolin Chronicles" dubbed in both European Spanish and Latin American Spanish, like "Xiaolin Showdown"?

Featured Posts